Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 09:10 PM

Re: Windows 10’s October 2019 cumulative updates are now available - KB4517389

Originally Posted by JBR ->
You're right. I do!

Interesting. If I permit ALL smaller updates as they arrive does that mean that the next major update will complete much more quickly?

If so, I'd be happy to do that.

The other question on my mind is what would happen if I managed to avoid ALL future updates? After all, I have noticed no improvements since the last one, or even any of the earlier ones.

Naturally, I'd be happy to update Windows Defender for obvious reasons.
Major updates will take a long time to complete regardless of whether you allow smaller updates to install in between those major updates.

Updates nearly always do something underneath the bonnet that won't necessarily be noticed. They might often fix some bug that you personally might never come across. However you could do and hence the fixes. It's for sure that some users will have reported bugs for Microsoft to issue fixes for them.

I know there are people who test the OS and deliberately look for potential problems. To find them, they probably use the computer ways we don't.

Once a bug or vulnerability has been uncovered and reported, I'd say it's better to fix it (them) before the general populace could possibly come across them. Some updates might break other aspects of the OS but unfortunately, this seems to be a part of all platforms, not just Windows 10.

The test of blocking updates can always be done but because of the above, I never see the point of that. To see how obscure some updates are, take a look at this page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4520008

You can see some of the work that goes on in the background and also see some of the known issues that are yet to be fixed. It's always going to be an ongoing process.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Major updates will take a long time to complete regardless of whether you allow smaller updates to install in between those major updates.

Updates nearly always do something underneath the bonnet that won't necessarily be noticed. They might often fix some bug that you personally might never come across. However you could do and hence the fixes. It's for sure that some users will have reported bugs for Microsoft to issue fixes for them.

I know there are people who test the OS and deliberately look for potential problems. To find them, they probably use the computer ways we don't.

Once a bug or vulnerability has been uncovered and reported, I'd say it's better to fix it (them) before the general populace could possibly come across them. Some updates might break other aspects of the OS but unfortunately, this seems to be a part of all platforms, not just Windows 10.

The test of blocking updates can always be done but because of the above, I never see the point of that. To see how obscure some updates are, take a look at this page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4520008

You can see some of the work that goes on in the background and also see some of the known issues that are yet to be fixed. It's always going to be an ongoing process.
What you say makes a great deal of sense, of course. I could continue to take my chances and, hopefully, never suffer any problems. I'll have to think about it.

Nevertheless, one thing that I feel Microsoft really should do is to announce the projected size of forthcoming updates, perhaps simply announcing 'routine' or 'major' updates. I would then know not to allow a major update until I have a couple of hours to spare not needing to use the computer.

Surely that's not asking too much?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 10:17 PM

Nevertheless, one thing that I feel Microsoft really should do is to announce the projected size of forthcoming updates, perhaps simply announcing 'routine' or 'major' updates. I would then know not to allow a major update until I have a couple of hours to spare not needing to use the computer.

Surely that's not asking too much?
No it isn't. I think that would be a good improvement to the update procedure. In the meantime, there's always someone on the forum who will keep an eye on when major updates are being released and then give a warning,

As said, the next major update is '1909', so if you see this in the description of any pending update, you'd know to put it off until you have some hours of computer time to spare.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 10:22 PM

No it isn't. I think that would be a good improvement to the update procedure. In the meantime, there's always someone on the forum who will keep an eye on when major updates are being released and then give a warning,

As said, the next major update is '1909', so if you see this in the description of any pending update, you'd know to put it off until you have some hours of computer time to spare.
Thanks. That's helpful.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 12:16 AM

Windows 10 Start menu problems: We'll fix them in late October, says Microsoft

https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...ays-microsoft/

Microsoft acknowledges Start menu critical-error warnings and says the issue will be fixed later this month.

Early last week, some users began reporting that the KB4524147 security update was causing printer problems, while others said they were seeing a 'critical error' message stating that the Start menu isn't working. Some users resolved the broken Start menu by uninstalling the update.

Then on last week's Patch Tuesday Microsoft released KB4517389, addressing the printer-spooler problem that surfaced after users installed an update on September 23, according to Microsoft's known-issues page for Windows 10 version 1903.

But while Microsoft acknowledged and appears to have fixed the printer problems, last week it hadn't found the Start menu issues affecting a large number of users. Nonetheless, it said it was investigating, according to Windows Latest.

It has since spotted a post from a Microsoft engineer on the Microsoft Answers site who says a fix will arrive in late October.

"We are aware of this issue and estimate a resolution to be released in late October," the Microsoft employee said in a post on Saturday.

The timing suggests that the fix could arrive in one of Microsoft's optional updates that usually happen towards the end of the month.
Better late than never .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

15-10-2019, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Windows 10 Start menu problems: We'll fix them in late October, says Microsoft

https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...ays-microsoft/

Better late than never .....
Have you had start menu problems?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 10:30 AM

Have you had start menu problems?
Yes ..... Windows 10 KB4512941 caused the task bar search box to become inactive and therefore unusable. Additionally, Cortana grabbed 33% of the CPU and 300 MB of memory, making the whole PC almost unusable.

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

15-10-2019, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Yes ..... Windows 10 KB4512941 caused the task bar search box to become inactive and therefore unusable. Additionally, Cortana grabbed 33% of the CPU and 300 MB of memory, making the whole PC almost unusable.

Ah, I see.

After that last 2 hour update I did recently, I found that Cortana had changed; it would no longer provide a search box.
However, I found a separate search facility (a magnifying glass icon) right next to it. That is all I want.
Cortana is neither use nor ornament to me so I deleted it. It's still there, of course; Microsoft dictate that I can't completely delete it, but at least it's not clogging up the task bar.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

15-10-2019, 02:24 PM

Windows search has its merits but if you want a search utility that just searches for files/folders on the computer, there are some third-party programs that are better than Windows' own search. I use one called 'Everything'. It is very fast and comes in handy occasionally:

https://www.voidtools.com
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

15-10-2019, 04:54 PM

Windows search has its merits but if you want a search utility that just searches for files/folders on the computer, there are some third-party programs that are better than Windows' own search. I use one called 'Everything'. It is very fast and comes in handy occasionally:

https://www.voidtools.com
Downloaded. Excellent! Thank you very much.

(My eyes popped out of their sockets when I saw it was free.)

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top