Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 01:53 PM

Golupsti (Stuffed Cabbage Leaves)

Morning all, Please forgive this rather bloggy post. Just thought I would share this recipe my brother’s Russian fiancee kindly gave me yesterday. She actually took the time to sit down with me while I typed out the ingredients, method, etc, which was very kind. She said I would easily find an online video to accompany it for OFF, (which I have).

I had to laugh. She came to lunch yesterday before returning home today. I had slowly cooked a nice Rib of Beef and served it with new potatoes, tiny roast potatoes, carrots, cabbage, horseradish and a lovely rich home-made beef gravy,(never fails). Followed by a Raspberry Lattice Tart (used Frozen Raspberries AND frozen shortcrust pastry because I just cannot make decent pastry.) but I wasn’t telling fibs when I said that I had made it! (ahem).

She seemed to thoroughly enjoy her meal, but surprised me when she said that in Russia, they never ever do a “Sunday Roast” by putting meat and vegetables separately onto a plate,and it took her by surprise when my brother first took her to our lovely local Carvery and watched as people put the ingredients separately onto the plate. It’s just not something they do in Russia. But she is going to do a Sunday Roast one Sunday for her children and families when they next visit her at home and see how they react.
So there you are, something we both learned.

She also made me smile when she told me that a Russian teacher colleague married to an English man informed her of the following valuable information…..Never, ever try to change an Englishman from enjoying his two favourite meals, Don’t even bother to attempt it,
One. His Hot Cooked English Breakfast, and Two, His Roast Dinner! Sound advice! Not for them the famous continental breakfast.. Last time he was in Russia, she did her best and served him two soft fried eggs on toast for him for Breakfast, he appreciated it rather than the small dish of cereal followed by a selection of cold sliced eggs with ham, cheese, croissants, rolls and fruit juice, as she had. Why are Englishmen so set on hot breakfasts I wonder? I personally love a continental breakfast,

Anyway, I digress, Here is the recipe she kindly passed to me. I have searched online and found one that has exactly same ingredients as hers, so hope you enjoy it.

https://vikalinka.com/cabbage-rolls-golubtsi/

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 07:33 AM

Re: Golupsti (Stuffed Cabbage Leaves)

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

She seemed to thoroughly enjoy her meal, but surprised me when she said that in Russia, they never ever do a “Sunday Roast” by putting meat and vegetables separately onto a plate,and it took her by surprise when my brother first took her to our lovely local Carvery and watched as people put the ingredients separately onto the plate. It’s just not something they do in Russia. But she is going to do a Sunday Roast one Sunday for her children and families when they next visit her at home and see how they react.
So there you are, something we both learned.

https://vikalinka.com/cabbage-rolls-golubtsi/

How would they serve a meal in Russia?

Recipe sounds delicious - will definitely try it. Thank you.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
How would they serve a meal in Russia?

Recipe sounds delicious - will definitely try it. Thank you.
Hi ST, She said that even if they have for example, a beautiful joint of beef, they would slice it before cooking and make it into a dish with several other ingredients and then cooked in either a sauce or gravy. They would never normally cook a joint first, slice it and place it on a plate individually as we do with a roast dinner.0

Dinner apparently is a family affair in Russia, it's the one family meal that every member sits down to and no-one eats until every member of the family is home, so they don't usually eat until late, 7-8 pm in the evening.
She says that their dinners are heavier than British dinners, (the women usually cook far more than is required as it is thought extremely rude to any guest if they are potentially still hungry after eating dinner)

Dinner usually starts with soup, usually Borsche, which as a meat-based soup complete with sour cream, can sometimes be as filling as a regular meal, and that is just the starter!.
Then, to accompany the meat course that follows, there is almost always one or two side salad dishes which can be rather heavy, usually containing mayonnaise potatoes, beetroot, onion, pickles and sliced meat, then comes the meat dish itself, usually a chicken dish, or meatballs usually in a tomato based sauce, served with mashed potatoes, buckwheat or pasta..
No Russian family ever serves a dinner without a huge platter of Rye bread on the table.
And.........on top of that, TEA is usually the dessert, alcohol is always served with dinner, usually wine or vodka. My brother said that it is considered the height of insult not to have a drink if offered. How she has stayed lovely and slim I will never fathom out!. I guess they have to eat heavy food to combat the bitter cold there.

Oh, almost forget to mention. Most Russian people do not usually go out to dinner in restaurants. That is rather a new concept in the cities there and most people's budgets do not take eating out into account unless quite wealthy. They do go to each family dinners often though and once seated at the table, it's usually a minimum 3 to 4 hours! Again, she told me that it is considered extremely rude for any guest not to take a gift to the hostess for the evening. (flowers or chocolates).

It's very interesting the things I learn each time we have a good chinwag about her home country.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 02:09 PM

Thanks, Shropshiregirl. Isn't it interesting how other people do things? Dinner in Russia sounds quite substantial!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

20-11-2019, 11:51 AM

LOL, Certainly does sound substantial ST! Makes my oft Jacket Potato with Baked Beans or Beans on Toast with Grated Cheese, accompanied by a jug of water or glass of Robinson's Orange Squash sound rather meagre compared to those meals.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top