Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 08:56 PM

Hillsborough finally put to bed.

So the witch hunt where there never was a witch is finally put to bed.

Dave Duckenfield the police commander who was being scapegoated over the deaths of 95 Scouse football "fans" who stampeded in an attempt to force entry into the Hillsborough ground and died because rather than face a full blown riot Commander Duckenfield ordered the doors to be opened and in their "excited" state the "fans" crushed each other.

Rather than accept that the tragedy was the fault of the "excited" fans, some who were apparently very "excited" back in "The 'Pool" the natives set about looking for some third party to blame.

They picked on the police in general and poor old Dave in particular.

Finally he has been cleared of gross misconduct which was the charge leveled against him.

Reading reports in the MSM the response from The Pool is that this is not justice. Pretty obvious they wanted someone to blame rather than face that it was the behaviour of the fans, many of whom were "excited" to varying degrees. They don't want justice, that is what has been delivered.

They wanted a witch to burn.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 09:20 PM

Re: Hillsborough finally put to bed.

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
So the witch hunt where there never was a witch is finally put to bed.

Dave Duckenfield the police commander who was being scapegoated over the deaths of 95 Scouse football "fans" who stampeded in an attempt to force entry into the Hillsborough ground and died because rather than face a full blown riot Commander Duckenfield ordered the doors to be opened and in their "excited" state the "fans" crushed each other.

Rather than accept that the tragedy was the fault of the "excited" fans, some who were apparently very "excited" back in "The 'Pool" the natives set about looking for some third party to blame.

They picked on the police in general and poor old Dave in particular.

Finally he has been cleared of gross misconduct which was the charge leveled against him.

Reading reports in the MSM the response from The Pool is that this is not justice. Pretty obvious they wanted someone to blame rather than face that it was the behaviour of the fans, many of whom were "excited" to varying degrees. They don't want justice, that is what has been delivered.

They wanted a witch to burn.
I think they need someone to blame so they can make sense of their family member dying in that tragedy. They need someone held accountable because they need closure. The outcome of the case hasn't given them any closure or answers as to why their loved one died. Their deaths make no sense with the not guilty outcome.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I think they need someone to blame so they can make sense of their family member dying in that tragedy. They need someone held accountable because they need closure. The outcome of the case hasn't given them any closure or answers as to why their loved one died. Their deaths make no sense with the not guilty outcome.
I agree with all of this LQ. I remember this mega-tragedy. IT was a shocker. I see the point of the added tragedy of one person being singled out for blame. Regardless of what he may not have done to prevent the tragedy - and I know nothing about the details- it is the height of unfairness to focus the grief and anger of all those families on one man. But this always happens. I don't think accountability, blame and focussed anger does provide closure on these kinds of occasions. It's an unavoidable by product of disaster and sudden death - JUst ask any coroner. It just has to be ridden out with maximum reason and fairness. Not always the case.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
A good start would be to blame the mob whose awful behaviour left the police with the choice of standing firm against a big mob many of whom were "excited" and which would have definitely have resulted in many injuries - or worse or on the other hand just let the mob in.

I really don't believe that any of the police that day expected that what should have been by far the least worst of two options would have resulted in such gross behaviour as took place.

How about placing the blame on the behaviour of the mob?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 11:42 PM

Mobs are unpredictable, procedure can go out the window.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
A good start would be to blame the mob whose awful behaviour left the police with the choice of standing firm against a big mob many of whom were "excited" and which would have definitely have resulted in many injuries - or worse or on the other hand just let the mob in.

I really don't believe that any of the police that day expected that what should have been by far the least worst of two options would have resulted in such gross behaviour as took place.

How about placing the blame on the behaviour of the mob?
Especially those who went knowing full well that they wouldn't get in without a ticket.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 01:23 AM

One of the most influential pieces of sociological study on crowd behaviour ever done was "The Crowd" by Gustav le Bon. It is worth a read.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 09:23 AM

I wonder how it would be done now in the same circumstances , would the excited crowd be allowed through, would the gates be opened , or pushed back .

I dont see it was one mans fault , an awful dilemma which he has lived with since . Uncontrolled crowds very scarey

A terrible situation
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
One of the most influential pieces of sociological study on crowd behaviour ever done was "The Crowd" by Gustav le Bon. It is worth a read.

Keezoy I'm listening to it now on YouTube. How interesting . Thankyou
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 09:46 AM

Hi

British Justice, very proud of it.

Twelve ordinary people have made the decision

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top