Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2013, 03:32 PM

Re: Key to any successful relationship

Originally Posted by SOUL DJ ->
I'm talking about any relationship, so parents/children, siblings, friends, couples; what is vital for any relationship to be successful?
I'll start with trust and respect, lose either and the relationship can go down the pan, both and forget it!
Done my jokey response, now a genuine one: -
Soul DJ is right on the button - trust and respect is absolutely imperative in my opinion but that has to be worked at.
I'd add honesty too because people do sense honesty because it shows in the face, no matter how hard some liars try to decieve you.

As I said, I'm deaf so I observe facial expressions and body language far more than most.

When I was a lot younger I used to find that I judged people by appearances but I soon found out that you must try to avoid that at all costs or you will miss out on meeting some really amazing people that will enhance your own life.
I once drove out into the desert in Saudi Arabia for 4 hours seeing nothing and nobody then crested a dune to find a Bedouin camp next to where the jobsite was.

All the expats I was working with were already there, sitting in the Bedou tent drinking tea with our new-found friends!

The Bedou men were all armed to the teeth but wreathed in Gold-toothed smiles - they do love meeting other people and have a great sense of humour

Humour is the great ice-breaker and I've got myself out of potentially awkward situations on several occasions by using humour, often with non-English speakers like these people.

Humour has no set language so get someone smiling or laughing and you are halfway there! stevmk2
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2013, 04:25 PM

Friendship above all else for me which of course means trust, respect etc but it also means that when you think a friend has let you down by not doing what you expected him/her to do then you know there's a darn good reason and that's when your friendship is needed most
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2013, 04:31 PM

Really like your post Steve, appearances can be deceiving... Humour 'is' so important, it does bind us together, but then, for me anyway, depends on the humour, sometimes I am really put off !
Your comment on the Bedouins, made me curious, I watch a lot of docus on different cultures - what about the language barrier...?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2013, 05:11 PM

Excellent post Steve
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2013, 07:32 PM

Choose your parents very carefully.

As philip Larkin put it....

They f**k you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

As for your 'partner' - I recon you'll know it when you find the right one.
40 years this year. We have a lot in common and some interests purely of our own. - it works fine for us.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2013, 07:35 PM

Yes, he was very insightful wasn't he? Summed it up for us all, did old Phil.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2013, 07:36 PM

Ha-ha George - you cant 'choose' your parents, unfortunately....
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

07-03-2013, 02:56 PM

the key to a successful relationship IMO is both being on the same page - 'equal footing' unless you have that one is subordinate to the other and one gives more and the other takes more. If you both respect each other spiritual oneness and equality then you are able to respond as one. Anything less is subservience.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

07-03-2013, 03:09 PM

Agree with that - good post Davo....
May take a while to get there, but worth it, back to communication...
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

07-03-2013, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
the key to a successful relationship IMO is both being on the same page - 'equal footing' unless you have that one is subordinate to the other and one gives more and the other takes more. If you both respect each other spiritual oneness and equality then you are able to respond as one. Anything less is subservience.
I expected to be on an equal footing with my husband right from the second we married 44 years ago, this year. I don't do subservience to anyone or anything.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top