Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2013, 08:51 PM

Re: A letter to David "CONMAN" Cameron "You worry me"

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
No, you are right it is not racism it is Xenophobia. A difference people seem unable to grasp.
Actually it is neither - it is simply people being fed up to the back teeth with radical change that they have neither asked for nor want. My nearest neighbours are Romany (settled), Pakistani, Indian, Nigerian and English and every single one of them is concerned about unlimited immigration - none of us have any negative feelings towards foreigners but we know from bitter experience that our local infrastructure just cannot cope with any more incomers, no matter where they come from. Our hospitals are full to the brim, as are our schools. It takes three weeks to get a doctors appointment and despite both government and council stating clearly that immigrants and asylum seekers get no access to social housing, our small estate now has a dozen Somali families while indigenous and long-term immigrant families are on waiting lists for 15 years or more.
Concern about these things is justified and, as I sdaid, is neither racism nor xenophobia.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2013, 11:16 AM

How absurd! The indigenous inhabitants were swamped by the Norse, Angles, Saxons and Normans centuries ago. Far too late to say they are a minority now.

No, you are right it is not racism it is Xenophobia. A difference people seem unable to grasp.
Given Britain's history of being invaded and overtaken (as you have pointed out), maybe it's no small wonder that the Brits can have a knee-jerk reaction on this subject; maybe it's a built-in reflex - history has taught them to be wary of large numbers of foreigners appearing on their shores!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Given Britain's history of being invaded and overtaken (as you have pointed out), maybe it's no small wonder that the Brits can have a knee-jerk reaction on this subject; maybe it's a built-in reflex - history has taught them to be wary of large numbers of foreigners appearing on their shores!
Karen darlin' - in years past, when the population grew too large we exported the surplus to far flung places around the globe - some even went to Australia
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2013, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Karen darlin' - in years past, when the population grew too large we exported the surplus to far flung places around the globe - some even went to Australia
They certainly did in 1787 but due to a clerical error muddled up all the paperwork and shipped all the people not convicted of a crime to Australia and left the criminals behind.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2013, 01:57 PM

They certainly did in 1787 but due to a clerical error muddled up all the paperwork and shipped all the people not convicted of a crime to Australia and left the criminals behind.
Errm Bruce matey - how do you account for Ned Kelly et al???
and what of the prison hulks in and around Sydney??? - It certainly seems that the paperwork wasn't confused, that the Justices and Magistrates did export the right individuals after all.
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2013, 03:47 PM

I try to check when something like this arrives but as they change the title and the people within the letter it is not always easy to establish authenticity.

One factor that fuels the spread of chain letters is that they encourage people to pass them on to all their friends etc.

This leads many of us to forward chain letters like this one without regard to their origins, initial intent or long-term effects.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 04:56 AM

Errm Bruce matey - how do you account for Ned Kelly et al???
and what of the prison hulks in and around Sydney??? - It certainly seems that the paperwork wasn't confused, that the Justices and Magistrates did export the right individuals after all.
Easy to clear up... Ned Kelly wasn't even born until 70 years after the first fleet arrived and there were never any prison hulks in Australia they were a purely English phenomenon (read Great Expectations?). All the vessels of the first fleet returned to the UK (or sank on the way back) only a couple of naval vessels remained for use by the administration of the new colony - HMS Syrius and HMS Supply. Within a year Syrius was sent urgently to Cape Town (and later China) for supplies for the near starving colony.

HMS Syrius' Anchor

Read The Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes then get back to me.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 08:15 AM

Ooh Uncle Joe - you have no idea of the restraint I have been showing on this thread about that very subject
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

11-03-2013, 05:35 AM

Weren't they the lucky ones?

ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2013, 11:54 AM

I sent a letter to David Scameron ....I ASKED for his response ..His views to a variety of questions...I was surprised when i got a answer...it was from some little office erk with a foreign name all it said was that i would get more appropriate answers from another department ....in other words speak to the monkey not the organ grinder ......
PS i have no love for Cameron IDS or this government...as they have destroyed my life and future ...they are slowly KILLING MY SON along with 1000's of other innocent victims of their policies

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top