Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2013, 01:44 PM

Re: Arthur Scargill - the miners' hero.

Don't think Scargill was in it to be "Mr Popularity", It doesn't matter if you have two opposing ideologies at conflict in society (1970s-80s), provided you have moderation in the middle.
Scargill was right for the time, to balance out the extremes at the other end of the political spectrum, maybe a bit more demarcation between the political parties would be a good thing now, who knows.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2013, 01:46 PM

Agree with that too - he had a hard task thats for sure...
It matters not a jot what i thought of him, the miners were priority...
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2013, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
However you feel about the miners on a personal level, the question must be what other course of action could there be when an industry is producing something that is no longer needed?

Should we have kept paying the miners to produce millions of tons of coal which no-one could afford to burn? Many industries have boomed and then become redundant through progress on other fronts, and those industries have been killed off by that progress. What makes the miners' case any different ?

As for Scargill I doubt many people will mourn him, he was a bully first and a fool second. "Lions led by donkeys" was the phrase often used at the time I believe...
Yes they certainly were "Lions led by donkeys" Barry.

I don't know how anyone can say that the coal industry is producing something that is no longer needed. The top and bottom of it was that there was a mission to destroy the coal industry in this country and import all our needs instead and this was down to the policies of the Conservative government of the day - and Margaret Thatcher was instrumental in that destruction along with Scargill - two huge egos that would not negotiate.

If anyone is interested please take a look at the attached link - Statistics from the World Coal Association will indicate how much coal is being extracted and how much the world does actually still rely on coal. We did not need to lose our industry at all - it was politics pure and simple, plus maybe a bit of the economics of the day and it was a stupid blind and ignorant policy and Margaret Thatcher was hugely instrumental in the downfall of the coal industry in this country. It was not necessary.

http://www.worldcoal.org/resources/coal-statistics/
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2013, 01:54 PM

I know Rena... seen the docus - thats why my heartfelt loyalty is worldwide
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2013, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Don't think Scargill was in it to be "Mr Popularity", It doesn't matter if you have two opposing ideologies at conflict in society (1970s-80s), provided you have moderation in the middle.
Scargill was right for the time, to balance out the extremes at the other end of the political spectrum, maybe a bit more demarcation between the political parties would be a good thing now, who knows.
I disagree - Scargill was not right for the time Spitfire. History has shown that.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

11-03-2013, 02:06 PM

Whilst I am on the subject of the coal industry - please tell me why - if coal is not needed in this country - are we now the seventh largest importer of coal in the world - with Germany just in front and being sixth ?
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2013, 03:06 PM

Something that is no longer needed Plantman?

What about the power stations that now have to buy coal imported from other countries?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2013, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Michael ? I'm Robert..
Sorry Robert, senior moment I fear...
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2013, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
Something that is no longer needed Plantman?

What about the power stations that now have to buy coal imported from other countries?
It is hard to argue the fact that our reliance, and therefore our need for coal was fast diminishing. Ships and locomotives were all starting to use oil and diesel, power stations were being converted to natural gas and nuclear, and coal domestic heating was virtually redundant…even miners were giving up their coal free allowance in favour of a payment towards their gas bill! Yes the country still burns some coal and will for the foreseeable future, but you have to admit that times had moved on and things had to change.
The main cause of the total decimation of the industry rather than a downsizing of course, was the fact that powerful union bosses such as Scargill were using the miners as cannon fodder in their war against the government. The virtual anarchy of the unions had nearly brought the country to it’s knees before, when they brought down the Labour government of Jim Callaghan in 1979, and now they tried to continue the battle against Mrs Thatcher’s government. It was a battle the government could not afford to lose and the miners were therefore masters of their own demise as they blindly followed their union masters who arrogantly fought to impose their will on the rest of the country. Mrs Thatcher had to win this battle, and it was because of the unions that the industry was decimated because they would not negotiate any other way forward. It was they themselves who decided on the battle, and ultimately it was they themselves that dictated the outcome, with Mrs. Thatcher and the conservative government being a very convenient scapegoat for the miner's own abject stupidity.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2013, 07:41 PM

[I have the greatest respect for Miners, any one who goes underground to dig coal is deservice of respect but I also think they were ruined by the unions.Men working in appaling conditions used by conniving little no-bodies.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top