Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2013, 07:59 PM

Re: Arthur Scargill - the miners' hero.

all my brothers was miners and my farther
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2013, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by pixie ->
all my brothers was miners and my farther
Whats the situation like in Canada Pixie...
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2013, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
However you feel about the miners on a personal level, the question must be what other course of action could there be when an industry is producing something that is no longer needed?

Should we have kept paying the miners to produce millions of tons of coal which no-one could afford to burn? Many industries have boomed and then become redundant through progress on other fronts, and those industries have been killed off by that progress. What makes the miners' case any different ?

As for Scargill I doubt many people will mourn him, he was a bully first and a fool second. "Lions led by donkeys" was the phrase often used at the time I believe...
Whatever you say Scargill was proved absolutely spot on, he forecast what was going to happen, and who said the UK doesn't want coal? Imports
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 01:03 AM

It was a clash of the Titans. She used all the powers of the state against them, there could be and only was one winner.
The majority of the miners followed Scargill and not blindly. They were far from the ignorant men from times gone by. They knew exactly what they were going into and why.
It was a year long strike that caused rifts and suffering, the support for the miners was fantastic. There will never be their like again.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 09:51 AM

The selfishness of the miners and the arrogance of the unions destroyed the coal industry for not seeing the writing on the wall. Much of the industry could have continued if they had modernised and streamlined it, but the intransigence and the political ambitions of the unions prevented that.

The buck stops with the strikers and their union masters and no-one else. No government can allow itself to be blackmailed by a minority, particularly by one that is so unrepresentative of the majority...
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
It is hard to argue the fact that our reliance, and therefore our need for coal was fast diminishing. Ships and locomotives were all starting to use oil and diesel, power stations were being converted to natural gas and nuclear, and coal domestic heating was virtually redundant…even miners were giving up their coal free allowance in favour of a payment towards their gas bill! Yes the country still burns some coal and will for the foreseeable future, but you have to admit that times had moved on and things had to change.
The main cause of the total decimation of the industry rather than a downsizing of course, was the fact that powerful union bosses such as Scargill were using the miners as cannon fodder in their war against the government. The virtual anarchy of the unions had nearly brought the country to it’s knees before, when they brought down the Labour government of Jim Callaghan in 1979, and now they tried to continue the battle against Mrs Thatcher’s government. It was a battle the government could not afford to lose and the miners were therefore masters of their own demise as they blindly followed their union masters who arrogantly fought to impose their will on the rest of the country. Mrs Thatcher had to win this battle, and it was because of the unions that the industry was decimated because they would not negotiate any other way forward. It was they themselves who decided on the battle, and ultimately it was they themselves that dictated the outcome, with Mrs. Thatcher and the conservative government being a very convenient scapegoat for the miner's own abject stupidity.
Absolutely correct plantman - Arthur Scargill vowed to destroy Thatcher's government and he lost - once he had thrown down the gauntlet to them, what else were they supposed to do? Although I greatly admire the concept of unions (if they are needed), they are largely to blame for the reason that the British worker priced themselves, and Britain, out of ability to trade at a price that others wanted to buy and, ultimately, sent our cost of living sky-rocketing.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Absolutely correct plantman - Arthur Scargill vowed to destroy Thatcher's government and he lost - once he had thrown down the gauntlet to them, what else were they supposed to do? Although I greatly admire the concept of unions (if they are needed), they are largely to blame for the reason that the British worker priced themselves, and Britain, out of ability to trade at a price that others wanted to buy and, ultimately, sent our cost of living sky-rocketing.
I think what you say is partly true ben-varrey, but Thatcher was also intent on destroying the NUM as well. She didn't intend anything to stand in her way and I have reservations that what she did was wholly in the interest of the country - it became a personal vendetta and a battle between two people with huge egos and an unwillingness to compromise. Also, other countries came into the equation and those countries were not so fussy about how they obtained their coal or how they used their human resources to get it. Because of this they had "cheap" coal and sold it cheaper. The policy was to import this cheap coal rather than our own. This was OK when the pound was stronger, but now it is much weaker we are paying a higher price for this imported coal. However, unfortunatley we are now reliant on it, so maybe closing our industry down wouldn't make as much economic sense today.
Both sides were to blame for the demise of our coal industry and I will never believe that almost total destruction was necessary. We, as taxpayers, and the miners certainly paid the price for those closures. If it is all totalled up it perhaps could be shown that the decisions made were not so necessary after all. I wonder if anyone has taken all the costs into the equation (redundanncies, long term welfare, enduring unemployment, future costs to import, etc. etc.). Maybe no-one dare do it.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 01:58 PM

Both sides were to blame for the demise of our coal industry and I will never believe that almost total destruction was necessary. We, as taxpayers, and the miners certainly paid the price for those closures. If it is all totalled up it perhaps could be shown that the decisions made were not so necessary after all. I wonder if anyone has taken all the costs into the equation (redundanncies, long term welfare, enduring unemployment, future costs to import, etc. etc.). Maybe no-one dare do it.
BIB I agree with - it came to a clash between the unions and the government and, to be fair, the unions frequently overstepped the mark in my opinion though that is not to decry the good they certainly did; they just went too far. It wasn't just closure of the coal mines though - the steel industry went too along with pretty much anything else we manufactured. I can't help but think that British labour just became too expensive to use and for any employer, its biggest overhead is labour.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Well it was about time the 'fat cats' took less - and gave the miners and their like a decent wage....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

12-03-2013, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Well it was about time the 'fat cats' took less - and gave the miners and their like a decent wage....
Governments (all of them) will always support big business (as opposed to small/medium business) which is why each government pays lip service to the lot of them. A decent wage will be determined by the cost of living so the government (any of them) could have, and still can, play a huge part in what demands are made for pay. Sadly, it seems as though we have a society that is all about getting as much as possible for as little as possible.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top