Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2013, 11:51 PM

War

A soldier has been awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross medal for bravery, a member of the Clergy has praised (maybe rightly so) his actions that led to his death. Should the Clergy of whatever denomination have a stance on any result of War and killing, or should they for the sake of humanity, denounce all acts of war?.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2013, 02:05 AM

Re: War

What was the action? That may have a bearing on why a member of clergy would speak up. Did the solder give his life to save others, for example?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2013, 08:07 AM

Yes. I believe that his actions were intended to save the lives of others.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2013, 08:39 AM

I get where you're coming from spitfire but in days of olde, many of the religious orders were also warriors (Knight's Templar is one example) so they haven't always been the peace-loving, non-political group that they later became (and that came about because they abused the position!). Sometimes, I think it could be a good thing if they did become more involved and aired an opinion as they're still members of society and may well have useful things to add.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2013, 09:46 AM

I think the Cleric has mentioned the bravery of this young lad because for one he was only 23 years old and secondly he threw himself on a grenade to save the other younger soldiers around him. He was the Lance Corporal so he has the job of looking after the runts as they are called. He deserves the Victoria Cross but a shame he had to die to gain it.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

17-03-2013, 10:20 AM

What do you do let the enemy walk all over you because you have renounced war? Whilst it might be the ideal, unless EVERYONE signs up then you have to fight if an enemy is at the door.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2013, 06:56 PM

Another son lost because some fool in the Govt thinks "oh yes we will be there for you" whether its our business or not.Another Mother left to cry.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2013, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
Another son lost because some fool in the Govt thinks "oh yes we will be there for you" whether its our business or not.Another Mother left to cry.
Yes Annie, that's what I think of too everytime I hear we've lost another, they shouldn't even be out there!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
Yes Annie, that's what I think of too everytime I hear we've lost another, they shouldn't even be out there!
And the British still believe they live in a democracy
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2013, 10:16 AM

All summed up in the well known saying: "praise the Lord and pass the ammunition".

In most wars, both sides claim they have 'god' on their side - what hypocracy!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top