Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2013, 12:26 PM

Re: The Budget

Anyway - did the budget do anything positive for the majority ? - will it really make any difference ? is it more juggling about with less and less? and/or is it more of the same medicine which will eventually prove toxic and further the demise of choice and democracy for all?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2013, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Anyway - did the budget do anything positive for the majority ? - will it really make any difference ? is it more juggling aobut with less and less? and/or is it more of the same medicine which will eventually prove toxic and further the demise of choice and democracy for all?

Seems more and more members of this forum are coming round to my way of thinking Rena darlin'. swopping one bunch of politicians for a different set of politicians won't change things too much. What is needed is a radical change in the system of government.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2013, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Only by the lemmings who repeatedly voted Tory, notwithstanding the evidence before their eyes that she destroyed our manufacturing industries, as well as the coal mines, squandered £millions in sending the 'gun boats' 8000 miles into the South Atlantic to wrest back a bunch of tiny islands which are of no strategic use to us anyway.
I would also add the lemmings who keep voting Labour - Labour, the last two governments they ran, have left the UK in deep debt. Why anyone votes for either of them is a total mystery to me. Such a shame Gordon sold off the water and the gold, I could list more but what's the point; it's gone and most of Britain is owned by foreign corporations. I suppose you get what you asked for.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2013, 01:23 PM

But those islands are of great value to the people that live there, and were and are British Territory. The residents there want them to stay that way, I wonder what the people in the Isle of Man would say if they were attacked by a country claiming that
it belonged to that country, oh its only an island, no use to Britain, let them have it
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2013, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
But those islands are of great value to the people that live there, and were and are British Territory. The residents there want them to stay that way, I wonder what the people in the Isle of Man would say if they were attacked by a country claiming that
it belonged to that country, oh its only an island, no use to Britain, let them have it
I don't understand your post Norway - probably me being a bit slow
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2013, 01:32 PM

What about the Prime Ministers that they U K have had since, they all seem to be Unpopular and incapable of running the country according to the British Public, no pleasing some people.
Its now 20 years since she was P M, so if everything was so bad at the end of her time, how come the U K then in 20 years has not been able to put right the wrongs that she supposedly did?because they have not had anyone with a Brain capable of ?, or was it that the so called working class lost what they thought was their big muscle, the power of the Unions.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2013, 01:37 PM

It's a bit like an old car Norway, the rot gets into it's structure, a few years are spent patching holes up with welds cos the body still looks shiny, but eventually there is no good metal left to weld to, so that is that.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2013, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
The problem with Maggie, I think, was that she became a tyrant and wouldn't listen to anyone or take advice, even from within her own party. Being a woman was secondary and I don't think it made much difference that she was a female - it was the personality that ended up distorted by power - she thought she was invincible and her party recognised her flaws were a handicap, got fed up with her and so out she went.
I think initially because she was a woman, she did pick up extra voters - a tyrant she was...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2013, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
It's a bit like an old car Norway, the rot gets into it's structure, a few years are spent patching holes up with welds cos the body still looks shiny, but eventually there is no good metal left to weld to, so that is that.
Well put !
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

21-03-2013, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
What about the Prime Ministers that they U K have had since, they all seem to be Unpopular and incapable of running the country according to the British Public, no pleasing some people.
Its now 20 years since she was P M, so if everything was so bad at the end of her time, how come the U K then in 20 years has not been able to put right the wrongs that she supposedly did?because they have not had anyone with a Brain capable of ?, or was it that the so called working class lost what they thought was their big muscle, the power of the Unions.
In my opinion, she wasn't as bad as she's made out to be. The press did a real hatchet job on her (as they have others) and people tend to believe what they read. Take her nickname 'Thatcher The Milk Snatcher' - that came from milk 'being taken' from schoolchildren when in reality, the schools had said that most of the milk was being thrown away as the children didn't like drinking tepid milk (can't say I blame them) so the milk was withdrawn at the request of the schools and juice was offered in many schools instead and milk for those who wanted to pay for it. But the headliine was catchy and it sold newspapers. She was no worse than any of the others but the British love nothing more than a whipping boy. It is well-documented that she acted largely on her advisers recommendations - what PM makes all decisions on their own? None of them do. Thatcher was fiercly British and defended Britain to such an extent that the German Chancellor and French PM used to have pre-meetings to decide how to deal with her! From what I understand, Thatcher agreed to EU trading - nothing more. Once Britain had been 'sold' to Europe, each government has steadfastly refused a referendum even though the Brits only agreed to a Common Market. Brown had tied the UK into so many financial offerings that can't be cancelled until the original agreement runs out - that he made.

I don't believe there is anyone in any of the Parties in Britain that can effectively run Britain because they are all career politicians who have little or no understanding of how the real society operates. If you watch Question Time on BBC1, you will see that those making sense are not the MPs but the guests from commerce.

The fact that Labour had over 13 years to put right all the wrongs and they didn't, won't stop people voting for them again; go figure that one. During Labour's reign, the gap between rich and poor actually grew substantially and they failed miserably to regulate the banks plus, totally ignored all the advice from the BoE.

The overriding drive of any of our politicians is to remain in power, not necessarily running the country for the benefit of its inhabitants which is why it's impossible to make a real choice between the three main parties. It is why, in my opinion, party politics should be dismantled.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top