Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 01:23 PM

Underhanded or Necessary?

I noticed some time ago that contents of food packets was getting smaller - but not the price. Now it has become 'big' news and it seems quite a ploy http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti..._campaign=1490

What are your thoughts? Is this really helping to keep prices down in order that people can still afford to buy or is it a gimmick to increase revenue for supplying less at the same, or slightly higher, price?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 01:54 PM

Re: Underhanded or Necessary?

I've noticed that, I buy Asda cuppaccino, box of 10, recently its gone down to 8... I guess it makes no difference, the price either goes up or the contents go down, what am I saying, both happened in this case - 8 for the price of 10
spinner
yorkshire
spinner is female  spinner has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 02:02 PM

As well as getting less, I've noticed that products go on special offer just before a price rise. I assume the thinking is you get used to the product after being enticed by the bargain price, and continue buying without realising the new higher price. Or you forget the original price, so don't even realise there has been a sneaky price rise.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 02:05 PM

Thats right - the other thing they do is have an item on special - when you get to the till its not ! They charge full price. I never leave the store without checking the receipt. Another they do, is have a special price but, when you check what 2 of those items would cost - its cheaper ! So, they are not giving a good deal... Got to have yer wits about ya when shopping
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 02:12 PM

I think beer cans should be transparent, I don't want to get ripped off on that front.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 03:15 PM

You buy a large bag of crisps only to find that it's only half full !
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 03:38 PM

I suppose it could be underhand and necessary - necessary for the manufacturers to continue making profits which they want to increase year on year so they stay in business and satisfy their shareholders - and an underhand marketing ploy to fool us and keep us buying smaller and smaller amounts of goods but for the same money (or only slighty more) than we paid last year. I have got into the habit of looking at the little writing on the label which gives the price per 100gms - that tells me how much things are really increasing in price year on year.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

22-03-2013, 04:30 PM

Alan - they say thats due to settlement, yet, I buy a jar of coffee and its bursting to get out - full to the brim - another time, not so. Noticed that with a few items, sometimes full - sometimes not...
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 04:40 PM

I think that we are of an age where we have seen all theses tricks and ploys before so may not be fooled, we just buy what we need. However, the younger generation are seeing it all,l for the first time so they do not need to think of new gimmicks, unless ..... we could tell them but will they listen?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Alan - they say thats due to settlement, yet, I buy a jar of coffee and its bursting to get out - full to the brim - another time, not so. Noticed that with a few items, sometimes full - sometimes not...
I've noticed that with liquid goods like conditioner, disinfectant and milk - some bottles have more in them than others! So, they can't call that 'settling' can they

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top