Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 01:28 PM

Is It Time To Ban Boxing?

I can't watch boxing (although my Dad was a huge fan of it) because I see it as a brutal sport with blood and gore everywhere and I don't enjoy seeing pain inflicted on others. Therefore, I might be slightly biased on this one. However, fresh calls for a ban on boxing have come in:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/...035151598.html

Do you think boxing has had its day or do you think it should be there for those who enjoy it?
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 01:49 PM

Re: Is It Time To Ban Boxing?

The problem is with this kind of thing is where do you stop?
Boxers risk brain damage
Rugby players risk everything from brain damage to paralysis, as do American Footballers, Bob Sledders, Skiers, Ski-boarders, Motor racing participants etc etc.
Death and serious injuries are by no means rare in my old sports of rock climbing, mountaineering and surfing.
In fact there are very few sports in which the participants are not putting themselves at risk to some extent. If you ban one, do you go on to ban them all? If you do, what kind of boring world will we be left with?

For the record, I love boxing although it's a sport I have never taken part in.
spinner
yorkshire
spinner is female  spinner has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 01:53 PM

I don't like boxing. But if people want to do it, I feel they should be allowed to do it. As long as they know the risks, and aren't forced, it is their choice.
A lot of sports are dangerous, would you ban them all?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 01:56 PM

There is a big difference - here we have 2 men fighting ! It should be banned. Now we have women boxers - sick....
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

22-03-2013, 03:17 PM

Any sport which deliberately sets out to seriously damage an opponent should be banned, in my opinion. Many boxers suffer brain damage after being knocked out time and time again.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 03:37 PM

I can't watch it, nor do I want too. It's a bloodsport as far as I'm concerned but I doubt it will be banned ever. Far too much money involved.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 04:06 PM

There is a lot of risk in Boxing but there is also a risk in all sports. I dont like boxing , I dont like fighting either but men will be men.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

22-03-2013, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
There is a lot of risk in Boxing but there is also a risk in all sports. I dont like boxing , I dont like fighting either but men will be men.
Some men like to get physical, but not all by any means!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 07:08 PM

Why do you want to ban it just because you don't like it? Have you never heard of freedom of choice? If you don't like it don't watch it, simple...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 07:13 PM

I don't like boxing and wouldn't watch it but if some adult men wish to fight each other willingly that is their choice .
It is not for me to say they shouldn't do it.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top