Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 07:30 PM

Re: Is It Time To Ban Boxing?

Well for once I dont agree - whats the theory to just let people get on and do what they 'want'... There should be restrictions on certain things and outright banning on others... To say if you dont like it - dont watch it - is a 'cop out' - instead of looking at the 'bigger picture'....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
The problem is with this kind of thing is where do you stop?
Boxers risk brain damage
Rugby players risk everything from brain damage to paralysis, as do American Footballers, Bob Sledders, Skiers, Ski-boarders, Motor racing participants etc etc.
Death and serious injuries are by no means rare in my old sports of rock climbing, mountaineering and surfing.
In fact there are very few sports in which the participants are not putting themselves at risk to some extent. If you ban one, do you go on to ban them all? If you do, what kind of boring world will we be left with?

For the record, I love boxing although it's a sport I have never taken part in.
Whilst I agree Mick that all sports carry risk, most of them don't set out with it being a dead certain! If you agree to let someone punch you - repeatedly - it isn't a case of chance any more.

You say the world would be boring if things started to be banned but I'd bet the people who enjoyed dog fights and cock fights felt the same way - would you agree to those past-times becoming commonplace again?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Why do you want to ban it just because you don't like it? Have you never heard of freedom of choice? If you don't like it don't watch it, simple...
I didn't say I wanted to ban it - I put up a link with calls from the medical profession wanting to ban it. I don't watch it as I've already said.

Of course I've heard of freedom of choice but I'd argue that isn't as real as people seem to think it is but, that's another thread, not this one.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

22-03-2013, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't like boxing and wouldn't watch it but if some adult men wish to fight each other willingly that is their choice .
It is not for me to say they shouldn't do it.
What if they are being treated by the NHS - would you think you have a right to voice your concern over that?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
What if they are being treated by the NHS - would you think you have a right to voice your concern over that?
As others have said, where do you stop? Most human activity involves some sort of risk, even tripping over in the park is self inflicted if you chose to go to the park in the first place, and boxers pay into the system like everyone else...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 08:21 PM

When I 'trip over' its not self inflicted - dodgey paving more like
spinner
yorkshire
spinner is female  spinner has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2013, 09:14 PM

Some could argue that your trip was self-inflicted because you chose to walk over paving which might be dodgy, and that as you didn't see that the paving was dodgy your eyesight was at fault.
And so all short-sighted, partially sighted, long-sighted people should not walk anywhere paved.
Or anywhere else, for that matter. It is just dangerous.
and could be a drain on the NHS
List of things that are a drain on the NHS
smokers
drinkers
over-weighters
under-weighters
sports people
unsports people
old people
ill people
accident prone people
bay-leaf swallowing people
people
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
You say the world would be boring if things started to be banned but I'd bet the people who enjoyed dog fights and cock fights felt the same way - would you agree to those past-times becoming commonplace again?
I think there is a moral difference between two people who choose to fight and animals who have no choice.

I just worry that the health and safety brigade wouldn't know when to stop and, emboldened by banning boxing, would quickly move on to their next target. I also worry that in many of these cases the "cure" is worse than the "disease." There is, I believe, strong medical evidence to suggest that there would be a much lower risk of brain damage if boxers didn't wear big, heavily padded gloves. Apparently the use of gloves, as opposed to bare knuckles minimise cuts, but maximise the jarring of the brain within the skull causing brain lesions and bleeds. Same in American football - because the players are "protected" by helmets and body armour, their collisions are much more damaging than those experienced by "unprotected" rugby players for example.
As a younger man I was very active and was involved in rugby, football, cricket, volleyball, motorcycle grasstrack racing, surfing, rock-climbing and mountaineering. Ironically, the most serious injury I ever had came while playing the gentle game of cricket. I was fielding at short square leg when the batsman cracked a brilliant shot right into my mouth from about 5 yards. I lost several teeth, had a couple of dozen stitches, and looked like Quasimodo for a month. Any sport can be dangerous and any sport could be regarded as a drain on the NHS. As a fully paid up adrenaline addict, my view is that a totally risk-free life is no life at all.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 12:36 AM

Da idear dat bloxing dabages the blain is absquerd
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Same in American football - because the players are "protected" by helmets and body armour, their collisions are much more damaging than those experienced by "unprotected" rugby players for example.
Not a good comparison; unlike rugby players US footie players can be tackled at any time and from any direction whether or not they have the ball, hence the need for protection and the more serious injuries. Rugby players know when they are likely to be tackled and there are very serious rules about the type of tackle permitted.

The most deadly sport? Rock fishing - more fatalities every year than any other sport.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top