Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 09:08 AM

Re: Is It Time To Ban Boxing?

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Not a good comparison; unlike rugby players US footie players can be tackled at any time and from any direction whether or not they have the ball, hence the need for protection and the more serious injuries. Rugby players know when they are likely to be tackled and there are very serious rules about the type of tackle permitted.

The most deadly sport? Rock fishing - more fatalities every year than any other sport.
Actually, that isn't the case. The only person that can be tackled in American Football, is the guy with the ball. Other players can be blocked (face to face contact), but any other contact is penalised.

As for rock fishing - BAN IT!!!!

To be honest, the only sport I'd never ever consider is cave diving. Whoever decided to combine claustrophobia with drowning is some kind of nutter!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 09:31 AM

As an ex boxing fan, I think the sport is slowly curtailing itself. The heady days have gone, and most mainstream folks probably don't know who is the champ at any given weight. I'm not sure it was ever a "Noble Sport", and as for giving potential young thugs a direction for their anger was always a ludicrous proposition. I think given time, the lack of public thirst for the spectacle will see the sport resigned to the hard core few, and as such legislation would not be necessary.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by spinner ->
Some could argue that your trip was self-inflicted because you chose to walk over paving which might be dodgy, and that as you didn't see that the paving was dodgy your eyesight was at fault.
And so all short-sighted, partially sighted, long-sighted people should not walk anywhere paved.
Or anywhere else, for that matter. It is just dangerous.
and could be a drain on the NHS
List of things that are a drain on the NHS
smokers
drinkers
over-weighters
under-weighters
sports people
unsports people
old people
ill people
accident prone people
bay-leaf swallowing people
people
Sounds like a 'jobsworth' statement to me
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 09:41 AM

Point being missed again, all the sports mentioned are not 2 men bashing each other to a pulp. Rugby may need tighter rules and control, then they should get on and do it...
Grouse
planet earth
Grouse is male  Grouse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 10:52 AM

If it was banned, i suspect it would go underground and we woulld be back to the bareknuckle days without any of the protection it has these days.

This makes for interesting reading.

http://www.aans.org/Patient%20Inform...%20Injury.aspx
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

23-03-2013, 11:11 AM

Barenuckle fights - already rife.....
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 11:16 AM

I hate this mentality of wrapping everyone up in cotton wool, if two men want to beat each other to a pulp at the risk of death or brain damage then why not, as long as they only do it by their own free will and only to one another. Why just pick on boxing and not deep sea diving or space exploration or walking to the South Pole? All pastimes which I find ridiculous but life without any form of danger would be boring indeed.....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 11:18 AM

They are seriously talking about the problem in football here, having got rid of spinal injury that is the next challenge the NRL and the AFL have set themselves.

News Ltd had a quite good (for a Murdoch paper) article here
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

23-03-2013, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I hate this mentality of wrapping everyone up in cotton wool, if two men want to beat each other to a pulp at the risk of death or brain damage then why not, as long as they only do it by their own free will and only to one another. Why just pick on boxing and not deep sea diving or space exploration or walking to the South Pole? All pastimes which I find ridiculous but life without any form of danger would be boring indeed.....
The reason boxing has been highlighted should be obvious by now. Any other sport does not suggest that you deliberately harm another person ! Your opening statement beggars belief.... BTW - theres plenty of danger out there - dont you think.
The 'Grand National' needs a good shake up too, too many horses - too many jumps - or should we just pander to the people that enjoy the race even though the changes I mention, would make no difference to the enjoyment...
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I agree with you Barry, no one wants to see anybody maimed, but that is the nature of sport.
We have always had man against man since David and Goliath, and of course the bloodthirsty Romans with their gladiators.
No leave boxing alone, if someone has the skill to make money from it, good for them.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top