Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2013, 09:43 PM

Re: Is It Time To Ban Boxing?

[QUOTE=ben-varrey;252572]I can't watch boxing (although my Dad was a huge fan of it) because I see it as a brutal sport with blood and gore everywhere and I don't enjoy seeing pain inflicted on others. Therefore, I might be slightly biased on this one. However, fresh calls for a ban on boxing have come in:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/...035151598.html

Do you think boxing has had its day or do you think it should be there for those who enjoy it?[/QUOTE]

The above was the start of this thread and ben-varrey asked if forum members thought it was time for a ban.

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
I didn't start this thread, or say 'I' want to 'ban' boxing - are you with me... I responded to the article that was posted and the ban would be a yes vote for me. This is the 2nd time I know of, that 'experts' in the field have called for a ban....
As I feel like I've been in the ring myself... Pats has left the building...
Goodnight.....
Yes "I am with you Pats"......I know you didn't start the thread - you responded to the original post which was exactly what others, including me, have done. Perfectly valid thread with many valid and considered responses.

The question asked was - Do you think it is time to ban boxing - and I said No, I thought like Barry and I would not ike to see a ban; not because I am a follower of boxing, but because I think what people choose to do or not do is part of the freedom we have and I would regard banning boxing as an erosion of a personal freedom and an individual's right to choose - even if the choice made may be harmful to the individual.

I am puzzled that you have become so "ruffled" over a difference of opinion - That is a shame, but I am certainly not getting at you personally or anybody else.
I said I am not a fan of boxing - and would add here that boxing is also something I wouldn't like anybody I care about to become involved in (I hope my grandsons never want to take it up and I would do my best to dissuade them) - but others may well think differently and I think it is important to respect that and preserve the right of people to choose.

Don't withdraw all together Pats. It's only a debate - not that important.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2013, 10:58 AM

Rena - I should have said 'Pats has left the ring'
I did have a smiley face on that.... anyway, yes I am passionate about certain things, the thing that riles me is the 'dont care' attitude that I was facing on the subject. If its just a matter of not caring - theres no point in the debate - is there....
Its a new day - and for me I've exhausted my stance on the subject - all the best Pats
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2013, 11:32 AM

[QUOTE=Aerolor;254181]
Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I can't watch boxing (although my Dad was a huge fan of it) because I see it as a brutal sport with blood and gore everywhere and I don't enjoy seeing pain inflicted on others. Therefore, I might be slightly biased on this one. However, fresh calls for a ban on boxing have come in:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/...035151598.html

Do you think boxing has had its day or do you think it should be there for those who enjoy it?[/QUOTE]

The above was the start of this thread and ben-varrey asked if forum members thought it was time for a ban.

Yes "I am with you Pats"......I know you didn't start the thread - you responded to the original post which was exactly what others, including me, have done. Perfectly valid thread with many valid and considered responses.

The question asked was - Do you think it is time to ban boxing - and I said No, I thought like Barry and I would not ike to see a ban; not because I am a follower of boxing, but because I think what people choose to do or not do is part of the freedom we have and I would regard banning boxing as an erosion of a personal freedom and an individual's right to choose - even if the choice made may be harmful to the individual.

I am puzzled that you have become so "ruffled" over a difference of opinion - That is a shame, but I am certainly not getting at you personally or anybody else.
I said I am not a fan of boxing - and would add here that boxing is also something I wouldn't like anybody I care about to become involved in (I hope my grandsons never want to take it up and I would do my best to dissuade them) - but others may well think differently and I think it is important to respect that and preserve the right of people to choose.

Don't withdraw all together Pats. It's only a debate - not that important.
Rena darlin' that's the same argument that the American gun lobby use to justify their purchase of and ownership of high-powered rifles and assault guns which have, over the past few years devastated some communities following the mass murder of their school children.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2013, 11:50 AM

UJ - of course you are right - there are many people in this world that need guidance, they cant see the wood for the trees.... Its the same with Annie Jacks thread - on the 15 year old girl and the abuse she is suffering.. Do we say, well its their laws, let them get on with it, someone has to 'do' something and if they can rally people to 'see' - thats such a good thing.....

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top