Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 05:54 PM

Re: Have the British ever come to terms with the weather?

Probably we moan because the weather is so unpredictable, never seem to get any good weather that stays any decent length of time.

I hate air conditioning, glad we don't need it.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

23-03-2013, 08:51 PM

I think the inuit have got it right
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

23-03-2013, 08:55 PM

latest report from UK Bloody rotten weather all across the UK. Not too bad in London. Snow all day but it is not settling. Across the North there is both snow and high winds, a lot of drifting. - yes definitely inuit weather
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 11:09 PM

I have to work outside in this weather, the last few years have been very challenging.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
This about sums it up

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/rhymes/weather.shtml
I love that one - I remember my mum teaching me that
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2013, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I have to work outside in this weather, the last few years have been very challenging.
My son also works outside and his description was much more basic
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

24-03-2013, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
The weather is usually the main topic of converstion with us Brits. It is never perfect, it is too hot, too cold, too wet, too windy or too much snow!
It's also non-confrontational so good ground to start a conversation with. The sun is back today with only a strong, freezing cold and biting wind to spoil it, rotten weather, where is Spring, scratch that, where is Summer when you need it!
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2013, 11:06 AM

At least it can get a conversation going at the bus stop or post office queue ,whatever, we've had days recently over 40c but no aircon ,just floor fans, we survive 'cos we have to, and lots of icy cold cider helps too
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

24-03-2013, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by maggis ->
At least it can get a conversation going at the bus stop or post office queue ,whatever, we've had days recently over 40c but no aircon ,just floor fans, we survive 'cos we have to, and lots of icy cold cider helps too
Do you maggis, I asked our local store to stock Cider Lolls (I loved those as a kid and have tried to make them as a trip down memory lane type of thing) and they won't! Probably because it might encourage children to drink cider or something but they were definitley my favourite. I might make some cider ice cubes instead for when summer hits us
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2013, 11:58 AM

That's another thing too, after 40yrs and living and working in every state at some time I'm still not acclimatised to the extremes in the temperature, I'd go to work in the am rugged up in scarf, beanie, overcoat and in the afternoon driving home I'd be in a tank top with the aircon going lol and another thing, if Aussies mention the weather, it's an observation or part of the conversation, Me, ? if I mention the weather I'm a whinging pom, lol, but it's all banter and when they say how cold it is in the winter I tell them they don't know what cold is

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top