Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 09:50 AM

The Digital Age

Is the digital age really a step forward, last night with the bad weather we lost the Sky signal, and were left with a blue screen. In the old days with an anologue signal, we would have got some sort of reception albeit a grainy fragmented picture, but communication would have prevailed.
If you think about it, all our forms of communication are now digitally driven, and it taks such a small variation in something like atmospheric conditions to interfere with the signal, it would seem ALL such communication devices could be silenced at the flick of a switch.
Long live the analogue.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 10:01 AM

Re: The Digital Age

I would agree and say that digital systems are not quite what they are cracked up to be. It tends to be 'all or nothing' in terms of reception. Interference can totally wipe a TV picture where an analogue may cause just flicker. I always felt there needs to be some better form of tolerence built into the digital stream to cope with any small dropout of signal which would not blank a screen for a moment.

I guess the other problem is that hundreds of digital TV channels can be made to fit onto one analogue signal and the radio spectrum is extremely limited as to what it can carry, which is becoming an issue as more and more technology comes along and needs a slice of the airwaves in order to work.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
I would agree and say that digital systems are not quite what they are cracked up to be. It tends to be 'all or nothing' in terms of reception. Interference can totally wipe a TV picture where an analogue may cause just flicker. I always felt there needs to be some better form of tolerence built into the digital stream to cope with any small dropout of signal which would not blank a screen for a moment.

I guess the other problem is that hundreds of digital TV channels can be made to fit onto one analogue signal and the radio spectrum is extremely limited as to what it can carry, which is becoming an issue as more and more technology comes along and needs a slice of the airwaves in order to work.
I think it is quite worrying that digital seems to quite unpredictable . We have lost TV reception a couple of times here over the last year.

I don't want and will never use hundreds of digital channels offering a constant stream of rubbish and repeats and prefer a limited number of channels and stability .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 10:12 AM

We seem to be putting all our eggs in one basket on many fronts.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
We seem to be putting all our eggs in one basket on many fronts.
...absolutely Paul . This is down to lack of forethought on behalf of those making decisions on our behalf.

I think our generation is more likely to take a belt and braces approach to things . Many of us saw the aftermath of the war and the shortages that ensued then the power cuts of the early 1970s. I would say we are more likely to look at all eventualities and proceed with caution.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I think it is quite worrying that digital seems to quite unpredictable . We have lost TV reception a couple of times here over the last year.

I don't want and will never use hundreds of digital channels offering a constant stream of rubbish and repeats and prefer a limited number of channels and stability .
I would agree on a point. Yes, there is now just hundreds of channels of garbage on all of them.

Problem is, a digital channel creates revenue. Hundreds of channels creates a ton of revenue. Selling an analogue slot in the spectrum creates massive revenue.

And it's money which makes everything work.
Grouse
planet earth
Grouse is male  Grouse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 10:41 AM

When they shut off the analogue in September, i didnt join the digital TV age.

I thought i would struggle especially at christmas, but in truth ive hardly missed it.

I remember when we first got a TV in the 60`s, everytime a plane went over the screen went all wobbly.

But digital has allowed me the internet and i love my MP3 player and Digital camers
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2013, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Is the digital age really a step forward, last night with the bad weather we lost the Sky signal, and were left with a blue screen. In the old days with an anologue signal, we would have got some sort of reception albeit a grainy fragmented picture, but communication would have prevailed.
I wouldn't worry it will all be coming over fibre soon, wireless broadcasts are a dying technology the bandwidth is better used for other things. Yes, digital is much better.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

23-03-2013, 04:18 PM

Digital is ok by me. We don't have Sky, Freeview is just fine with us. We prefer the BBC programmes on the whole and watch little else.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

24-03-2013, 12:00 AM

What if a digital image of anyone here was encapsulated, and used for arguments sake in an episode of Corries, would you be surprised to see yourself acting out a controversial story line, and would you be seeking royalties.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top