Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2014, 06:48 PM

Re: Histrionic Personality Disorder

They must have had a separate 'big head' for work - a bit like Worzel ...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2014, 08:11 PM

Basically this means he / she can't function properly where there are perceived threats to his / her standing in the eyes of a superior. Geddit? (Quote Stevmk2)

I'm old fashioned Steve and this is new to me but doesn't surprise me in the least, they got a name for everything now, is this what we used to call a "Lickarse" years ago or just a nervious wreck?
If he can't function properly because he's afraid some other worker will get ahead of him then he's no use to anyone, least of all his employer, I know if I was an employer and he worked for me he'd be out the door, I'd want someone who could function properly while on the job, besides going around in that state he's liable to cause an accident.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2014, 09:15 PM

See I think it's two-way street - the WUM/creep or whatever you like to call him/her can only operate because they've hoodwinked a weak superior who possesses none or very little emotional intelligence.

I worked with someone who was very lazy, had no team-spirit at all and highly manipulative - and the bosses just could not see it, she caused so many problems and the dissent created in the team came as a complete surprise to the boss! Even after 2/3rds of the team left as a result!

I'd forgotten just how angry I am about it still after 5 years!

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
My thoughts exactly Baxter8 and I think it best to ignore this person's annoying traits because it's been found out on three occasions that what this person claims he says to the Manager, or what he says the Manager tells him bears absolutely no truth whatsoever, so he's a WUM or a creep!

Trouble is the manager seems so enamoured by him and obviously does not realise what he actually is!

I've met people like this before, usually women I have to say, and damn near fell for it once without realising just what was happening but I was surprised it's a known syndrome or disorder.

The things you learn eh?

Or as my granny used to say "Oooh the things you see when you haven't got a gun!" stevmk2
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2014, 09:05 AM

I did not know that it had been given a syndrome all to itself. Over the years people like this have been given many labels, alpha male/female comes to mind. In some cases, it can be a form of bullying.

Surely the person who succumbs to the 'con' must have a personality defect themselves, a good boss should also be a good judge of character. If a boss isn't a good judge, then he isn't a good manager and will not be boss for long.

This sort of alpha person uses the same methods wherever they go, club, committee or even just the neighbourhood.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2014, 02:53 PM

If a boss has any kind of insight then the "arse licker" can be a useful tool. Kept at arms length of course.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2014, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
A slap round the head should sort it Steve

Or a polythene bag over the head
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2014, 12:29 PM

The problem that I have has raised its head again in the absence of the manager this past week.

There is a difference this time though because my colleague has now told me something that only I and the absent manager would know, or should know, so I'm faced with the possibility that our manager has been discussing me with my colleague!

This puts the whole thing in a different light but I've still got the feeling I'm being wound-up again.

As the manager is away I'm a little averse to going over his head to the head "honcho", but what do you think? stevmk2
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2014, 04:33 PM

Hmmm sounds to me like your colleague has unpinned a grenade and is ready to watch it explode whilst he stands in the shadows and smugly watch the ensuing fall out.

If there is any chance you can rise above this and have as little contact with this person as possible then I most certainly would. These people duck and dive all their lives, manipulating people around them all the time.

They're painfully insecure and likely to stay that way as they're just too thick to self-analyse.That's my take on it.

I believe we should follow our instincts and if there's a grain of being wound up, then I suggest you may well be.

The problem that I have has raised its head again in the absence of the manager this past week.

There is a difference this time though because my colleague has now told me something that only I and the absent manager would know, or should know, so I'm faced with the possibility that our manager has been discussing me with my colleague!

This puts the whole thing in a different light but I've still got the feeling I'm being wound-up again.

As the manager is away I'm a little averse to going over his head to the head "honcho", but what do you think? stevmk2
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2014, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
Hmmm sounds to me like your colleague has unpinned a grenade and is ready to watch it explode whilst he stands in the shadows and smugly watch the ensuing fall out.

If there is any chance you can rise above this and have as little contact with this person as possible then I most certainly would. These people duck and dive all their lives, manipulating people around them all the time.
They're painfully insecure and likely to stay that way as they're just too thick to self-analyse.That's my take on it.
I believe we should follow our instincts and if there's a grain of being wound up, then I suggest you may well be.
Unfortunately, as he's the other person I'm supposed to work with Baxter, I can't distance myself from him because we are supposed to work together and / or liaise over maintenance jobs as we are both part-time.

I could go on about just how much work seems to come down to me as opposed to how little he actually does but that would sound like sour grapes would it not?

True though that is I still can't use it as an argument or justification for avoiding working with him because, as I said, the manager seems to think that the sun shines from every orifice he has and nothing will sway him from that belief.

In short, it's a case of possibly the worst favouritism I've ever encountered in the workplace and the worst I've ever had to endure, and there have been a few in the past can tell you! stevmk2
Baxter8
Somerset

22-02-2014, 06:03 PM

It's uncanny how similar this person is to the person that I worked with. She would somehow end up with the best jobs that needed the least input and got all the praise for everything she did.

These are highly manipulative people with an uncanny ability to detect ways in to bosses' favours, I hate to say it but they're often super-intelligent/clever/streetwise.

The only way I got through it was to remind myself that nobody said life would be fair and in the end I left the firm, I did find out later that they didn't think she was as special as I thought.

I've seen this a lot in women but not so much in men - women often use their femininity and damsel in distress act-what is this guy using on your boss do you think? Or is your boss a bit stupid?

Unfortunately, as he's the other person I'm supposed to work with Baxter, I can't distance myself from him because we are supposed to work together and / or liaise over maintenance jobs as we are both part-time.

I could go on about just how much work seems to come down to me as opposed to how little he actually does but that would sound like sour grapes would it not?

True though that is I still can't use it as an argument or justification for avoiding working with him because, as I said, the manager seems to think that the sun shines from every orifice he has and nothing will sway him from that belief.

In short, it's a case of possibly the worst favouritism I've ever encountered in the workplace and the worst I've ever had to endure, and there have been a few in the past can tell you! stevmk2

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top