Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Marki
East Midlands -UK
Marki is male  Marki has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 03:14 PM

Why?

Ive been driving for over 40yrs with only a cpl of tickets in all that time - one for speeding over 10 yrs ago (36 in a 30 zone) and one more recently for drinking water while at the wheel.

Serious question; Why when a police car is behind me do i feel paranoid instead of protected?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 03:15 PM

Re: Why?

Originally Posted by Marki ->
Ive been driving for over 40yrs with only a cpl of tickets in all that time - one for speeding over 10 yrs ago (36 in a 30 zone) and one more recently for drinking water while at the wheel.

Serious question; Why when a police car is behind me do i feel paranoid instead of protected?
Me too Marki it has a terrible effect on my driving and makes me dither about
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 03:16 PM

Probably because they're behind you ......
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 03:26 PM

I have only ever been pulled over once and that was last year, two policemen sauntered towards my car and asked me what I had in the back window, was our little Betty Chihuahua only 5 months od at the time, they just wanted to meet her. Had quite a laugh but must admit I was very worried what I had done when I saw them !
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 04:15 PM

I don't have a great deal of faith in the Police these days.

Two years ago I was heading up towards the A5 and, on approaching a roundabout, I moved over to the right as the arrows on the approach clearly indicated right-turners should do.

Coming up behind on my left was a Police car - not answering a call as far as I could see as there were no lights flashing - and they were in the left lane which clearly indicates straight on at this roundabout.

Then then overtook me on the inside, cutting me up and so I tooted at them, because they were in the wrong!

They then slammed on the brakes and stopped in front of me.
Out got a copper that looked all of 12 years old and he strolled over to my car, oblivious to the chaos his manoeuvre was causing, and so I got out a told him that he was in the wrong at that roundabout.

I was polite but I was b****y annoyed.

He just looked back, saw the road markings and said "You're right mate - but don't toot at me again or I'll 'ave ya for something, OK?!"

I was stunned and my wife was absolutely livid.

He was gone before I thought to take his numberplate but I saw his Police woman passenger laughing as they drove off. stevmk2
Marki
East Midlands -UK
Marki is male  Marki has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I don't have a great deal of faith in the Police these days.

Two years ago I was heading up towards the A5 and, on approaching a roundabout, I moved over to the right as the arrows on the approach clearly indicated right-turners should do.

Coming up behind on my left was a Police car - not answering a call as far as I could see as there were no lights flashing - and they were in the left lane which clearly indicates straight on at this roundabout.

Then then overtook me on the inside, cutting me up and so I tooted at them, because they were in the wrong!

They then slammed on the brakes and stopped in front of me.
Out got a copper that looked all of 12 years old and he strolled over to my car, oblivious to the chaos his manoeuvre was causing, and so I got out a told him that he was in the wrong at that roundabout.

I was polite but I was b****y annoyed.

He just looked back, saw the road markings and said "You're right mate - but don't toot at me again or I'll 'ave ya for something, OK?!"

I was stunned and my wife was absolutely livid.

He was gone before I thought to take his numberplate but I saw his Police woman passenger laughing as they drove off. stevmk2
The time i was booked for drinking water from a bottle, would you believe, i was parked up in a pull-in out-side of the corner shop at 06.30 on way to work. I wasn't driving or even had the engine running. The fact that i was sitting in the drivers seat with the keys in the ignition was enough to put me in control of a vehicle. Any amount of protest fell on deaf ears - in-fact one of the coppers said, "its people like you (working) that pay the fines. Needless to say, i was left feeling i had just been robbed/mugged.

Any faith that i had for the police was well and truly out of the window after that.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 06:28 PM

Yep - times have changed alright Marki - too many news items now on coppers doing the wrong thing. I guess its a sign of the times we live in ...
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 08:57 PM

At least you don't have to worry about any crash for cash attacks with him there . Just keep your eye on the speedo'
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 09:13 PM

I must say it doesn't really bother me but my wife gets quite nervous with police following.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 10:27 PM

I often have a sip of water before I start up the car. Does that mean I risk getting a ticket every time Mr Plod sees me doing it?

And don't you hate those types as met by Steve? *shudders*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top