Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2014, 11:55 AM

Different prices of tablets

I suffer from allergies - basically I am allergic to most things and I have been using a nasal spray which worked brilliantly until I had my fall and smashed my nose and I now cannot use them.

I went to the doctor to ask which tablets to use and was given a prescription for a two month supply for one in her opinion was good, but was told that they could be cheaper by using a different brand but the chemist would help me with this.

I took the prescription in was told if I got these ones the cost would be £7.85 but they could recommend a cheaper one which cost me £4.20 for a two month supply.

After two months I went back to the chemist but forgot my prescription and went to the counter and was asked for £11.00 when I pointed out I had only paid £4.20 the last time was told this is the price. So I went home and got my prescription. Went to the counter and because they were busy was asked for £7.85 when I said they were only £4.20 last time and they came off the counter behind you he huffily got them for me.

Can any one explain why for the same thing there are so many differing prices - alright I know there are different makes and suppliers but there is a big difference between £4.20 and £11.00 when you have to use them everyday.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2014, 12:14 PM

Re: Different prices of tablets

Obviously different manufacturers can charge different prices but any pharmacist worth his salt will offer you the cheapest one.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2014, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Obviously different manufacturers can charge different prices but any pharmacist worth his salt will offer you the cheapest one.
Not necessarily ours offers the various different options and recommends the own brand (boots) as it's cheapest. But they always offer all prices/brands to begin with.

There can be huge differences in prices between brands and delivery systems, caplets costing twice what tablets do quite often.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2014, 12:40 PM

The dearest ones that the assistant offered me were boots own, when I pointed out that I had only paid £4.20 before she just said that's the price.

Is it because when you go to the counter with all the medications on and not the pharmacy that is where the difference lies.

Or is it lack of training to new staff.
Brian 8451
United Kingdom
Brian 8451 is male  Brian 8451 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2014, 12:56 PM

Hi Shirley, you're doctor may have been pointing you to a 'generic' version of you're prescription. These are usually made with exactly the same content as the branded product at a fraction of the cost. I always ask if there is a generic version when buying medicines.
Hope this helps,
Brian.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2014, 01:30 PM

The fact is Shirley paid the lower price and further items should be that price. Have you tried elsewhere or as you say, a different counter - it may sound daft, but I have encountered different service with different assistants.
shirley
Gloucestershire

25-02-2014, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
The fact is Shirley paid the lower price and further items should be that price. Have you tried elsewhere or as you say, a different counter - it may sound daft, but I have encountered different service with different assistants.
I went back to the main boots in Cheltenham where I was first told about the cheaper brand rather than using the prescription just got a different assistant who was not really helpful

I think in future I will take the box in with me when I go for renewal tablets that may help.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2014, 01:49 PM

This is a case of England being years behind the rest of the UK where prescriptions are free. Generic versions of medicines are sometimes less effective than branded versions because the formulation effects things like the absorbtion rate.

Do you have a 'Minor Ailments service' at your pharmacy? A good pharmacist should be able to advise you on the most appropriate brand for you.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2014, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
I went back to the main boots in Cheltenham where I was first told about the cheaper brand rather than using the prescription just got a different assistant who was not really helpful

I think in future I will take the box in with me when I go for renewal tablets that may help.

Shirley darlin' - just as a precaution, keep the till receipt and take that with you next time too.
shirley
Gloucestershire

25-02-2014, 02:44 PM

Thank you all it has given me something to think about especially the effectiveness of the tablets will pay a visit to the pharmacy to see what the differences are.

Appreciate all your comments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top