Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2014, 08:27 PM

Today, I went back to my erstwhile hobby..........

Bit of a convoluted tale here.

OH and I used to be avid birdwatchers - I hasten to add, not 'twitchers'. We would just pack up and go to a hide and wait to see what arrived - often not a lot, but a wonderful day out.

Today, I went to Marbury Park in Northwich, alone to 'Haydn's Pool', named in memory of my lovely Dad, who died in 1992. I haven't been there for 15+ years.

It was a long walk (for me), but lovely to hear the birdsong and experience the stirrings of feelings which I haven't felt for a good twenty years - the outdoors and nature just coming into season again.

I feel so much better for having made the effort.

Gwyn
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2014, 08:31 PM

Re: Today, I went back to my erstwhile hobby..........

Originally Posted by AliceB ->
I feel so much better for having made the effort.
Good to hear it .
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2014, 08:35 PM

Thanks, Mark - I still have my 'down days' since OH's passing, but this really cheered me.

Gwyn
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2014, 08:37 PM

Fascinating creatures Birds, glad you enjoyed yourself Alice.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2014, 08:39 PM

Hi Gwen ... been to Marbury Park and Haydn's Pool a number of times - OH is a bird watcher (but .. dare I say it ... it holds absolutely no interest for me) but I enjoy the walk round there.

Also the Anderton Boat Lift is well worth a visit - went on it with the GC a couple of years ago - what a feat of engineering and a pleasant trip along the canal.

What a beautiful day its been for your jaunt - glad you enjoyed it.
AliceB
Cheshire

28-02-2014, 08:49 PM

I just enjoyed the walk and the sense of Steve saying 'well, that's a (whatever)'. Never very good on recognition, but I could spot something unusual - left it to him to name it .

My friend and I hope to take my grand-daughters on a trip along the canal, once the weather gets a tad warmer..............

Gwyn
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2014, 09:04 PM

I love getting into the great outdoors - birds, mammals, fish, wild flowers, trees.............just wonderful.
AliceB
Cheshire

28-02-2014, 09:15 PM

Alan, it was lovely.

I haven't walked so far for years and I'd forgotten how therapeutic it can be, to just get out there. I wondered if I could make to my hoped for destination, but it was well worth it.

Like you, I'm interested in all sorts - beetles, flowers, birds/bird song, trees (not very good on identification there) , just anything wild.

Gwyn
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2014, 10:28 PM

Im an birder, and spend as much time as i can on my patch. I do surveys for the BTO`s Birdtrack, and like most, i photograph, and draw them badly.

Just found out that the Ospreys, Avocet, and Marsh Harriers have all returned already to Northumberland not that long ago these were rare visitors up my way, now all breeding successfully.

As the years went by i have started to take interest in Butterflies, Moths, Plants, Mammals and Funghi so my year has something for all months.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2014, 11:44 PM

I'm so pleased for you Alice, we enjoy our garden birds, we get a good variety and it's peaceful watching them and listening to them.
I bet you are looking forward to going again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top