Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2015, 08:00 PM

Re: Broadband by dongle.

See my thread 'Pocket Hotspot' From what I can gather they're better than a dongle.
Maybe worth looking into.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2015, 11:24 PM

I must be really out of date - I have never heard of a 'dongle' !
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2015, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
See my thread 'Pocket Hotspot' From what I can gather they're better than a dongle.
Maybe worth looking into.
They are more flexible than a dongle because you can connect up to 5 devices (usually) but as your mobile phone can do exactly the same thing it is far better and, of course, cheaper.

When I came to the UK I had one of these:

They are a bit old fashioned now because they only support 3G (mine is now used by my Seniors Club for their Internet Kiosk)

Your 4G phone will give you transfer rates of 40Mb/s and better pretty consistently. The only problem is that it does use the phone battery faster than normal when acting as a hotspot so a USB power pack is a good idea too.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2015, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I must be really out of date - I have never heard of a 'dongle' !
Actually 'dongle' is a really old expression, it dates back to at least the Commodore C64 era when they were used as a form of copy protection for software - the program would not work unless the dongle was plugged into the back of the computer.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top