Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2010, 04:11 PM

PC's

Can anyone please tell me if desktop PC's are wireless enabled? I know most of the laptops and notebooks are now but what about the desktop's?

I'm after buying a new computer soon and I'm hoping it will be a desktop but if laptop's and notebooks are the only one's that are wireless enabled I will probably have to get a laptop as it's much easier to pick up the signal to a wireless router.

Also, thought about buying one in PC World as they also set it all up for you and programme it in for a charge, is this a good idea?

Any advice or answers welcomed before I go out and get one, thanks.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2010, 04:40 PM

Re: PC's

Sorry can't help you Alicat, I leave all technical stuff to my very helpful son!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2010, 05:05 PM

Just check that it has 'wifi' - that will mean you can connect wirelessly to your broadband router (which is normal wifi enable too).

What is your budget Alicat? Have you considered a Mac - they are ideal for most people and will have wireless built in If you already have a monitor and usb keyboard you can get a Mac Mini - or if not, you can get an iMac.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2010, 07:20 PM

Thanks Azz, I don't want to go over about £700, I'm not familiar with Mac's, I know my niece has a Mac laptop but it works so different to windows. Still, I'll think about it. Thanks for the info on 'wifi', I'll look out for that.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2010, 07:43 PM

My pc isnt wireless but I use a bridging dongle thing that enables it to be used wireless
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2010, 07:49 PM

I have a Mac Mini and love it!

Like you, I was wary about changing from my PC to the Mac Mini and I had fixed in my head that I wouldn't get used to using it. Admittedly my son set it up for me and showed me what it could do etc and within days it was like I had always had it. It takes up hardly any room on my desk as it is no bigger than my mouse mat

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/hom...-KWG-UK_CPU-UK
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2010, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Just check that it has 'wifi' - that will mean you can connect wirelessly to your broadband router (which is normal wifi enable too).

What is your budget Alicat? Have you considered a Mac - they are ideal for most people and will have wireless built in If you already have a monitor and usb keyboard you can get a Mac Mini - or if not, you can get an iMac.
Really, Azz? I've wondered about getting a new one as I'm tired of not being able to download things like the new Firefox and some other apps with my OSX 10.2.8
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2010, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Really, Azz? I've wondered about getting a new one as I'm tired of not being able to download things like the new Firefox and some other apps with my OSX 10.2.8
Yeah all the new Macs are wireless enabled go on, treat yourself
anna
Norway
anna is female  anna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2010, 02:01 AM

Me too have to buy a new PC in the near future because the one I got now is running out of memory.

The very first PC I had was a Mac (as a matter of fact I still have it & it still works) with 4 mb ram and a 40 mb harddisc. This was about 16 years ago and I just loved that machine - but for understandable reasons we never made it online together.

So, then Azz - do you think I should consider a Mac? I do have a couple of printers, a scanner, a cd/dvd-burner, camera, mobile - do you think I can use this applications with the Mac???
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

22-03-2010, 02:15 AM

It's probably worth doing a search for compatible drivers (or look in your manuals if you still have them) just in case they're not tbh Anna.

All new Macs come with DVD burners so at least that's one you don't have to worry about

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top