Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 08:46 PM

Which Home Guardsman ?

My computer protector, AVG, runs out in a couple of weeks. I'm not very thrilled with it as I had a bad piece of malware a few months ago so I'm looking for better protection at a reasonable price. Any suggestions ?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 11:45 PM

Re: Which Home Guardsman ?

Perhaps not entirely relevant, but I recently bought a new laptop running Windows 10 and with which I encountered several problems.
Thankfully, it was bought from John Lewis and came with a two-year warranty including free help with regard to software problems (Toshiba make you pay for this!).

Consequently, I phoned JL and it transpires that some of the problems I had were caused by the presence of anti-virus programmes. The laptop came with McAfee (trial) and I later dumped this in favour of Avast (free). I have it on good authority that both of these, and quite probably others, are likely to cause problems.

The expert I spoke to advised me to remove Avast and just rely on Windows Defender (which comes with W10), adding that he personally uses only this and no other anti-virus software.

I have had no other problems since - touch wood.

In answer to your question, before I got Windows 10 I used Avast (free) with Windows 7. No problems.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

The expert I spoke to advised me to remove Avast and just rely on Windows Defender (which comes with W10), adding that he personally uses only this and no other anti-virus software.
Who ever told you that was definitely no expert. Windows Defender comes up in almost any objective test as being the most useless anti virus program there is.

If you want to know the best free anti virus program there are plenty of sites which regularly test them against a range of malware and viruses. Mr Google is your friend.

Likewise with the paid ones.

Personally I have for a number of years used Eset's NOD32 but when the licence expires this year I am considering moving to Bitdefender.

If you run TWO anti virus programs then you are asking for trouble because they fight each other and slow your machine down dramatically.

It may well be that your problem was caused by having Avast and Defender running at the same time though having said that most modern anti virus programs know about Defender and disable it.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 07:20 AM

Ive had Norton and then Norton 360 for years and never had any troubles.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 07:39 AM

I have always used AVG free edition since using my first computer 20+ years ago, never had a problem and it has saved me from infections and viruses on more than one occasion.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I have always used AVG free edition since using my first computer 20+ years ago, never had a problem and it has saved me from infections and viruses on more than one occasion.
Yep agree, AVG or Avast free; much of a muchness - both work well.

Happily recommend either to the seniors I teach.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 09:50 AM

I've used McAfee for many years and had no problems.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 10:18 AM

I've tried everything to get rid of MacAffe but can't. I've got virus protection with Talk talk which if you look for it is no where to be found unless you go on the TT website, then it tell you you're email address is not valid even though they send you emails!
I'd be interested to know which is the best too and how you get rid of the other rubbish ones!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
My computer protector, AVG, runs out in a couple of weeks. I'm not very thrilled with it as I had a bad piece of malware a few months ago so I'm looking for better protection at a reasonable price. Any suggestions ?
I see the usual AV suggestions being touted in this thread.

What people need to realise is that Antivirus and Antimalware is just a "Protection Racket". These viruses, Trojans, worms etc are created for the very purpose of making people subscribe and pay for antivirus software. It is a very crooked business. People who think that 90% of viruses are created by spotty teenagers sitting in their pyjamas in their bedrooms need their heads seeing to.

The "proof" or main indicator of this whole situation is that we end up in a situation where certain SPECIFIC viruses seem to get through some software but yet are trapped by maybe one SPECIFIC antivirus program. That's odd don't you think? How would one or perhaps two specific antivirus programmes manages to trap a specific virus when all the others don't? The answer should be very obvious.
These companies are creating the viruses to perpetuate their own businesses. They have competition all around them and people routinely jump from one AV solution to another just like they switch insurance companies. How then can any single AV suite gain an advantage ? What is the single biggest thing they can do to promote their own AV software? The answer is to create a virus that the competition can not detect and fix (in the immediate term) but which your own AV programme will "magically" pick up.
So this Sh*t has been going on for years. Each AV company generating "silver bullet" viruses that only its own software can detect in the first instance. Obviously over time all the other AV companies adapt their software to that "silver bullet" virus so your ability to stay ahead of the game only lasts a short time span. But this cr*p just perpetually rumbles on.

As a result the general Sheeple out there all have wildly differing opinions of which AV programme is the best. Those opinions tend to be formed on the latest experience of a "Silver bullet" virus, e.g. "I think XXX is the best AV programme because I had virus YYY and it went straight past my existing AV programme so I installed a different programme and that picked it up instantly"

Anyone who is IT literate and been home computing for years should instinctively recognise the truth (though many don't).

In short then it really doesn't matter that much which AV programme you use provided it has the basic/core facilities you would expect of any such programme. For example, you need a firewall that lets you block specific IP addresses. You want an AV that runs any unrecognised programme in "Sandbox" mode and so on.

I will tell you now, that I have been in IT for over 30 years and NEVER, not once, have I ever paid for or subscribed to any antivirus program for my home PC's/laptops. I run free AV programmes and have often switched one for another when the speed/performance drops (which tends to happen to them all). There are plenty to have a go at inc AVAST, COMODO, AVG etc.

I run the FREE copy of Malwarebytes from time to time and whenever I suspect I may have had a malware attack but thus far I have never had any serious malware.

I should point out however that much of my success is totally down to my discipline when using the internet. It is my opinion that a HUGE % of staying safe is down to what the user does rather than any AV programme. With that in mind here are my main tips, use/ignore at your leisure.

1. ALWAYS ALWAYS surf the internet with JAVASCRIPT DISABLED.

This is a contentious issue for some but each to their own. Every website when you first visit, runs lots of scripts which you can not see, but the delay in the page loading tells you it is happening. Scripts are just programmes written in JavaScript language. Many of these scripts are tracking you, capturing your email address to spam it later and so on.
Disable JavaScript and you disable the ability of a lot of hackers armaments. It has no effect on the viruses themselves, but stops the way hackers often try to DELIVER those viruses. With JavaScript disabled you will not get those irritating pop up windows everywhere. Esp the ones that look innocent.

The only downside is you lose some website functionality with JavaScript disabled. If that becomes a serious problem, e.g. when you need to do online banking, then just enable javascript whilst you do that and then disable it again afterward. I just makes sense to disable it and cut off one of the spammers and hackers primary weapons.

2. NEVER EVER click on a pop up window or banner

Not even those that routinely say:

"Use of this site means you consent to allowing us to place a cookie on your PC"

You CAN NOT EVER determine if a pop up window or banner is genuine or malware. So never click on them.

A common example is the kind that says:

e.g. "Would you mind taking a short survey to help us improve our service"

What do you do when such a pop up arrives? Naturally you don't click the button to take the survey, you are suspicious and/or not interested in taking a survey. But . . . what DO you actually do with that pop up in the middle of the screen?

I am willing to bet that 99% of people use the little X button at the top right of the pop up to close it down.

And BANG they have got you. They got you to CLICK on a pop up window that you have no idea about, that you can not verify as being genuine or fake.

The pop up might look like just an ordinary windows pop up but it may not be. It can often be the case that clicking anywhere on that pop up will run a script and introduce malware.

What you should of course do with any such pop up is leave it there on the screen, bring up task manager and kill off the app and or process that way. Never ever click on any pop up.

Of course, if you sensibly surf the internet with JavaScript disabled, that pop up would not have appeared in the first place. You won't get any of the "cookie request" banners or survey pop ups or for that manner any pop up adverts or advert banners. The websites you visit will all run infinitely faster to boot !

3. I never use MS Outlook for emails. Everyone I know who has used it has had email virus problems as well as horrendous issues trying to sync emails with their phones.

4. NEVER click on a hotlink in someone's forum post.
Those links often look innocent but they can often take you to malware sites.

This forum in particular is riddled with posts in which people include links to newspaper articles and the like. Don't click on them. Just cut and paste the URL into your browser instead (assuming that URL looks genuine and is spelt correctly etc).

Those are my primary ways of staying virus free. In 30+ years I have never suffered a major virus nor malware (other than low level Trojans that aren't really bad malware, just tracking stuff).

Free AV programmes and Malwarebytes is imo enough PROVIDED you run with JavaScript disabled for 99% of the time.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

03-02-2016, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I see the usual AV suggestions being touted in this thread.

What people need to realise is that Antivirus and Antimalware is just a "Protection Racket". These viruses, Trojans, worms etc are cr

<Big Snip>

Free AV programmes and Malwarebytes is imo enough PROVIDED you run with JavaScript disabled for 99% of the time.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Absolute flat earth nonsense.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top