Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 01:30 PM

Re: Which Home Guardsman ?

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
So ..My browser is Firefox, just how do I disable Javascript ?
Depends on the version you are using. In older versions you can simply do:

Tools - Options - Content - Disable java script

Above version 23 you have to edit your "about:config" entries

In there you should see an entry like this:

javascript.enabled

Just change it from true to false.

Google "Firefox about:config" if you are not familiar with it
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 01:41 PM

Thanks for that !
Not happy with tinkering with the code, so I'll just put up with the pop ups annoying as they are !
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 01:49 PM

Thanks for that !
Not happy with tinkering with the code, so I'll just put up with the pop ups annoying as they are !
It's not code as such. They are your Firefox preferences.
Where you previously had a nice sexy screen to adjust those preferences, that screen no longer exists. Nevertheless, any time you changed a preference setting what you were actually doing was changing the values in the settings files underneath.

It should be a very simple change to make and one that can very easily be changed back if needed.

The very fact that the JavaScript option no longer appears in your basic preferences should be ringing alarm bells. They are trying to make it difficult for you to easily protect yourself because these companies are all "in it together". Internet Explorer will assuredly do the same thing soon enough. They know the average home user will be scared.

Gird up your loins make and take control. You CAN do it.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

03-02-2016, 01:51 PM

Here's a simple instruction on what to do. Looks like a 3yr old could do it.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/48982...ater-versions/
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 02:55 PM

Thanks very much Realist.....I've done that now...simples ! Let's see what happens now
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

03-02-2016, 03:01 PM

Thanks very much Realist.....I've done that now...simples ! Let's see what happens now
Well...what happened was my smilies disappeared along with my font and font sizes choices that also disappeared ...so I've changed it back again, but thanks for your help anyways
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

03-02-2016, 03:16 PM

Well...what happened was my smilies disappeared along with my font and font sizes choices that also disappeared ...so I've changed it back again, but thanks for your help anyways
Sigh.

yes, you lose some of the "sexy" functionality of some websites. None of it is essential. You can create a smiley face simply by typing the characters : - )

You can make text bold by simply by typing a code before and after the text just like this

[z] My Text [/z]

but replacing the z with a b for bold

If you wish to trade casual functionality for computer virus/malware safety then by all means go ahead. It is precisely that sexy functionality that will eventually catch you.

Well done for trying though.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

03-02-2016, 03:17 PM

Note that I always have JavaScript disabled when using this forum. It doesn't impede my use of it one iota.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 03:46 PM

I like the idea of disabling JavaScript. However, if I do is it likely to cause Chrome to 'forget' my passwords? I find the automatic entering of passwords when I log on to favourite sites very useful.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

03-02-2016, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I like the idea of disabling JavaScript. However, if I do is it likely to cause Chrome to 'forget' my passwords? I find the automatic entering of passwords when I log on to favourite sites very useful.
I'm sensing that is a deliberate wind up post JBR!

You should ALWAYS type in your own passwords. NEVER allow your computer to do it for you. If you do, then clearly your login/password details are being stored somewhere on your computer and/or in cyberworld. That being the case malware and viruses can and will get hold of it. Asking for trouble imo. Don't be lazy !

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top