Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 03:11 PM

Re: American baskets

In Canada...when moving into a new home...we'd get a visit from "The Welcome Wagon"...a few days later. There'd be goodies and info about the new neighbourhood, tucked into a beautiful basket...

It was an awesome gesture/tradition...but I don't know whether or not it still exists... Aww memories...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Look on the bright side ladies.... you can take us lot with you if you move again.
Not sure about that Twink , would you or anyone else really want to come with me to a woodland burial
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 04:00 PM

I have heard of it being an American custom for people who are visiting to bring a gift with them to their welcoming friends' home.
Maybe it's just a bottle of wine if they are invited for a meal, but I think it's other things too like hand made gifts and ornaments.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 04:08 PM

When I moved house (not this one) a neighbour from across the road came over and brought me an enormous bunch of gladioli from his garden. Despite moving fifteen times, that is the only time anyone ever welcomed me.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I have heard of it being an American custom for people who are visiting to bring a gift with them to their welcoming friends' home.
Maybe it's just a bottle of wine if they are invited for a meal, but I think it's other things too like hand made gifts and ornaments.
That's the sort of thing I was thinking of, like homemade jams or jellies as they would be called.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That's the sort of thing I was thinking of, like homemade jams or jellies as they would be called.
That's it mate, or a fresh blueberry pie.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 04:29 PM

Our neighbourhood is like Missy's
I usually bake a cake!

Who in their right mind would give anyone mineral water?!!!!
We have taps and American's have faucets!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Our neighbourhood is like Missy's
I usually bake a cake!

Who in their right mind would give anyone mineral water?!!!!
We have taps and American's have faucets!!
They use the 'John'

Boozer can't.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
They use the 'John'

Boozer can't.
Ahahahahaha
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 08:03 PM

Yes, in my area of upstate NY it is still done, if you are lucky enough to have good neighbors. They bring a casserole, or coffee cakes or cookies, whatever, just to say a friendly hello. In my apt. building, I still get fresh picked blueberries, fresh scones, homemade soup, etc from time to time. I reciprocate, it makes for a good community.

The younger generation doesnt cook anymore, and are too busy running their kids to sports games to think of doing things for neighbors.They are missing out.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top