Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 11:39 PM

Thirst for knowledge

Do you sometimes wish you knew more about events which have happened in your lifetime or even before your existence?

I watch programmes about historical news items and documentaries about such important happenings as Vietnam, World War I & II, political figures, artists, how other countries formed and the world in general and think why do I know nothing? It seems I am only just wanting to delve into such subjects and I often feel that I have left it too late.

Over the past couple of years I have been busy buying those 'Chronicles of the 20th Century' books, watching many documentaries on our history and even buying true-fact movies such as "Born On The Fourth Of July" and "Schindler's List" in an effort to brush up on my knowledge.

I often think: Am I basically so thick I can't take anything in, or is it because I have occupied my mind with present day life and its issues and problems that I haven't had time to invest my brain into historical things?

I look at people on University Challenge who appear to know everything there is to know about everything that has ever happened in the world ever lol, or very intelligent 'celebrities' like Stephen Fry who knows all there is to know about any given subject he is asked about.

How do they know so much about life in such a short period of time?

Then I look at others who are the same age as me and don't read a paper, don't watch the news, can't do a crossword and have a limited vocabulary and still are able to function with the lives. I'm pleased I'm not that sorely downtrodden...but they seem happy.

Am I going through a crisis of some kind? Should I just ignore the world and what's going on in it? Am I over thinking things?

God! What have I left you with here?!
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 11:47 PM

Re: Thirst for knowledge

I understand what you are saying, Floydy.

I have an insatiable curiosity to ingest any information about any subject. If it is something I've learned earlier, then I want to refresh myself and add to the details. So far I am retaining much of what I've absorbed. But I know many friends who don't feel a need to listen to news, read a book, or make their world larger, yet as you say, they are happy.

I hope to always have that curiosity.

You keep paying attention....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 11:47 PM

You are in a pensive mood tonight our Floydy. What's brought all this on?

I know what you mean about other's apparently superior knowledge though, I think much the same when I watch some of the quiz programmes, and especially 'The Chase'. How can some people know so much on so many different subjects too?

I'm afraid I know very little about so many subjects, and occasionally it has been frustrating, but I am still happy in my own way.
I know a fair bit about the things that interest me, and that's what's more important to me in everyday life.

Peace of mind is more important to me than having a brain full of all sorts of obscure facts which I will probably never need.

If you feel you are developing a thirst for more knowledge, then go for it, and enjoy, but it's no substitute for health and simple contentment IMO. But maybe you could have both?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 11:50 PM

many many years ago ffloydy - we lived with no internet in our little community and that was enough with the occasionally holiday to the seaside - all we had all our knowledge was sufficient for a happy life - occasionally someone would buy us an encyclopedia etc or beano - our world was defined and our knowledge too. know we are living in a knowledge explosion and it's often too much - exploding news etc etc - we are over consumed with knowledge remember the old saying " too little knowledge can be a dangerous thing" - well " too much knowledge too"

how much knowledge do you think someone like rupert murdoch has ? and he will soon die - so what good has it done him?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 11:54 PM

Oh, Floydy I have an insatiable appetite for Knowledge. It is a good thing.
I am lucky because not only am I a speed reader and typist, but I retain the knowledge. I can read a book three times faster than most, then relate the content. Maybe it is because I have a nosey nature?????
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 11:55 PM

Yes, it's a strange conundrum isn't it?
I often ask myself if I have spent too much time enjoying myself earlier in life, or drinking too much throughout my RAF days that my brain has got frazzled. Why do I find it virtually impossible to take in new information?

I arrive at the theory that I can only digest what I am interested in knowing about. I couldn't, for instance, imagine going back to college and learning anything totally different and writing a massive essay on it. I can't remember anything that doesn't grab my attention.

I don't know why this is.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 11:58 PM

It's your mid life crisis.You'll get through it.Unless you buy a Harley of course.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

18-08-2018, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Oh, Floydy I have an insatiable appetite for Knowledge. It is a good thing.
I am lucky because not only am I a speed reader and typist, but I retain the knowledge. I can read a book three times faster than most, then relate the content. Maybe it is because I have a nosey nature?????
I can't do that at all, SP.
I understand what I'm reading in any book or newspaper and I can absorb just about anything on TV documentaries but when I'm asked to relay that information I seem to have forgotten it all which worries me.
But....when something jogs my memory I can then recall most of what I've seen or read. It's very odd.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

18-08-2018, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
It's your mid life crisis.You'll get through it.Unless you buy a Harley of course.
Now there's a great idea. Just forget about everything. Like Bob Seger in "Roll Me Away".
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I can't do that at all, SP.
I understand what I'm reading in any book or newspaper and I can absorb just about anything on TV documentaries but when I'm asked to relay that information I seem to have forgotten it all which worries me.
But....when something jogs my memory I can then recall most of what I've seen or read. It's very odd.
Ah, that is the key. I could teach you about that. When I am sober.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top