Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 12:02 AM

Re: Thirst for knowledge

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Yes, it's a strange conundrum isn't it?
I often ask myself if I have spent too much time enjoying myself earlier in life, or drinking too much throughout my RAF days that my brain has got frazzled. Why do I find it virtually impossible to take in new information?

I arrive at the theory that I can only digest what I am interested in knowing about. I couldn't, for instance, imagine going back to college and learning anything totally different and writing a massive essay on it. I can't remember anything that doesn't grab my attention.

I don't know why this is.

That is exactly what I meant when I said I know a fair bit about things that interest me.
I am not the least bothered about things which don't I'm afraid. I just wouldn't absorb them. Other things you can soak up like a sponge.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
many many years ago ffloydy - we lived with no internet in our little community and that was enough with the occasionally holiday to the seaside - all we had all our knowledge was sufficient for a happy life - occasionally someone would buy us an encyclopedia etc or beano - our world was defined and our knowledge too. know we are living in a knowledge explosion and it's often too much - exploding news etc etc - we are over consumed with knowledge remember the old saying " too little knowledge can be a dangerous thing" - well " too much knowledge too"

how much knowledge do you think someone like rupert murdoch has ? and he will soon die - so what good has it done him?
Absolutely nothing. I guess it's knowing enough of what you need to exist with - i.e. your job, how to conduct yourself in public, how to mend things, how to figure out your finances (which I never got right). Stuff like that.
I'd rather be quietly confident an safe in my knowledge than some people who talk and natter but don't actually know anything at all.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 12:03 AM

I think you were right the first time - frazzled brain - I've seen it in alcoholics!! - just sayin?/
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That is exactly what I meant when I said I know a fair bit about things that interest me.
I am not the least bothered about things which don't I'm afraid. I just wouldn't absorb them.
Are you a little like me Mups? You fully understand what you're reading or watching, but then it goes out of your head?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

19-08-2018, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I think you were right the first time - frazzled brain - I've seen it in alcoholics!! - just sayin?/
Yep mate, that was the 1990's for me. i was super intelligent before I joined the forces lol
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 12:05 AM

I think. we just get to a point in our lives where we have the time to further our knowledge

I think you , the same as me, had to start work early in life and didn't have the luxury of college or university

Add a life time of working to keep the wage coming in to improve our lives, its not unusual to go back to learning, even if it is self teaching , at an older age

My dear Mother In Law, didn't start to learn until her husband died
Oh she wasn't stupid or anything, but she had left school at 14, gone into service, married and became a housewife and mother looking after 5 kids, with a husband that did rule the house. If he said vote DUP, thats who she voted for. The change in her when she finally got her own life was totally remarkable
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Are you a little like me Mups? You fully understand what you're reading or watching, but then it goes out of your head?

It only goes out the other ear if it is something I have no interest in. Things I like, I can absorb more easily, though sometimes I will jot things down if I don't want to forget.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 12:07 AM

If someone (my OH) explains something to me one day I understand it at the time.The next day,she has to do it all over again.I put it down to old age (and perhaps not listening.)
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

19-08-2018, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->

My dear Mother In Law, didn't start to learn until her husband died
Oh she wasn't stupid or anything, but she had left school at 14, gone into service, married and became a housewife and mother looking after 5 kids, with a husband that did rule the house. If he said vote DUP, thats who she voted for. The change in her when she finally got her own life was totally remarkable
That's fascinating, Missy.
I speak to my wife sometimes and she is worse than me for not having much knowledge about past events. But she isn't bothered. She just says she was bringing the kids up.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

19-08-2018, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
It only goes out the other ear if it is something I have no interest in. Things I like, I can absorb more easily, though sometimes I will jot things down if I don't want to forget.
Originally Posted by Psmith ->
If someone (my OH) explains something to me one day I understand it at the time.The next day,she has to do it all over again.I put it down to old age (and perhaps not listening.)
Exactly. It's not just me then

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top