Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 03:29 AM

Re: Do you feel safe?

I feel safe and secure in my house. It's in a nice area but I do tend to jump up from the sofa every couple of minutes looking out of the window at anybody I don't recognise going past.
We get dodgy-looking lads wearing baseball caps on bikes cycling down our road a lot who are checking out people's cars and driveways so I make it known I'm watching them.

Up the road is where the student Libby Squire disappeared and my stepdaughter lives just 50 yards away down that street. I am conscious of that but on the whole it's a friendly area.

I don't like my wife being at home while I'm at work every night but she's okay with it. Soon that will change when I get sorted out to get a day job once again.

Good thread Annie, an important subject to discuss.
jackjackf
New Member!
Sydney, Australia
jackjackf is male 

27-03-2019, 06:40 AM

I know that I can defend myself, but there have been recent incidents that make me more aware of the risks. This article is about a 76yo man who was assaulted in his home by 3 young women in the middle of the night this week - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-...women/10941618
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by jackjackf ->
I know that I can defend myself, but there have been recent incidents that make me more aware of the risks. This article is about a 76yo man who was assaulted in his home by 3 young women in the middle of the night this week - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-...women/10941618
I think it's even more shocking that it's women who broke in Jack... you tend to associate that type of violence with men.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by jackjackf ->
Good morning Jack (or evening over in Aus).
Welcome to the forum!
jackjackf
New Member!
Sydney, Australia
jackjackf is male 

27-03-2019, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I think it's even more shocking that it's women who broke in Jack... you tend to associate that type of violence with men.

I agree Summer... times have changed
jackjackf
New Member!
Sydney, Australia
jackjackf is male 

27-03-2019, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Good morning Jack (or evening over in Aus).
Welcome to the forum!
Cheers mate, good to be here
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 07:15 AM

Welcome from me too Jack...hope you like it here.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 07:57 AM

Yes i feel safe in my home , there are a number of locks on doors and back gate so i never feel worried . I used to go out on my own to see bands play in the town but i dont now . I do visit a friend once a week who lives in deepest darkest Dorset as i call it , miles of country lanes and pitch black , im a little anxious when driving home around 10pm and feel relief when i get back to the main roads , i make sure car is locked and i stop for no one .

We have our problems like all towns .
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 08:58 AM

I live in a mixed neighbourhood but it is very safe; I've never felt afraid of anything in my home.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I was wondering how many members of the forum feel safe in their house, their neighbourhood and doing their day to day activities in the outside world.

I have been feeling a growing sense of menace due to publicity of a lack of policing and an increase in those turning to crime as a lifestyle choice. But is this in proportion to reality?

As we get older do we simply become more aware of our own frailty or is society getting more dangerous?
I think both.
I don't feel afraid because I don't live alone but I am aware of our growing fragility and vulnerablity.
Our lovely dog Mungo hasn't a bone of aggression in him although he would warn us of someone outside .
I live in the country in a low risk area .
It's horrible to be afraid and I would not like to live alone .

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top