Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2011, 07:50 PM

old versus new (laptop vs ipad)

A question for you, my brother has just been given an Apple Ipad, now he knows nothing about computers, or anything to do with technology, so last night he rang me to see if I could help him with it, I went to his place this morning, and I must say I was completely gob smacked, and totally lost, for myself I am 72, and my brother is 69 next month, the newest comp I have, is a tower with windows XP operating system on it, I have always been satisfied with my setup, but it seems technology has passed me by, so my question is, do you think my brother has taken too much on, and wouldn't he have been better with an ordinary laptop to start with
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2011, 08:03 PM

Re: old versus new (laptop vs ipad)

Are there any places that offer advice to senior citizens about computer use? Did he get it at the Apple store; surely someone there should be able to give him basic instructions or point him in the direction to go for help. Also, college students? Many of them will take on tutoring for a fee; I had a very nice young man help me with my new Mac when some of the things I needed were beyond my or my friend's capabilities.

Edited: I assume it came with a manual; at least my new Mac did; some of it was a bit too techy but a lot of it was helpful .....
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2011, 08:18 PM

Dandysmom, the manual you get on line, it is 198 pages long, we used to have learning classes for the elder people based in the local librarys, but the cuts have done away with that, and, my brothers daughter has bought the Ipad for my brother, she is a chartered accountant and part owner of a business, so I think the Ipad has been bought through the firm, she is well up with all modern gadgets, but I dont think she has really thought this through, but she lives and works mostly down south, although her home is close to Warrington, so she isnt much help to him, he has grandchildren who could help, but they are in Burton on Trent, so same problem, I have a 16 year old grandson who lives close to my brother who could really help. but he is to proud to ask for it, so stalemate.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2011, 08:35 PM

Ah, I see your problem. Any chance you could talk to your grandson to just pop by as if it were a regular visit, and then mention casually that he'd heard about the new tablet and would like to see it .... then go from there?

Burton-on-Trent..... that's where my paternal side of the family emigrated from back in the late 1800s!! Small world.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2011, 08:36 PM

What got me Aitch is the terms you have to use, it's like having to learn a whole new language, but if you don't get used to them you'll never know what you're on about, explain them as best you can to your brother. Last year I knew absolutely nothing about computers or the like until I learned what applications, dongles, hard drives, soft wear etc. etc. meant. I don't think I would be able to handle a new Apple I-pad though, and the thing is when he learns how to use it, it will probably be out of date.
Antibrown is the best man to advise you, he helped me a lot.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

30-09-2011, 08:48 PM

Antibrown, yes! And Azz has been very very helpful when I had a tech question; I know he's busy but always found time to reply. I was almost 74 when I got my first computer; am on my second now.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2011, 10:09 PM

Mags will be able to help - she has an iPad

But in answer to your question, I think getting used to an iPad is easier than getting used to a laptop (as there's less you can do with them).

Click on the icon for the 'Safari' web browser - then at least you got the web bit sorted and you can slowly experiment with the rest
aitch
Wigan

30-09-2011, 11:27 PM

Just an example of the type of man my brother is, he has a Sony television, and up till this year when we went completly digital he was viewing just 5 channels, when the changeover happened he rang me to say his telly had gone completly blank, and could I help, I went up and activated the free view menu, and got all the other channels for him, He had been using that telly for 2 years not knowing how to access the free-view applications, this man was a transport manager for BAE, He had a caravan on a site near Southport, He bought a small flat screen telly for that and had it 12 months not knowing that it had a DVD player as part of its programmes, I love him dearly, but I will say no more.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2011, 11:44 PM

I couldn't get on with the Ipad , I am no good where I have to use my fingers to control things, likewise with the laptop I need to use a mouse for control
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2011, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Mags will be able to help - she has an iPad

But in answer to your question, I think getting used to an iPad is easier than getting used to a laptop (as there's less you can do with them).

Click on the icon for the 'Safari' web browser - then at least you got the web bit sorted and you can slowly experiment with the rest
Arghhh! You've just thrown me in at the deep end Azz!

Yes, I have an iPad and I wouldn't have known how to use it but for my very helpful son! He set it up for me and bookmarked all the sites I use regularly.
It's very useful, especially to carry around with you but it would never replace my Mac.

As Azz mentioned, the Safari web browser is a good place to start.

If your brother knows nothing at all about computers, I really think it would be better for someone to show him the basics at least. Maybe your 16 year old grandson could call in to see him, get talking about the iPad and offer some help to him then.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top