Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 11:31 PM

Re: Your election promises!

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

We need to take back control of our own destiny, and leaving the EU would be a good start....
Sadly we will never be competitive on a global market, but we could keep companies small and family run once more and just produce for our own national market, we are a country of over 68 million souls, surely producing for our own market would keep our employment figures very healthy. If we stay too closely linked to the EU and other economies, when they go down, we go down with them....
How can you say that we will never be competitive on the global market?! Britain had an empire spanning the world.

Producing for our own market would not work. We do not have all the raw materials we need to sustain self sufficiency. We do not produce enough food and we need to import all sorts of inputs. This has always been a trading nation. Why change?

Brits are fabulous innovators. The most amazing creative ideas have come from these isles. It's complacency, sloppiness and self doubt that are the killers.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
How can you say that we will never be competitive on the global market?! Britain had an empire spanning the world.

Producing for our own market would not work. We do not have all the raw materials we need to sustain self sufficiency. We do not produce enough food and we need to import all sorts of inputs. This has always been a trading nation. Why change?

Brits are fabulous innovators. The most amazing creative ideas have come from these isles. It's complacency, sloppiness and self doubt that are the killers.
You sort of answered my question for me Annie....
We do not have the raw materials we need to sustain self sufficiency...

So we are at the mercy of whoever we have to buy from.....
when Britain had an empire the bulk of industry was situated in this country.
Coal was the main supplier of energy to the steelworks, cotton mills and pottery works etc....But since we have kicked our own locally mined coal into the long grass, we now have to use alternative methods of energy production or buy coal from elsewhere. Plus the fact that other countries have built up their industries (probably with the help of British Engineers) and can produce stuff a lot cheaper due to their labour costs. There are of course other factors..

I never expected that we could become self sufficient Annie, but we could produce a hell of a lot more stuff locally than we do at present, cutting down transport costs and congestion on our road networks. We will never revisit those heady days of the empire when the UK was centre of the universe, but we could help our employment and become more self sufficient than we are at present....Isn't this what the Limp Dems and Green party want to help prevent climate change and save the planet? Globalism only benefits the big multinational money makers and they have complete control of your, and most other Governments.
Just ask yourself why, when we had a referendum and a majority to come out of the EU, we are still in it?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by oldgreyfox ->
we do not have the raw materials we need to sustain self sufficiency...

so we are at the mercy of whoever we have to buy from.....
When britain had an empire the bulk of industry was situated in this country.
Coal was the main supplier of energy to the steelworks, cotton mills and pottery works etc....but since we have kicked our own locally mined coal into the long grass, we now have to use alternative methods of energy production or buy coal from elsewhere. Plus the fact that other countries have built up their industries (probably with the help of british engineers) and can produce stuff a lot cheaper due to their labour costs. There are of course other factors..

I never expected that we could become self sufficient annie, but we could produce a hell of a lot more stuff locally than we do at present, cutting down transport costs and congestion on our road networks. We will never revisit those heady days of the empire when the uk was centre of the universe, but we could help our employment and become more self sufficient than we are at present....isn't this what the limp dems and green party want to help prevent climate change and save the planet? Globalism only benefits the big multinational money makers and they have complete control of your, and most other governments.
Just ask yourself why, when we had a referendum and a majority to come out of the eu, we are still in it?

Yes, we could certainly do a lot better than we are at present, but first we need to leave the EU and then we must reform Parliament and how this country is run.

It could be done, but it would require us all to work together. Is that possible? We have done it, but it was a long time ago.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
You might like these too LD!

All orange people would have to prove that they aren't carrots!
If they can't then they would have to appear in Aldi adverts!
Weird eyebrows will be shaved off and sold as fake moustaches.
Wheelbarrows will be licensed to fund public parks.

Did I mention free cheese?
I think Tessa and Old grey fox should form a coalition government
and rule as joint dictators??

Donkeyman!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 05:58 PM

I'd start with a "Pay For Performance" set up in all of the government departments, including the NHS.

It would also include Teaching, Police, Civil Service, local councils, etc.

That would require each user (patient) to rate the service, on a scale of 1 to 5, for each of our "employees ,where 1 would be "Excellent", in the function would be required to be matched, annually, against his/her performance before any pay rise/promotion.

Those getting a 5 would need to be gone.

Those getting 4 would be offered a plan.

Only 1s to 3s would get rises, or promotion.l

I would also promise to arrange for a similar marking system, by randomly selected people in the public, to assess MPs.

Telling porkies and/or organising stupid money losing projects, back handers, would, as, above lead to a minimum of a pay cut, or even a sacking.

Many will disagree, but I am sure that so much of our dis-satisfaction comes from the way our Civil Service is managed.
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 07:26 PM

I’d follow the time honoured tradition of all parties with my election manifesto and Promise the electorate Jam Tomorrow

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top