Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 07:47 AM

Re: Australian broadcaster Clive James has died

I have to stick my nose in here one more time., I have spent the day poring over my Clive James collection. Looking at pieces on You Tube etc. And I will freely admit there has been a little moistening of the eyes from time to time. My last tribute. Among the many things that I admired and loved about the man was that he never devalued or rubbished his Australian roots like some of his contemporaries viz Humphries and Greer, did. And OMG could he write.

“As I begin this last paragraph, outside my window a misty afternoon drizzle gently but inexorably soaks the City of London. Down there in the street I can see umbrellas commiserating with each other. In Sydney Harbour, 12,000 miles away and 10 hours from now, the yachts will be racing on the crushed diamond water under a sky the texture of powdered sapphires. It would be churlish not to concede that the same abundance of natural blessings which gave us the energy to leave has every right to call us back…Pulsing like a beacon through the days and nights, the birthplace of the fortunate sends out its invisible waves of recollection. It always has and it always will, until even the last of us come home.”
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I have to stick my nose in here one more time., I have spent the day poring over my Clive James collection. Looking at pieces on You Tube etc. And I will freely admit there has been a little moistening of the eyes from time to time. My last tribute. Among the many things that I admired and loved about the man was that he never devalued or rubbished his Australian roots like some of his contemporaries viz Humphries and Greer, did. And OMG could he write.

“As I begin this last paragraph, outside my window a misty afternoon drizzle gently but inexorably soaks the City of London. Down there in the street I can see umbrellas commiserating with each other. In Sydney Harbour, 12,000 miles away and 10 hours from now, the yachts will be racing on the crushed diamond water under a sky the texture of powdered sapphires. It would be churlish not to concede that the same abundance of natural blessings which gave us the energy to leave has every right to call us back…Pulsing like a beacon through the days and nights, the birthplace of the fortunate sends out its invisible waves of recollection. It always has and it always will, until even the last of us come home.”
Powerful words Keezoy.

I remember Sunday evenings watching Clive James on TV with Marherita Pracatan and her awful singing and that Japanese Endurance game.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 10:19 AM

Fancy being able to write like that....he saw the comical in everything too ...I loved that. He made his mark didn't he...RIP Clive.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 10:24 AM

I also remember him mostly for his Sunday night show with Marherita. He was so witty and always had a cheeky twinkle in his eye. I loved the way he could make fun of people without them noticing.

One of the all time greats.

RIP
Juke19
Sheffield, UK
Juke19 is female 

28-11-2019, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->

I read the quoted bit in his voice - with a slight but distinct nasal twang.
I loved watching his brilliant shows on tv and had a couple of his audio books. The way he used to write his own obituaries after the diagnosis was so funny, waiting for death and being surprised to be alive after each setback.

RIP Clive ... thanks for all the fun and entertainment.

ETA: such a shame he could never go back to Australia after his diagnosis as he wanted to so much.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 12:05 PM

Such a shame when a great talent dies. I always enjoyed his shows on TV. A great man with a great sense of humour.
pathfinder
scotland
pathfinder is male  pathfinder has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 05:12 PM

Great sense of humour quick witted nice guy shame R.I.P
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
The Australian broadcaster and author Clive James has died. I hadn't seen him for some while but understood him to be unwell back in 2009.

RIP Clive James

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50578512
/

Yes, a sad loss indeed. I used to love watching him on his travel programme. He had a lovely sense of humour, with a broad smile to match. R.I.P. Clive.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 06:24 PM

I used to think that Clive James was .... Corrr and so charismatic.

RIP Clive James
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 05:19 PM

An interview from about 5 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6crPL5BvkdM

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top