Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 06:51 PM

Post-war prefabs, does anyone remember them?

My parents started out their married life living in one of these in north London. They were warm, comfortable and had enormous gardens, this gave them the start to move on to other properties. Their's even had a refrigerator, considered a luxury in those days:

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/un...t-war-prefabs/

Now they are making a comeback, albeit in a more modern design. I wonder why someone hasn't thought of this before now? They are ideal for getting a start, especially for the homeless:

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2019...-in-cambridge/
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 07:09 PM

Re: Post-war prefabs, does anyone remember them?

Yes Baz, I well remember rows of prefabs in the town next to us, although I was never in one.

They have all now been demolished, although there are many "timber schemes" in and around where we live. I do believe, however, that it is not easy to obtain a mortgage for this type of property.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 07:10 PM

Excellent articles, Baz, thank you

I remember these well because my Uncle Jack used to live in one in the first development of its kind in immediate post-war Hull. We used to visit them often in their house, which reminds me of a looking similar to a large stucco-panelled garage to be honest. A beautiful, homely bungalow nevertheless.
This is one from the area where they lived:

This link is very lengthy, but it details a history of Hull's post-war buildings;
https://shanejessp.wordpress.com/201...econstruction/

I like the photo of the lady with her enormous cat in the first link btw!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 07:53 PM

I remember them in the town I was bought up in.
The government keep on about supplying cheap housing, surely this is the answer
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 08:02 PM

This is a good idea, providing they are giving to people in genuine need.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 08:21 PM

One of my aunts used to live in a prefab after the war and I can remember how we loved to visit her as it was so cosy and warm inside.

The History of Bristol's Prefabs...

https://www.bristolstories.org/story/155
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 08:51 PM

There's an old post war prefab hiding behind this overgrown garden, the others have all been rebuilt

Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 09:01 PM

Yes my pals family lived in one, I was often inside it and loved it, especially the kitchen.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 09:51 PM

The Taylor Hall estate and an estate in Heckmondwike were composed of this type pre-fab building. Can't remember them being warm and cosy though. The inner walls were less than an inch thick filled with glass-fibre sheets. External walls weren't much better. The houses were heated with the old style block storage-heaters (very inefficient) and if it wasn't for the subsidised electricity schemes, would have been very expensive. Stiflingly hot in summer too.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 10:22 PM

My aunt lived in one for a while when she first arrived in York. There were quite a lot of them about.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top