Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 10:34 PM

Re: Dog Licensing.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I've wondered about this. Because if you are in a park and there is a stranger with a dog that attacks you or your dog, how will you ever be able to identify them? I wonder how many people are ever caught. The responsible owners will swap details.

btw doesn't petplan include cover for this sort of thing? I've never thought of insurance as I thought the petplan policy covered liability.

Hi Annie,
If the dog's owner doesn't report it, the child's mother must.
If the child was bitten and needed medical treatment it would have been recorded at the hospital or doctors surgery.
Swim made no mention of how bad the bite was?

Since the Dangerous Dogs Act came in, the dog doesn't even have to bite, would you believe! You only need to think it was going to bite you - which leaves this law wide open to abuse IMO.

Annie, I understand what you mean about if it was a stranger and you had no idea who they were and where they lived, I imagine that would be more difficult, but if a dog hurt me or my dog I would still report it and describe it as well as I could.

However, according to the OP, this was not the case.
Swim and the child's mother know full well who the dog belonged to and where it lives, so the mother should have told the cops straight away. They had all the information about the owner, plus the proof of injury, plus probably witnesses if it was school time.
Writing about it on here won't do a darn thing to help prevent it happening again.

One ridiculous part of the DDA legislation does state that 'Dog on Dog' attacks are not counted, unless it is a guide dog, working dog or assistance dog.
While I agree these dogs are vital to their owners very existence sometimes, I also think family pets are probably equally treasured by their owners as well.

Having said that, when one of mine was badly attacked while heavily pregnant a few years back, the police did help me and paid the owner a visit.

I can't tell you about Pet Plans cover as I am not insured with them nowadays. You would need to read your policy and ring them and ask.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 11:09 PM

Mups you have more faith in our legal and policing system than I do I guess. OH was bitten by a neighbour's dog before his illness when he still had a claims business. His solicitor colleague made it clear that there would be no case worth pursuing. He was pretty cheesed off that he could not take it further particularly when it was his area. It was an aggressive dog. But you need witnesses and evidence that an injury affects your life or some form of long term psychological trauma. If the child is badly injured they may have a case, but you'd need lots of money for a solicitor who will fight a case if not. So yes you can report this to the police but you need a solid case for it to go further. You also need to be willing to go through the court process which is incredibly gruelling. It takes an awful lot of time and trouble and you can end up losing after all that effort.

I think it would be best if they just didn't sell dogs to anyone who stumps up the cash. Dog ownership is cruel if you don't have enough time and energy to put into looking after a furry friend. Some people I have seen in the park don't seem to understand that or perhaps they just lack maturity and insight. I do think dogs should have more rights. After all we put so much effort into making sure children are not adopted by irresponsible parents, yet with a dog it can be sold to just about anyone. Some of the stories I read are heartbreaking. Yet they don't change the law.

I can't believe that dog on dog attacks are not covered by legislation. But perhaps it's not surprising as the law seems to be totally focused on humans. I guess that's because humans have written it!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 11:22 PM

Well all I can say it they cops helped me, Annie.
Mind you, it could have been because a man from the local council got the bloke's number plate quickly, and helped me report it. Maybe the council man had more 'sway' than I might have, on my own.

If anyone bothers to read the DDA, the cops have to act on dog bites humans, or at the very least record it, although I suspect many cops don't know the details of the Act themselves even!

Like I said, sadly, to my knowledge, it is not considered an offence for dog on dog attack unless it is a service dog.
I believe that came about because of 'Finn's Law.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...herts-48510975

You remember? That lovely old police dog that got stabbed, although there has also been an increase in Guide dogs being attacked too.
That is so sickening I think, because those beautiful gentle, loyal animals don't even know how to defend themselves, let alone the owner is lost without their guide dog.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 11:50 PM

That's a heartwarming story about Finn. The poor boy, he looks so wise and soulful.

I've noticed that sorting anything out these days depends on the character of whoever you end up with on the phone or in person. So some council staff are fabulous and I'm sure it's the same for police. It can be a bit of a lottery. But there are plenty of good 'uns out there.

They really should think about changing some of these laws, but I guess they are busy with other things in Parliament such as throwing custard pies at each other
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 11:58 PM

Is it bad now for folks who are custodians of a Dog and a Bike?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 11:59 PM

The net is closing.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

06-12-2019, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That's a heartwarming story about Finn. The poor boy, he looks so wise and soulful.

I've noticed that sorting anything out these days depends on the character of whoever you end up with on the phone or in person. So some council staff are fabulous and I'm sure it's the same for police. It can be a bit of a lottery. But there are plenty of good 'uns out there.

They really should think about changing some of these laws, but I guess they are busy with other things in Parliament such as throwing custard pies at each other

I completely agree with that Annie.

I had a bad problem a year or so ago. One person just sat on for months and months until I complained. As soon as someone else stepped in, it was sorted within 3 weeks - after I had been waiting a good year with the other twerp.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2019, 10:46 AM

Really some people just should not own dogs .
My dog is super friendly completely unaggressive be it to man woman or child or dog . When surrounded by a bunch of huge aggressive dogs recently he held his cool and didn’t spark them . They were monster mastiffs off lead and in the charge of several totally in competent women . They ignored all calls and really were looking for an excuse to fight .
Had my dog been a child I can’t think what would have happened .
As it was they did nothing and my dog was unscathed .
Last year I was out walking another dog ( an amiable Labrador ) and it was attacked by another large dog the woman feebly cried bad dog Noddy or whatever it was called . I shouted at it and whacked it with the lead and it let go still bristling It’s owner ( a small woman ) looked at me in horror ( no apology of course ) and I felt very much inclined to give her a whack too for being so useless !
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2019, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
More of a targeted attack I believe.
If so - it is entirely unwarranted. If I guess aright - the target in question is known to be a very caring and responsible pet owner.

I cannot see that going back to issuing licenses for dogs would solve the problems of dogs biting people. The owners need educating - preferably before they have a dog.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2019, 11:23 AM

Of course there is one thing that would solve most problems - keep the dog on a lead in public places, especially when there are signs telling us to do so. If you don't and your dog bites someone, you could be in big trouble. I have only been a dog owner for a short time but I am amazed at how many people ignore these signs. they are there for a reason.

Murtagh is not aggressive towards people or other dogs but he could quite easily jump up at a child for attention and that could be seen as an attack. I prefer to keep him on a short lead when passing young children.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top