Join for free
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 07:28 AM

Who is God?

I have been reading some of the threads posted whilst we were away and one thread,' Good as you, not in this case ' made me smile at some of the comments as it generated into a religious theme.

It posed a question for me which I will let you answer ( if you can ).

God is supposed to have created man and woman and all things, god is looked at as of human form by some people, god created good and bad according to some people, God created heaven and earth, what about hell?.

I diverse, my question is where did God come from?

According to the Big Bang theory, a extremely hot and dense singularity expanded rapidly (big bang) which is still expanding and creating the universe, so, would this make the ' Big Bang ' ' GOD '?.

No falling out or calling names just plain everyday facts if you have them please.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 07:50 AM

Re: Who is God?

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
I diverse, my question is where did God come from?

According to the Big Bang theory, a extremely hot and dense singularity expanded rapidly (big bang) which is still expanding and creating the universe, so, would this make the ' Big Bang ' ' GOD '?.
This God person came from the minds of people who were trying to explain the universe thousands of years ago. It was simply assumed it had to have been created by some form of factless non-corporeal intelligence - simply because it made a good story at the time. Unfortunatly people started to believe it and have been killing each other over it ever since.

The Big Bang event was an act of nature and there is absolutely nothing to remotely suggest there was any form of creative design or intelligence behind it.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 07:52 AM

Man definitely created the Big Bang theory, and maybe created God, as I understand it, God is supposed to have made what was already there habitable for man, who knows, sometimes you just have to go with your gut, on this basis, I have plenty to go on.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 08:16 AM

Antibrown said : ---God is supposed to have created man and woman and all things, god is looked at as of human form by some people, god created good and bad according to some people, God created heaven and earth, what about hell?.

God is our creator, now who you think is God is up to you, don't believe what any books say, that is the theory of the writer.
Unfortunately we have too many religions, and they can't all be right, but God is a word for the Almighty, some kids these days think their football team manager is their God, and other characters they look up too, that's because we have too many religions in our school, when I was a kid, Christianity was taught in our schools whatever your race.
The books that came with those religions we have today is man's interpretation of the way man thinks we should run our daily lives, if we had one religion we wouldn't have any of the fighting round the world we have today.
That said unfortunately it will never change, but we can only hope.
Myself I have practised Spiritualism for that last 40+ years, and it is Gods spirit that we live by.
I don't expect you to read through all the attached link, but it might explain more.
So in answer to your GOOD question Bob, no one really knows.
Gods Spirit
Erinaceous
East Anglia
Erinaceous is male  Erinaceous has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 09:20 AM

There is no “god” other than in the minds of people who need an explanation for what remains unknown or a “comfort blanny” because they daren't face reality.

In the distant past the world contained a multitude of things taking place the reason for which were unknown and for which a default explanation was thought up. As time passed and knowledge increased so the things that could only be “explained” by supernatural fell by the wayside and so the need for the default declined.

Good grief, I remember at school being taught that plate tectonics was a load of rubbish and yet …

Even now the understanding of how and why lightning strikes is quite recent knowledge. It was well understood that a massive static electric charge was created in clouds but why the discharge took place across a gap that was much wider than an electric arc could occur was not.

Now it is.

The god myth is compounded because of memes, cultural concepts that are replicated throughout populations and time like a virus. Richard Dawkins introduces this concept together with supporting evidence and examples in his excellent book “The Selfish Gene” which can be accessed at :-

http://www.arvindguptatoys.com/arvin...ne-dowkins.pdf

but it's quite a big file.

So who or what is god? It's nothing more than a place holder for for those who need one because they can't accept that what is not understood today will very soon be explained.

Let's face it, what is still unknown is getting smaller by the day as the things not yet explained fall away at an ever increasing pace.

Maybe the abandonment of “god” is an essential step in the evolution of humankind so that they can concentrate of overcoming the ageing process instead of mildly accepting that death is a part of their “gods will” and the illusion that there is some form of pie in the sky when you die.

There isn't.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 09:53 AM

There is no God its a myth. We are here due to the evolution of the species. We weren't put here by a God. If there was a God he or she wouldn't let good people die and evil people live. I am happy and proud to be an atheist.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 10:13 AM

Thank you for your replies people, particularly the one from the seemingly a self opinionated person, it was a tongue in cheek question after all and not really expected to bring such answers.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Thank you for your replies people, particularly the one from the seemingly a self opinionated person, it was a tongue in cheek question after all and not really expected to bring such answers.
I'm a little bemused by this post Bob, but basically what a load of old blarney! I'm sure you knew exactly what sort of answers you would get, and as for "self opinionated" people, aren't we all self opinionated if we have opinions, and finally may I ask what sort of answers you were actually expecting then?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 11:30 AM

What a question AB!, everyone has their own idea about God and Gods, religion, beliefs, non beliefs, etc. I echo Plantmans question, what are you looking for in answers?.
By the way I'm a "BABA", it's a new religion I just made up, why not? everyone's at it these days and I hear it can be quite profitable and tax free. BABA stands for "Born again, born again.", just to be one up on the opposition.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 03:52 PM

Well Bob, I thought I gave a reasonable explanation of who is God, if I am self opinionated so be it.
But I truly believe what I have written, I didn't join this thread to be controversial, but to give it our I see it and believe it to be so.

Answering those who are atheists, that too is a religion because it has a following, but I bet everyone who says they are an atheist enjoy celebrating Christmas and Easter, and all the religious holidays they get.
Ninety nine out of a hundred get married in church, and most of their funerals are conducted at a religious ceremony.

I don't mind what others think about religion, that is entirely up to them.
All I can say is I believe in who I think is my Almighty creator, if when I die I am wrong, it will not matter, if I am right then it might.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top