Join for free
Page 280 of 370 « First < 180 230 270 278 279 280 281 282 290 330 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 11:35 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Thanks Floydy and Tachyon, the congested chests (sounds like something out of 'The Pirates of the Caribbean') do seem to be hanging on and it was for this reason I was feeling a little apprehensive about doing a long run yesterday.

So under a cloudless early morning sky, dressed in just tee shirt and shorts (my first run of the year without my thin fleece top) I set off out into the country on a course that offers three alternatives. A short route of six miles, a longer route of eight miles and the opportunity of being chased by the farm dog (good for speed training, or Animal psychology if I'm too tired to run) or a gentle ten miles along scenic canal banks.....

I padded down the lonely sundrenched road listening to the sounds of nature and realising that I didn't feel too bad after all, so without a second thought I passed through the little kissing gate and onto the grassy canal bank and braced myself for what might turn out to be a bad decision, there would be no shortcut now as as I steered myself into the full ten miles.

I passed the time of day with three fishermen tackling up at the side of the mirror like surface of the water. "I hope you've got plenty of suncream" I managed to spit out between gasps of breath...."Aye Youngen" was the reply. To think that they thought I was younger than them made me put on some style and quicken my pace...

Five miles done and back padding along the road again, the rhythm of my shoes slapping on the tarmac was kind of comforting as a disturbed pheasant sprang up from the hedgerow and flew off indignantly clucking, annoyed at being woken.

I tiptoed past the deserted farm and in the absence of barking realised that I would pass the farm dog without incident or confrontation... At eight miles I knew that I hadn't got the energy I thought I had, but with just two miles to go, surely I could hang on for that.

Just wearing a tee shirt so early in the fresh and nippy morning did seem like a mistake on those early miles, but it turned out to be a very good decision now on the last mile of that fast warmimg road as the sun began to make it's presence felt.
But the tee shirt didn't help as I lumbered and staggered over the last half mile through the village.

How I managed to survive those last desperate paces I'll never know, and with energy deserting me It felt like the last mile of the hardest marathon I've ever run, but call it experience, Yorkshire grit or just bloody mindedness I held on until the end and finally collapsed onto the drive. It's a good job Mrs Fox was out doing her Sunday walk or I would have been in so much trouble....Now begins the task of recovery...Same again Tuesday?.....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 11:47 AM

Oh dear Bob, I do worry that you may overdo your running one day and it may affect your heart .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 01:21 PM

An amazing effort today Bob, but I do echo what Mags says: please be careful. I know how difficult it is though to stop at a certain point when you set yourself a goal.
But besides all that, another superb read there
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 01:45 PM

A quick photo from my day out in Driffield on Saturday, which saw three of us have a wonderful time sampling their local brews. The locals are so friendly in that picturesque town and we’ll do it again someday. I'm on the left at the back.

Now to the main point of today’s post then and I've been wanting to take a walk across the Humber Bridge for some time and it must be 4-5 years since I last travelled across it by foot, so I woke up early and drove over to Hessle Foreshore and parked up the car. The weather was absolutely gorgeous at 9 a.m. this morning and this was too good an opportunity to waste.

Armed then with a bottle of Diet Coke and my mobile I set off to the walkway and onto the bridge footpath. Some sundry couples were taking a stroll along with some cyclists in all their gear, dodging us pedestrians as I made my way casually but briskly across this wonderful landmark, which is just outside Hull.

Now this is where the exercise bit comes in - true, I was enjoying a fairly fast-paced walk but at the other end of the bridge I suddenly thought to myself "Maybe I could do a bit of a jog for a while here". Now it's ages since I was on a treadmill, never mind actually breaking into a run so this was only to last a couple of dozen yards perhaps. I wasn't exactly dressed for jogging either in a lightweight hoodie (plus t-shirt underneath) and casual shorts and I had to carry the bottle of fizz too as there were no bins on the bridge to ditch it and I certainly wasn't going to throw it over the side into the river.

But off I went from the very end near Barton-upon-Humber and started on my return journey. I set myself a target of the first tower and then I would return to walking, but I didn't stop - for some reason I couldn't do so - and carried on.
So Bob, you know what it's like: You then have a further goal and mine was the middle of the bridge, which is a fair trek (it's 1.5 miles each way) and uphill going back. To cut this short I ran all the way back to where I began, the steps down to the other side!

I was only slightly out of breath too, but sweating rather profusely and I put my better-than-expected efforts down to my fitness levels from general gym training and even my work, which keeps me active too. My legs are possibly a drawback to running as they are not built for the task being pretty heavy and chunky though on the other hand that strength plays an advantage maybe in keeping me going.

I was extremely pleased with myself as you can imagine and I now believe I have the bug!
This sort of thing will suit me fine and I’m going to plan a short run probably once a week from now on. Because of my night work the only time I will be able to do this will be on a Sunday morning, so I’m going to look at making some plans for future jogging events starting in a few weeks’ time!

A few quick photos. The last one was me at my car at the end of my run, feeling pretty well beaten up…

There are another couple of pics in the photo thread.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 09:53 PM

Floydy I'm absolutely amazed, that was one super effort.....I know that particular path from Barton on the East side of the bridge and that is a long relentless climb, and to keep going without stopping would have required some determination.

Sounds like a good plan for a Sunday morning but keep the distance down for now, you have the strength for speed and hill work but stamina for running for longer periods takes longer to achieve....I always knew there was a runner in you waiting to get out.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

22-04-2019, 10:00 PM

Thanks for your concern Mags and Floydy, it probably was a bit too far in my present condition and I've paid for it over the last couple of days with a slow recovery. I lasted about an hour in the garden today before I had to postpone the project and retreat to the snooker on the telly.....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

22-04-2019, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Floydy I'm absolutely amazed, that was one super effort.....I know that particular path from Barton on the East side of the bridge and that is a long relentless climb, and to keep going without stopping would have required some determination.

Sounds like a good plan for a Sunday morning but keep the distance down for now, you have the strength for speed and hill work but stamina for running for longer periods takes longer to achieve....I always knew there was a runner in you waiting to get out.....
Very wise and thoughtful words Bob, thank you
The problem with me is that I get something in my head that I am compelled to carry out and I always want to take things further. Not be the best as such but I hate to give in easily.

You are quite correct about my capabilities though. A near-17 stone bloke built for strength and heaving around that weight cannot sustain the stamina as a lighter, more lithe man could do much more easily. Muscle is perfect for endurance but I only have the same sized heart and lungs and my energy levels run out more quickly these days.
Twenty-five years ago running every night up and down those streets and hills of Lincoln straight after a 2-3 hour bodybuilding session were achievable but I was in my mid-30's then and those roads were mine.

Yes, I'll probably take a drive out somewhere near to my house (I can be in the countryside in less than ten minutes), I'll park up and do an hour's run - what distance that may entail I have no idea, I won't be measuring it for now. But there are some lovely villages near me - Walkington, Cottingham, Skidby, even maybe as far as Hornsea - that run along the seafront from the little 'bucket & spade' cafe to the far end caravan park going east and back would be a good jaunt - and even typing this now I'm getting itchy chomping at the bit to get myself in gear.

meanwhile I think it may be a good idea to recommence my Friday night cardio sessions at the gym. I'll do some treadmill work and this time go a little further than a fast walk by jogging some, that will motivate me for the open fields and roads. Mainly though, it's that thought of being indoors in the summer which I cannot abide - I need to get myself out into the fresh air. Now I have made this break for it, it will happen. I'll still be training at the gym but with less of the muscle-building stuff. I'm big enough and to do some general weights work still with goals but more stamina-based will keep me fit and agile plenty enough. There is the issue of leg training and so I don't ache too much after a leg session I'll arrange to train those probably each Tuesday, which would be about right.

Thank you Bob, you and indeed Suzie too have seriously influenced me by forwarding your running adventures and I know I have now found a new goal in life. Thanks both
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

23-04-2019, 06:09 PM

Tuesday 23/4/19: Legs. 1hr.05mins.
(All weights in kgs)

I set out today to do the remainder of last week’s final session, an upper body workout with some leg work thrown in. In the event, the leg session was more than I bargained for and by the end of some very intensive pressing on the machines I was pretty well beaten up. No time then for any upper body exercise but I’ll be catching up with a full workout in that area on Thursday.

I guess the main reason I was feeling the strain today was because of my Humber Bridge jog yesterday morning, my legs had used some muscles for running which are not usually affected by the weights and in hindsight I should have done this session later in the week. Still, it was a very effective afternoon at the gym and my quads haven’t looked this strong and ‘full’ since my full-on squat and deadlift days almost ten years ago.

Sled press (warm-up):
20x150 – pause – 20x150 – pause – 20x150

Incline press (feet low* on plate – outer knee, upper and outer quads):
20x150, 15x200, 10x250
6x300 +2

Incline press (feet high** on plate – hamstrings, glutes):
5x250 +2, 6x200 +3, 8x180 +5, 10x150 +5

15x100 (high**)
15x100 (low*)

*As you can see, I altered this a little. On the ‘high feet’ setting I decided to start removing weight from the leg press, effectively doing reverse or ‘drop’ sets right the way back to a low weight ready for the two 100kg high rep finishes.

Seated ham curl:
20x40, 15x50, 10x60
6x70 +2
15x35

Extensions:
20x40, 15x60, 10x80
10x100 +2 full stack

“Half-rep” ‘bounce’ extensions:
20x60, 15x80, 10x90
10x100 +2
15x50, 15x30
*The second part of the extensions – the ‘half-rep bounce’ are not performed all the way back with the feet but are merely a final few ‘flex’ sets to fully extend the knee quads pausing and holding whilst doing so. This manoeuvre increases the hardness of the muscles.

Lying prone ham curl:
20x25, 15x32.5, 10x40
5x47.5
15x20
*Heavier on the fourth set than I’ve managed before. This machine is also a good way to strengthen the lower back and hip flexors.

I was very tired after that session but it’s still good to see that my legs seem to be able to cope with almost anything thrown at them. The weight isn’t the issue it’s my energy levels that get the battering!

Looking at the incline press changes again, that second part ‘reverse set’ structure has given me some ideas to incorporate this routine into some of my other exercises, upper body included – so therefore my next task is to compose a new programme based on this, which I’ll be starting with my long-overdue upper body session this coming Thursday.

When I do plan that new method, I’ll also look at how to fit in all my training days so that my new jogging routine can be included too – still planned for Sundays beginning the weekend after next.

Thanks for reading
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 06:12 PM

absolutely none at the moment exercise wise, even walking the chest hurts let alone lying/sitting down
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

23-04-2019, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
absolutely none at the moment exercise wise, even walking the chest hurts let alone lying/sitting down
I'm sorry to hear this, Realspeed. If you need any advice on how to exercise areas that you are finding difficulty with, please ask. That is what we are here for bud
Keep us posted mate.

Page 280 of 370 « First < 180 230 270 278 279 280 281 282 290 330 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top