Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 11:47 AM

The Bastard Stalls!

Not sure if this is the right place for this but it does say motors and cars and this is a motor. Anyway...

I have had this generator for a few years but it doesn't get a lot of use. It is a cheap Chinese affair but it has been pretty reliable until recently. It's a 3.7Kw inverter type of generator.

The cover is off because I am convinced the problem is carburettor related. I have checked the air filter, spark, plug and all the obvious things. The servo motor (throttle) seems to respond to the computer so the only thing I can come up with is that the idler jet or perhaps main jet is clogged.

As far as I can see the only thing holding the carbi assembly on is the two bolts at the left of the pic below. So I am going to take it off and have a look at the internals of the carbi.

I wondered if any of you have come across this model before and have any practical experience of it or something similar?

The problem with them is that spare parts are almost unobtainable so if something is broken or I stuff up it will be unusable.

Fortunately I have just ordered a Chinese 2Kw unit because this one is far to heavy to be practical for travelling, I can hardly lift it, however it is handy for keeping the microwave, fridges and freezers going if there is a power outage but it will not be the end of the world if it is not repairable.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	190505 001 Fuji Micro Generator.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	9524   Click image for larger version

Name:	190505 003 Fuji Micro Generator.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	9525   Click image for larger version

Name:	190506 002 Fuji Micro Generator.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	9526  
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 12:06 PM

Re: The Bastard Stalls!

Similar problems but on a V6 Ford car engine led me to purchase, on the advice of a mechanic, an aerosol of carburettor cleaner which when squirted into the air intake cured the problem. Although originally the engine would start it only ran on one or two cylinders. This it transpires was due to the car not being used, the fuel when it dried up in the carb. formed a lacquer on the inside which when mixed with fresh fuel on trying to start the car broke up and formed blockages in the jets. The aerosol content actually dissolved the lacquer itself. Problem solved without risking stripping down the carb.

Maybe worth a try, not sure of the name of the product other than it being a carburettor cleaner.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Similar problems but on a V6 Ford car engine led me to purchase, on the advice of a mechanic, an aerosol of carburettor cleaner which when squirted into the air intake cured the problem. Although originally the engine would start it only ran on one or two cylinders. This it transpires was due to the car not being used, the fuel when it dried up in the carb. formed a lacquer on the inside which when mixed with fresh fuel on trying to start the car broke up and formed blockages in the jets. The aerosol content actually dissolved the lacquer itself. Problem solved without risking stripping down the carb.

Maybe worth a try, not sure of the name of the product other than it being a carburettor cleaner.
I am thinking that the stale fuel might be the problem but I have it up on the bench now so I might as well go ahead with dismantling it. These carbis tend to be very simple/crude devices compared to a car's but I know the product you mention and might use it to clean the parts.

In future I am going to keep unleaded petrol for my small motors rather than using E10 - I think it is a mistake to use it in engines that only have intermittent use.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 03:01 PM

Hi Brucy, l think you are on the right track with what you
you have decided to do! It sounds like a blocked, or
partially blocked pilot jet, or the little filter in the float bowl
may be clogged,
It could be cured by using the cleaning product without
stripping anything, but if you strip at least you will know
how it works next time!

Good luck, Donkeyman!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I am thinking that the stale fuel might be the problem but I have it up on the bench now so I might as well go ahead with dismantling it. These carbis tend to be very simple/crude devices compared to a car's but I know the product you mention and might use it to clean the parts.

In future I am going to keep unleaded petrol for my small motors rather than using E10 - I think it is a mistake to use it in engines that only have intermittent use.
Hopefully you have not yet dismantled it! Every year my motor mower will not start using what fuel was left in the tank. Old fuel drained, fresh new fuel put in and it starts first or second time. Unlike car engines it has just one cylinder so without other cylinders like in a car there is nothing to 'drag' the single piston up and down to make it start. It's all down to the octane figure, which decreases over time. For ten years this has been the case so not an isolated event.

Not realising you were using old, stale fuel I never gave this a thought.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 07:36 PM

You can get spares here Bruce - they ship worldwide.

https://www.generatorguru.com/f5200i/
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 08:40 PM

Looking at your photos Brucy, your machine looks brand
new and in a very clean condition so l dont think you will
find anything much wrong mechanically! Most likely to be
Just cleaning carb out!

Best Regards Donkeyman!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 08:45 PM

had the same or nearly the same with a chinese petrol powered lawn mower. had that about 10/12 years then it started hunting. First thought bad fuel so replaced with new petrol. Still same problem checked everything possible eventually had a mower mechanic look at it. Seems the control arm spring to the carb weakens after a time that governs the engine speed, hence the hunting.

In the end spent so much time decided to ditch it and got a Honda lawn mower instead.

I honestly don't thing it is worth the time and effort to try and repair chines petrol engines like this, but that is up to you
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

07-05-2019, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Hopefully you have not yet dismantled it! Every year my motor mower will not start using what fuel was left in the tank. Old fuel drained, fresh new fuel put in and it starts first or second time. Unlike car engines it has just one cylinder so without other cylinders like in a car there is nothing to 'drag' the single piston up and down to make it start. It's all down to the octane figure, which decreases over time. For ten years this has been the case so not an isolated event.

Not realising you were using old, stale fuel I never gave this a thought.
I might have misled you saying stale fuel. The fuel is not that old but I suspect it might have dried out in the carbi because the machine is not used very often, there is a drain at the bottom (front) of the carbi - visible in the pics but I never drained it, I just turned the fuel off until it ran out possibly contributing toward this problem. Remember there have been 40°C days here and it just sits in the garage.

The machine starts OK with the choke but as soon as the choke is turned off it stalls. In the clip you can see the servo trying to control it. The white lever is the choke control, fully left = full choke, fully right = no choke. The engine stalls in the half choke position as you can see but it was not fully warmed up.

BTW this machine is several years old you cannot get this model any more though the newer versions look much the same. someone suggested it looks new but it is in a case and apart from spider webs there is no reason for it to get dirty. I only use it at home though the case is a bit battered but it has given good service until this problem.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

07-05-2019, 06:10 AM

Fixed it! Not ddifficult but in future will know the easy way.

The above are a couple of shots of the carbi and air filter removed from the machine. Notice the black plastic Philips head screw.

In the last pic you can see the two jets - the main jet unscrews from the centre of the bowl (I have removed the float). The pilot/idling jet is accessible from outside the carbi. If you look carefully at the first picture you can see it sitting under the Philips head screw, that screw is the idling stop. To remove the pilot jet it is just a matter of removing the screw and levering the jet out, cleaning it and putting it back.

I use the good old faithful fuse wire for cleaning carbi jets.

It started first go and was back to its old self. Pretty pleased.

Alas not everything went smoothly. The servo has a quite stiff spring where it connects to the throttle, I assume to protect it from jamming. I knew it might fly away so I took precautions, all to no avail. Off it sprang to somewhere in my garage. I replaced it with a piece of electrical insulation cut to size which seems to work though less compressible than the spring.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000917.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	9530   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000918.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	9531   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000919.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	9532   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000921.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	9533  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top