Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 09:52 PM

Would You Give Up Your Seat To An ‘Old Bird’?

‘Nobody gave this ‘Old Bird’ a seat on the Tube’.

This is how the 70 year old singer Lulu, described herself when no one on the packed Tube gave up their seat for her to sit down.

Would you have given up your seat for her or, do you feel in this age of equality, you’re not obliged to any more?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...re_article-top
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 10:00 PM

Re: Would You Give Up Your Seat To An ‘Old Bird’?

I'm not sure I necessarily would, Art, not if she looked happy and healthy as Lulu certainly does in that photo.

If someone looked frail, or poorly, or really decrepit of course I would help them, male or female it wouldn't matter.

Why was she on a tube in the first place I wonder?
You'd have thought she'e be chauffeur driven everywhere surely?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 10:03 PM

She doesn't look 70. I reckon it's down to those who are under 50 to offer seats on the tube.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 10:13 PM

She could’ve sat on my knee.....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 10:20 PM

Is the old Bird Oven Ready.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 11:06 PM

She should be flattered nobody took her for an 'Old bird'
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I'm not sure I necessarily would, Art, not if she looked happy and healthy as Lulu certainly does in that photo.

If someone looked frail, or poorly, or really decrepit of course I would help them, male or female it wouldn't matter.

Why was she on a tube in the first place I wonder?
You'd have thought she'e be chauffeur driven everywhere surely?
My thoughts exactly Mups. She's not infirm and still tours dancing around the stage. Just because she's a "star" she cannot expect preferential treatment.

My main reason for denying her my seat though is because she is the singer of the worst, absolutely most hideous single of all time - "Shout".
Makes me puke gratiously just typing it
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 01:01 AM

The quality of Lulu's "Shout" maybe debatable (and she was only 15 at the time) but the song, written by the Isley Brothers and originally produced by Hugo and Luigi, has an excellent pedigree. Amongst dozens of others, the song has been sung by Shangri-Las, Tommy James, the Ronettes, the Trammps, the Beatles, Bon Jovi, Green Day, Bruce Springsteen, Dion, Trini Lopez, Cliff Richard, Joan Jett, Tom Petty, Alex Harvey and Bruce Springsteen.

The song is ranked #118 on Rolling Stone's list of "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time".

TBH, Lulu, in 1964, looked quite "rough" at 15 and was never my "cup of tea" but she was ambitious and persistent - she worked with some of the biggest names in the music business, including Jerry Wexler, Tom Dowd, Arif Mardin, David Bowie, Mick Ronson, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Bobby Womack and she co-wrote Tina Turner's "I Don't Wanna Fight" with Billy Lawrie and Steve DuBerry. For someone who lived with her family in a two-room tenement and who started out as a 12-year-old "band" singer, she's had a remarkably long and diverse career, so I have sneaking admiration for her .....

I would certainly have given up my seat to her or any other person in more obvious need than myself - and standing women on the Tube are frequently indecently assaulted .....
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 01:10 AM

Publicity stunt.I'm sure she would have been offended if someone had stood up.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
The quality of Lulu's "Shout" maybe debatable (and she was only 15 at the time) but the song, written by the Isley Brothers and originally produced by Hugo and Luigi, has an excellent pedigree. Amongst dozens of others, the song has been sung by Shangri-Las, Tommy James, the Ronettes, the Trammps, the Beatles, Bon Jovi, Green Day, Bruce Springsteen, Dion, Trini Lopez, Cliff Richard, Joan Jett, Tom Petty, Alex Harvey and Bruce Springsteen.

The song is ranked #118 on Rolling Stone's list of "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time".

TBH, Lulu, in 1964, looked quite "rough" at 15 and was never my "cup of tea" but she was ambitious and persistent - she worked with some of the biggest names in the music business, including Jerry Wexler, Tom Dowd, Arif Mardin, David Bowie, Mick Ronson, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Bobby Womack and she co-wrote Tina Turner's "I Don't Wanna Fight" with Billy Lawrie and Steve DuBerry. For someone who lived with her family in a two-room tenement and who started out as a 12-year-old "band" singer, she's had a remarkably long and diverse career, so I have sneaking admiration for her .....

I would certainly have given up my seat to her or any other person in more obvious need than myself - and standing women on the Tube are frequently indecently assaulted .....
Well researched, Omar. All off the top of your head as usual of course. Thank God for Wikipedia, did I hear you say? I prefer quoting my own musical knowledge. Far more honest
I have many versions of 'Shout' in my collection. It's only Lulu's I can't stand. Werrrrr-errr-errrr-err-er-er...like a badly maintained moped revving up!
Love her 'To Sir With Love' though. Great song.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top