Join for free
Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Cache
East Anglia
Cache is female  Cache has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2019, 09:13 PM

Re: Olive oil

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Yep you definitely shouldn't cook with extra virgin olive oil.

See earlier posts in this thread regarding smoke points.

Cooking with it may create carcinogenic compounds.

Also worth people noting that a lot of Olive Oil is actually cut with regular vegetable oil to boost profit. Illegal of course but it's rife.
I didn't know that!!! I'll look back and read. Thanks for the advice.
Cache
East Anglia
Cache is female  Cache has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2019, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Just for info

Smoke points of the different oils

For high heat cooking/frying you really need to be selecting an oil with smoke point of 240 deg C or higher, otherwise you risk creating carcinogenic substances with the oil.

I generally use Rice Bran oil for all such cooking. I use coconut oil for baking muffins and the like.

I will save this image to my phone. Very useful information.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2019, 09:32 PM

I don't cook with olive oil - but use it a lot in making salad dressings and medicines.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 12:50 PM

If you shouldn't cook with Olive Oil then why do you often see tv chefs using it?
And what's the difference between Olive Oil and Extra Virgin Olive Oil?
And is Sainsburys Vegetable Oil (which according to the label is Rapeseed Oil) ok to cook with?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 02:30 PM

I don't use olive oil but instead use rapeseed oil (cold-pressed). This was on the advice of a nutritionist who also advised against heat-extracted rapeseed oil as that process can cause an adverse chemical reaction which is not good. Research has shown that the heat treatment of seeds increased the content of phosphorus.

The website on the link below I found interesting as it shows the process used for cold-pressed treatment to produce rapeseed oil:

https://hillfarmoils.com/about/what-we-make/

Note that I have no connection to the company featured, I just found it interesting so thought others might also find the same.
Cache
East Anglia

18-05-2019, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I don't use olive oil but instead use rapeseed oil (cold-pressed). This was on the advice of a nutritionist who also advised against heat-extracted rapeseed oil as that process can cause an adverse chemical reaction which is not good. Research has shown that the heat treatment of seeds increased the content of phosphorus.

The website on the link below I found interesting as it shows the process used for cold-pressed treatment to produce rapeseed oil:

https://hillfarmoils.com/about/what-we-make/

Note that I have no connection to the company featured, I just found it interesting so thought others might also find the same.
I have saved the link, thanks
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cache ->
I have saved the link, thanks
An East Anglian neighbour possibly? From a Cambridgeshire resident – you are welcome!
Cache
East Anglia

18-05-2019, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
An East Anglian neighbour possibly? From a Cambridgeshire resident – you are welcome!
Yes, Norfolk, and thanks again
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
If you shouldn't cook with Olive Oil then why do you often see tv chefs using it?
And is Sainsburys Vegetable Oil (which according to the label is Rapeseed Oil) ok to cook with?
Valid questions ruthio.

heating, burning olive oil kills the flavour and nutritional values.

good question because I've never seen Olive Oil that wasn't of the Extra Virgin variety.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
TV cookery is no substitute for proper research. Bottom line is the virgin/cold pressed oils are NOT for cooking with and can produce carcinogens if you do. They are for eating raw, as dressing on salads or dips etc.

For cooking/frying you need oils with high smoke points as per the chart I posted earlier in the thread.

Another good article here:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyl...rying-pan.html

Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top