Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2019, 10:09 AM

Re: Can my Aloe be helped?

Mups when I water it I take it out of the double pot & let the water drain off before I put it back. I also have a layer of gravel in the bottom of the pot to keep it dry. It seems to be doing alright..

I'll take your advice about the babies. Thanks.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Aww Bruce, I am going to report you for cruelty to Aloes.
I'm afraid I will also have to confiscate them immedeiately

I always think anything we plant in a pot/tub is at our mercy.
They are unable to spread their roots further afield to search for food and water, so we have to supply it for them.

Once they have used up all the nourishment in such a small area that's their lot unless we give them fresh new compost, food and water.

It's much like keeping an animal in a cage with the same dirty old bedding and no food, to me.
All is well, I heard it screaming so I planted the one in the pot out anyway but it is now at the mercy of the gods. Hasn't rained for weeks but I watered it in well. The one near the letter box is on its own still.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
All is well, I heard it screaming so I planted the one in the pot out anyway but it is now at the mercy of the gods. Hasn't rained for weeks but I watered it in well. The one near the letter box is on its own still.

Yes, I heard it screaming from here too, Bruce.

Well done, and hope they pick up again soon.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It looks like it has root rot carol, one of mine had it and I was advised to repot it in new compost as the rot is in the compost. So new pot new compost and try to give the roots a bit more room by using a larger a pot than currently.
Don't water it for a couple of weeks after repotting let it dry out a bit.
I agree 100%. Too much water.
These plants need to dry out well before watering. Overwatering will cause root rot which needs to be dealt with.
I’d dig this up, rinse the soil off the roots and cut off any slimy rotting root parts and then transplant it. It’s worth saving but will take a bit of work and TLC.

Best of luck
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, I mostly keep mine for use on the wretched insect bites I get every summer,or for any occasional burns.
I've also used it on the dogs skin if they have a sore patch for any reason.

I drink Aloe juice every day too, but not from my own plants, I buy it ready made.
They do look great Mups. Aloe is so versatile a plant and is most healing. It is great for insect bites or stings , various skin problems, to help tame frizzy curls and settle upset stomachs.
It’s one great medicinal plant !

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top