Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 09:14 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

I think that says it all for satin sheets Solo, anyway you survived the ordeal.

Of course I never actually got to the satin sheets stage, a fully covered roll in the hay in farmer Quinn’s barn was about all one could hope for back then, like the fruit dealers in Moore Street used to say if you manually inspected the apples or pears “Don’t touch the fruit unless you’re buying” all the girls would say was “Don’t squeeze me till I’m yours” in other words march her up the aisle first.
But who could blame them, they had respect for themselves and that’s always a good thing, today it’s anything goes anywhere, is that a good thing or a bad thing?, only time will tell.

My old Dad used to sing this when he had a few on him, here’s everyone having a go at it, young and old one big happy gang.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 10:51 PM

The vocalist don't look that chuffed.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 10:53 PM

Sombre folks to the left, game bird to the right.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

19-08-2019, 10:54 PM

Preconceptions, who needs um.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
The vocalist don't look that chuffed.
Now in his late eighties he probably creaks a bit but he's a legend spitty.

solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 01:52 PM

It looks like the Health nannies want to ban our sweets of old to sort out this obesity problem.

Although I dont have an overly active sweet tooth I do enjoy the occasional old fashioned sherbert lemon, black jack or Bon bon and I would still sell my soul for Colstfoot rock or a proper walnut whip..

I can't remember anyone banging on about obesity when if we were lucky to get a few coppers we went into our local sweetshop where we could take as long as we liked taking great care to get the most we could get for our money. There was a real art to sweetie shopping. We knew those huge glass jars held the nectar of the god so we viewed the contents with awe and respect.

We had the usual teeth warnings from our parents but the amount we ate then is nothing compared to what is guzzled today and there lies the problem. Moderation seems to have gone out of the window.

Those Health nannies are missing the obvious point that we did not have much money to spend on sweets so obesity was something that never came into our thinking and thats what they need to sort out now....so keep yer hands off our old fashioned sweets.

Anyone for an aniseed ball
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 04:04 PM

I love the opening lines in that old song (Courting in the kitchen)
“Come single belle and beau, to me now pay attention
Don't ever fall in love, it's the devil's own invention”
Wiser words were never spoken.

I have to admit to having a sweet tooth myself, so there’a a lethal concoction if ever there was one, sugar, nicotine, and alcohol, according to the experts I should be dead long ago, fact is I never felt healthier in me life, experts me arse.
As a kid my favourites were, Bulls eyes, Sailors chew toffee, liquorice assorts, Sugar barley sticks, and the black menthol tasting toffee, Couch-no-more, with a Woodbine in one hand and a bar of Cough-no-more in the other I’d be as happy as Larry.
I’d say most of those are no longer available, why make “Cough-no-more” when nobody’s allowed smoke-no-more.
Today I’m content with the odd bag of Werther’s original and a couple of Kit Kats, I do love my Kit Kat coffee breaks, how’s this for a new short Kit Kat ad.
The king is seated on his throne looking very bored, his jester asks him would he like a Kit Kat, the king sits up straight and says in a stern voice “Yes why not, and make it snappy”
Kit Kat-break-snappy, get it? Aw Christ, it’s worse he’s getting’ in his old age.

solo
UK

21-08-2019, 11:29 AM

Your cough no more sounds like our cough candy which you can still buy. Bit sugary but very yummy.

Whist sitting on the pier yesterday enjoying a 99 ice cream and watching the world, the visitors and seagulls go by it was interesting to note just how clever our flying feathered brain boxes are.

We locals take no prisoners with them and one steely look into a seagulls eyes ..or beak depending on yer eye sight...lets em know just who is the bosss in these ere parts. A "don't mess with me look" gives it to them straight.

Not so with visitors who fall for every trick in a seagull repertoire. Apart from the obvious Top Gun dive attack which incidentally shows a lack of finesse and artistic ability they are masters at limping, wing trailing and the dying swan neck all for sympathy feeding. But the best is the cute appeal...put the starving chick in front ..then grab whatever the visitors throw for him..... works everytime.

No point in moaning about them either just because they are brainier than you. They have just learnt how to play the game very well.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

21-08-2019, 09:18 PM

It always makes me smile when people use the words “Bird brain” to describe a stupid person, birds are so clever when you consider the size of their brains in compassion to ours, indeed I know some big brain heads who couldn’t hold a candle to birds as regards intelligence.
Phyllis is always looking out the kitchen window at the birds, she hangs a container thing from the washing line filled with balls of compressed stuff and whatever the stuff is made from the birds love it, the logic behind hanging it high on the line is that the bigger birds can’t balance on it therefore giving the smaller birds a chance to grub up, she’d spend all day looking at them if she could.
Now seagulls, they scare me, far too brazen for my liking, thankfully there hasn’t been too many around here this year.

Is it true that if you sprinkle salt on a birds tail it can’t fly? and if you pull a goldfish backwards in a fish bowl it drowns?

I used to like these Byrds, they’re a bit long in the tail now though, but aren’t we all says you.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

21-08-2019, 10:10 PM

Birds are just like humans, they spend a good deal of the day just Winging it.

Then there are "Birds", lets not go there.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top