Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 02:07 PM

Re: A Ban on Bees

Bees are an essential element for gardens. Perhaps it's the gardeners who are disturbing the bees!
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It is the number of them though Nom, I am sure in 18 months if we had just had local bees wandering around I wouldn't have been stung 20 times.

I can see Julie's point here, the bees which would be present if people on allotments had hives there would obviously be much greater than the bees flying around generally.

The allotments are next to each other and yes there would be loads of complaints about people getting stung, making for a whole lot of trouble between the allotment holders.

I love bees and think that more people should keep them but I think its a sensible precaution in this situation.
It's nothing to do with banning bees generally.
Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 03:07 PM

I'm a member of the Bumblebee Preservation Society and perhaps the local beekeepers society or similar can offer advice. There could be a reason why bees are stinging so much I don't know if it will help much but there is some information here
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 03:38 PM

Never ever been stung by a bee, wasps yes. There are over 200 species of bee in the UK, sounds like officialdom gone mad. I have some sympathy for those allergic too bee stings so can understand not wanting a hive nearby.

Do wonder if some one at the allotments has real cause or if just another nimby.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 04:16 PM

Normally bees are quite happy to co-exist with gardeners/allotment keepers and go on with their own tasks of pollinating and/or honey making. They do not sting just for the sake of it - unlike wasps - but only when/if they are threatened. I have bumble bees living in my garage every year - they are lovely, friendly, little creatures.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Normally bees are quite happy to co-exist with gardeners/allotment keepers and go on with their own tasks of pollinating and/or honey making. They do not sting just for the sake of it - unlike wasps - but only when/if they are threatened. I have bumble bees living in my garage every year - they are lovely, friendly, little creatures.
I agree with you on them being friendly little creatures when my son was about 5yr he would let then settle on his hand and then he would stroke them they would fall a sleep each time..He never ever got stung
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 04:24 PM

Bumble bees love to be stroked.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 04:25 PM

And wasps are beneficial -they do no end of good in the garden. Alas when autumn comes they seem to get pissed and go on the rampage.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

Bumble bees and honey bees which are kept in hives are different.
Bumble bees don't make surplus honey so only the honey bee is kept in hives.
The sting of the two types is different too. A bumble bee doesn't leave it's sting behind but the honey bee does.

I love all kinds of bees and some are under threat so need to be cared for as they are essential for pollination, the more people who keep honey bees the better, the allotment thing may be because some people can have a severe or even life threatening reaction to a sting.
It's how it is, but a shame really.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 11:02 PM

I admit I'm a bit nervous of getting stung myself, I react badly enough to gnat bites, let alone a bee sting. Touch wood I have never been stung, even though I had a nest under my shed last summer. Every time I was hanging my washing out, I seemed in the flight path!
I still believe we need to try and save the bees though. It's more wasps I can't stand, 'orrible little blighters, I couldn't be shut in a room with one.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top