Join for free
Page 293 of 370 « First < 193 243 283 291 292 293 294 295 303 343 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2019, 11:53 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Cache ->
Wow, all these wonderful exercise routines are making me feel even more unfit. I posted in the other thread for inspiration (as have been recovering from a couple of injuries), but I can't go running and that's what I enjoy best.
I think I'll get out in the garden today, as that's at least some form of exercise. I'll keep looking in for some sort of inspiration.
Welcome from me too Cache, you'll be quite at home in here if you like running.. But there's something for everyone.....Don't be a stranger.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2019, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
These posts are too good to speed through with a hasty response. I've had a marathon day and will write in the morning.

Good thoughts for healing, LQ! We miss you.

Welcome back, Floydy!
Foxy's in need of some encouragement Surfermom, what can you do for him?.....
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2019, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Tachyon - You're doing astoundingly well bud. More and more reps which is obviously your particular training style of enjoyment. It's your obvious forte and you should keep this going. Great also that you are adding more weight too but just a tip if I may...
You know when you come to the end of a set - why not try and then carry on with about 5 very slow reps? This actually "seals" the muscle in place and builds strength more effectively than banging out millions of lighter reps. Give it a go if you get chance, it's a winner (see a typical current routine of mine for examples). No nitpicking from me though, you're really on a winning streak!
A very nice tip, Floydy, and I shall put it into practice when I next go on Tuesday. I think that was just the advice I needed as I was feeling I need to get the strength up now I appear to have stamina and breathing sorted. Thanks!
Tachyon
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2019, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cache ->
Wow, all these wonderful exercise routines are making me feel even more unfit. I posted in the other thread for inspiration (as have been recovering from a couple of injuries), but I can't go running and that's what I enjoy best.
I think I'll get out in the garden today, as that's at least some form of exercise. I'll keep looking in for some sort of inspiration.
Nice to meet you Cache.

The garden sounds good - all exercise pays dividends. It's a shame your injuries are restricting your mobility, as when you can't really get to anywhere your options are a bit restricted. Your ankles would make it difficult to get to a swimming pool, for example, which is a shame.

Have you been given a time frame for the ankles healing?
Tachyon

19-05-2019, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I m devastated as I am unable to do any exercise because my knee is dreadfully painful and I can't even swim as I can't do the bending leg motion.
Oh dear, Lion Queen. Is it an injury or is the knee a chronic condition? When my knees were wrecked I felt trapped in my home and even when I did manage to totter along the street to try and keep moving it didn't really help. My morale was a bit crushed because I could only manage 100 to 200 yards before calling it a day due to the pain.

Fingers crossed your knee gets better soon.
Cache
East Anglia
Cache is female  Cache has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2019, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Nice to meet you Cache.

The garden sounds good - all exercise pays dividends. It's a shame your injuries are restricting your mobility, as when you can't really get to anywhere your options are a bit restricted. Your ankles would make it difficult to get to a swimming pool, for example, which is a shame.

Have you been given a time frame for the ankles healing?
I can walk on them, it's just very painful, so am having to minimise how far I go. Im trying to minimise painkillers as they make me sleepy, which is ok at night, but not during the day. A day in the city, and a walk earlier means a couple of days recovering currently.
It's just one of those things, but frustrating. I'm going to buy a couple of athletic injury supports. I did have a boot, but its past the time for wearing one.
Hopefully they'll help support whilst they're healing.
I have a couple of exercise dvds but they're every cardio based. I used to do them before a run.
I think the best thing to do is to concentrate on what I can do. Going to get a skip next week and get going on some house projects!
Cache
East Anglia
Cache is female  Cache has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2019, 01:45 PM

Thanks to everyone for being so welcoming!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2019, 03:22 PM

I can't keep up with things in here at the moment, it's so well attended with you all detailing your why and wherefores about your exercise plans (or lack of them unfortunately).

Bob - Great run again this morning from my eyes reading anyway. We all know when we can do better, so we improve on things next time we're out.

Sunday 6/5/19: Legs. 1hr.10mins.

A quick turnaround today from my last workout of yesterday afternoon, which always turns out to be a bit gruelling in the energy-sapping department and to cap it all I really went for the heavy stuff. I’m Sorry but there’s just no turning away from the strength stuff, it’s what I’ve always done. I reckon that until I have a serious injury and snap my legs in half or simply just keel over in a quivering mess, I’ll always want to push myself harder. Then again, that’s what we all do isn’t it? It’s all about goals and targets. There’s no point in dawdling along without any effort – that’s utterly pointless and a waste of time.

Getting back to my training session, and it was brutally hard work, but somehow cruelly enjoyable to see me torturing myself to the limit. Same format as before but with more extra pauses added to build more strength. Gotta be done.

(All weights in kgs)

Incline press 1:
Feet low on plate -
20x150
12x220 +4
6x300 +3, +3, +3
4x350 +2
*The heaviest I’ve lifted on the leg press for six years (the heaviest I ever went was 430kgs - with 32" thighs to match - when I was in my mid-40’s), I should really curtail the weight at that tbh and be happy with things. It’s the knees I need to watch, even though they are now feeling right as rain once more without any twinges.

Incline press 2:
Feet high on plate (reverse sets)–
8x250 +3, +2
6x200 +2, +2
12x150 +3, +3
20x120 +5

Seated ham curl:
20x40, 12x50
6x70 +2, +2
25x35 +12

Sled press (alternating feet positions):
20x150, 12x180
6x200 +2, +2, +2
12x140 +5

I omitted the calf press today because last week I had some real pain on the top of my feet below the toes because my toes were too low on the plate. Next time I do these the weight will be lower with more reps instead.

Extensions:
20x50, 12x80
6x100 +2, +2, +1
20x50 +4

Lying (prone) ham curl:
20x25, 12x32.5
5x40 +1
20x20 +6

Adductor:
20x50, 12x55
10x60 +3, +3
20x40 +12

Abductor:
20x50, 12x55
12x60 +3, +2
20x40 +6

Ab crunch:
60x30
*Six months since I did any ab crunches. Other exercises such as tricep pulldowns work those okay tbh, though it’s getting towards the summer and I may have to show my midriff on occasion lol!

I’ll do an upper body top-up during the week, though I’m looking at a revised routine for all my training to begin as soon as I have time to draw up a template. That will include more in the way of lighter weights but with more sets (I just have to watch the length of time it all takes, that's my problem).

Thanks for reading.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2019, 03:49 PM

Hi

Nothing like the Gym for me today, I simply cannot keep up with floydy and I have not been able to run since 1989.

I am pleased however with what I have done.

A walk of 900 metres there and back first thing.

Then moving 16 25 Kilo bags from front to back and laying them.

Baby steps I know, but the feel good factor is great.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2019, 04:15 PM

Hello, Cache! You will be most welcomed here. Many of us go through cycles of injury or other factors that keep us away, but I think I can speak for everyone that just reading through others’ posts is like carrot before the rabbit. We keep each other motivated, encouraged, and buoyant. Though I don’t know what your injury is, you seem to be putting a lot of thought into your recovery. How much icing and elevation are you doing?

LQ, have you had your knees thoroughly checked out? What does your knee feel like when you try to bend it? Tight? Overall aching motion or shots of lightning-like pain? I am really sorry you are having this setback. How about buying some small hand weights so you can work on your arms while you heal?

Tachyon, you are one of the people here who is truly inspiring to others. I join Floydy in cheering for the number of reps you are building. Please pass some of that calorie burn, would you? Swimsuit season is coming!

Floydy, I have to agree with OGF at being amazed at the vigor in which you returned to your hiatus. He’s right; recovering from running can sometimes be like everyone’s first day, and it’s a mental as well as physical trial for a few weeks. I imagine that you both dreaded and looked forward to that first day back, and I am proud of you for getting back on the horse.

I remember after meniscus surgery a few years back resulted in a two month hiatus. That first day, heart in my throat, I rode my bike deep into a forested trail where no one could see me. Setting my sights my eye on an old oak, heavy with Spanish moss a tenth of a mile away, I remember how my heart was pounding as I leaned the bike against a tree. My doctor had told me that should not, and probably could not run again, but I wanted to see for myself. At a pitiful snail’s pace I put one gingerly foot in front of the other. Although I was stiff, I was able to move…I made it a yard, then two, and in what seemed like forever, I remember reaching out and touching the bark of my old friend. I don’t every think I have been more proud of an accomplishment in my life, which is why I have such a great admiration for anyone who is starting over. It's a hard-won battle every time.

Page 293 of 370 « First < 193 243 283 291 292 293 294 295 303 343 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top