Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 09:30 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Great stuff folks, great to see you all back to abnormal again.

These was an old chap being interviewed on TV this morning, it was his 100th birthday and I must say the old fella looked terrific for his age, his speech was clear and steady and he had a fine head of white hair cut in the Tony Curtis style complete with DA at the back (he proudly turned his head to show it off), he looked like a fresh 70 year old, needless to say the interviewer asked him the usual standard questions, what do you eat, do you exercise regularly etc., then lastly he asked him did he ever smoke or drink “Oh indeed I did, smoked and drank all me life but I had to give it up, the smokin’ an drinkin’ was killing’ me altogether” When did you give it up Freddy?” “Oh let me see…about six or seven weeks ago”
I had to laugh.
Now that’s what I call having your cake, eating it, and getting away with it, good on ya Freddy!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
The older I become, the more I am able to relate events of yesteryear with life today.
My Nan for example. Us kids wouldn’t ever ask of a drink because all her crockery and cutlery was not clean and her glass tumblers were often in use as a receptacle for dentures.
I even in later years teased a story out of this.
I’d say that I have had a terrible pain in my jaw for the last week, only relieved when I realised I was wearing nurse Gillian’s dentures. Easily done when you keep them all in the same glass tumbler.
Zap, forward 65 years to 2019 & we have our youngest 2 granddaughters for tea.
“Granddad, this spoon is dirty “
Actual ly, they belonged to our grandparents and were just old and worn. They are probably one hundred years old.
I began to ponder on how I became old, & like my nan, could not be bothered with trivia.

I pottered in my daughter’s garden this afternoon, pruning, weeding, and talking to the plants.
I was and am a great gardener; it is one thing that I excel at, without trying.
I KNOW what to do, I don’t have to look up plant names, or anything else, After being schooled in horticulture I pondered today on how I became a great gardener....
It was my Nan of course; she did not have books or Monty Don she mixed vet, fruit and flowers using every space just like modern practise. We were sent out on the road to collect the steaming hot dung left by the milk mans horse, to put on her roses and runner beans.
I’m tired
Bear with me; I will come to my point later chums

I am waiting for you to rotate.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 10:11 PM

Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 11:24 PM

"Zap, forward 65 years to 2019 & we have our youngest 2 granddaughters for tea."
Grilled or baked?
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2019, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
"Zap, forward 65 years to 2019 & we have our youngest 2 granddaughters for tea."
Grilled or baked?
YES! [and a squidge of the sauce bottle,natch]
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2019, 07:19 AM

Thank You tweedledum & Tweedledee. Bamber wants to know if you conferred on this one.

Seriously I feel chuffed, though, that 2 of our greatest wordsmiths must have actually read my blatherings to be able to extract the urine, so effortlessly.
I take off my hat to you..............

Decisions, decisions,

Fedora, Bowler, Panama, which shall it be ?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

15-05-2019, 07:32 AM

Australian Corked!!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2019, 08:25 AM

Superb song Solsbury hill spits, scuse so many ssssss's
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2019, 08:33 AM

Robert as I am a very lucky 'grow or die' gardener your latest offering has me clutching my secateurs in anticipation as gardening tips are worth their weight in any type of manure.

You have brought this to mind though..

Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2019, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Robert as I am a very lucky 'grow or die' gardener your latest offering has me clutching my secateurs in anticipation as gardening tips are worth their weight in any type of manure.

You have brought this to mind though..

Some tips for SOLO, in no particular order.

*Save seed heads from plants, keep them in brown paper bags to dry.
*Golden rule, prune AFTER flowering, in all cases.
*Remember, A weed is just a plant growing in the wrong place.
*Pot up self sown seedlings for Village Fayres & fund raising.
*Stop to smell the roses.
*ALWAYS sow runner beans on May 8th.
*Try something new.I am trialling with my eldest daughter Nicotiana Sylvestris & Cleome in flowers and salsify and scorzonera in veggies.

This list seemed like a good idea but now I’ve finished for now, it reads a little patronising. NOT my intent.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top