Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 02:45 PM

Could living abroad be achieved financially?

Talking to a work colleague last night whose retired father had decided to sell his house, uproot and move to Spain to live the rest of his life.

Last year when I was on holiday in Tenerife I came across a small bar which was run by an ex-pat and the bar was seemingly full of these chaps in their 60's-70's enjoying their lives in the sun. Apart from odd visits back to the UK, they said they had never looked back.

This got me thinking that maybe someday, if I was in the same position, I would probably love to join this kind of lifestyle. Has anyone done this? Is it expensive? What sort of property does one live in? And how do you manage financially?
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 02:50 PM

Re: Could living abroad be achieved financially?

We were much younger whenwe moved so we dont count but I know people who moved here later in life and bought a larger house and offered B&B in the Dutch countryside but with an English twist.

I also know of a couple of people who have opened 'English tea houses'serving earl grey and scones to people who lap it up at 20euro a pop!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 04:25 PM

I always wanted to live abroad in later life but don't want to do it alone . I know couples who do and love it , I'm quite envious really . Warmer weather , nicer lifestyle . I have been told that since the Brexit vote the pensions are worth less though .
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 04:39 PM

We lived in France for a trial period a few years back, yes we found it more
expensive but the houses are cheaper but often a bit run down and it's not cheap to fix them up.
I have two friends who lived abroad for several years but they and their husbands are back in the UK now.
The other man's grass and all that?!
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 04:44 PM

We have relatives who retired to northern France and apart from food (most of which they grow or buy on their trips back to the UK), it is very cheap to live there. One example is council tax, they pay less than £200 per annum. Motor insurance is more expensive but they pay no road tax. Gas and electric similar to the UK. They get all our TV channels but pay no licence fee. They have a good life out there.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Talking to a work colleague last night whose retired father had decided to sell his house, uproot and move to Spain to live the rest of his life.

Last year when I was on holiday in Tenerife I came across a small bar which was run by an ex-pat and the bar was seemingly full of these chaps in their 60's-70's enjoying their lives in the sun. Apart from odd visits back to the UK, they said they had never looked back.

This got me thinking that maybe someday, if I was in the same position, I would probably love to join this kind of lifestyle. Has anyone done this? Is it expensive? What sort of property does one live in? And how do you manage financially?
If you are retired and have an income you could buy a place and live cheaper and more healthily than in the uk .
At the moment the health care is free but with Brexit this may change .
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 08:46 PM

The Canaries are cheaper than mainland Spain.

Property prices are low and now is a good time to buy.

I personally think there's no comparison. ...I'd be there tomorrow if I could.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2017, 06:49 AM

Hi

A difficult decision to make for retirees with Brexit looming.

If your Pension is paid in the UK, it is already worth less abroad due to the fall in the £.

We also have reciprocal tax Agreements for certain Pensions in the EU, so they are taxed in the UK.

If these are not maintained they could be taxed in the Country you are living.

The other thing is that at the moment we have free movement.

After Brexit we are restricting free movement from the EU, they will respond in kind.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2017, 06:55 AM

People have always retired overseas though even before the EU
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2017, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
People have always retired overseas though even before the EU
Hi

Yes, but that was decades ago, times and finances have changed.

If you are rich enough you will always be able to retire abroad.

Expats in the EU currently have their Pensions increased every year, but not in Non EU Countries.

No guarantee this will continue.

Expats may well have to pay Health Insurance in the EU.

Expat Pensioners have already seen their income cut due to the fall in the £.

A lot will also depend on Residency Rights as well.

The UK is insisting on an 85 page application form, which is a nightmare.

The EU may well reciprocate.

It is all a bit of a nightmare at the moment.

The only certainty is this.

Whatever restrictions the UK puts on EU Citizens moving to the UK, the EU will do exactly the same on UK Citizens moving to the EU.

All is not lost however, just very uncertain at the moment.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top