Join for free
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 02:07 PM

Dried wood oil

This might seem a bit trivial, but it's annoying nevertheless

I make knives, and treat the wooden handles with Danish Oil, and Liberon's own brand wood oil
The cans for both types have screw on caps

For the Danish oil the oil keeps drying around the threads, even if I think I've wiped it clean
The cap is a fiddly and irritating tamper proof cap, and it's real hard work to undo it. In fact I think it's so seized now that the outer part of the cap turns, but will not engage with the inner, so it's all but permanently fixed on

For the Liberon oil the plastic cap has split, so the oil inside keeps forming a skin, and would probably build up to the point where it's all solid

I've tried transferring the oils to an old jam jar, but the cap doesn't appear to form a decent seal, and that too dries up

Any suggestions for a decent container I can keep the oil in?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 02:28 PM

Re: Dried wood oil

How about using a Kilner Jar? These are used for preserving and have a rubber seal to keep the air out. They are available in various sizes either with a screw top lid or one with clip to close it. No practical experience of these myself but at a guess would probably solve the problem of a jar with a lid that did not seal. These are available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/slp/large-k...edtdb4zxb5g666
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
The cap is a fiddly and irritating tamper proof cap, and it's real hard work to undo it.
The first thing I do with any 'tamper proof' cap is take a utility knife and make two or three cuts down the sides, you can then twist the 'outer' bits off and remove the inner cap and use that just on it's own. Easy to grip and prevents the stupid 'tamper proof' outer from gumming up. Of course most are plastic, you can't do this if it's a metal cap

As for a new container, how about one of those glass bottles that 'White Spirit' is often sold in ? They often have a metal cap which seals quite well.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 06:33 AM

Thanks for your comments, and any more suggestions are welcome

For a while I've been on the lookout for a bottle of white spirit, meths, or something like that with a decent cap so I can use the empty bottle for my oil. I would transfer the contents to another jar or bottle
But so far they all seem to be plastic with tamper proof caps

I'd thought of using an empty whisky bottle, in which case I would transfer the contents to a suitable fleshy container, but their caps have fairly fine threads and I think they might gum up too
Perhaps I'll look out for a glass bottle of decent olive oil and try that

however, I bumped into a friend who does wood turning, and he made a useful suggestion
He does all his work in a shed, and doesn't have much of a problem with his bottles of wood oil drying out
But I live in a first floor flat and do my carving in my spare room which is centrally heated, and he suggests keeping my oil somewhere cooler
Downstairs there is the meter & utility cupboard which is the size of a wardrobe.
I keep my fruit & vegetables in there, and I'm sure I can find room for a couple of cans of oil

He also suggests adding a small amount of white spirit to the oil, so at least there would be more to evaporate before it hardened

I've been Surfing t'Net and YouTube for advice and one tip is to store cans upside down (or inverted, to use the correct technical Sunday Posh word)
This makes it much less likely for contents like paint & finishes to dry out
I've known about that for years, but haven't needed to do it till now, so I'll start
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 12:13 PM

Yes, good idea Zulu. Storing paint upside down is also a good idea although I have never had the courage to try it. I use Danish oil on some furniture and a similar oil on my oak flooring but I also find that the caps get welded on tight. I have resorted to using mole grips on them in the past. They are kept outside in a cold shed so I don't think the temperature will make much difference.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
How about using a Kilner Jar? These are used for preserving and have a rubber seal to keep the air out. They are available in various sizes either with a screw top lid or one with clip to close it. No practical experience of these myself but at a guess would probably solve the problem of a jar with a lid that did not seal. These are available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/slp/large-k...edtdb4zxb5g666
Yes. We are woodworkers and woodcarvers and use danish oils and other such finishes. Kilner jars here are called mason jars and we use those also. I really like danish oil for a finish. We just finished our stairs in solid maple and used danish oil as a finish. It really brings out the grains and natural patterns in the wood while sealing and preserving it.

Good luck
zuludog
N E Lancashire

06-05-2019, 01:33 PM

Well, rightly or wrongly, this is what I've done

Like most people with this sort of hobby I have a collection of old jars
I've pierced the cans as the caps were so difficult, and transferred the oil to jam jars which I'm storing upside down in my cool cupboard

I've noticed that linseed oil doesn't form a skin, but I prefer the finish of danish oil to linseed
So I've made up my own mixture; about 3/4 danish oil plus about 1/4 linseed oil to which I've added a splash of white spirit

I've tried it on a piece of scrap and it looks OK, so I'll see how I go on with that

Thanks for all your advice
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 01:44 PM

Is it just me or does Danish Oil smell fantastic?
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 03:50 AM

I like the smell of danish oil
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

07-05-2019, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by bratti ->
i like the smell of danish oil

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top