Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 04:18 PM

My trip to the NHS.

Hi

We have heard from ST and the Thing

Saturday lunchtime I finished my Antibiotics, Sunday evening things had flared up again badly.

I did as told by the hospital and rang for an ambulance.

Explained everything and read out the instructions from my discharge letter.

The 999 operator was miles away, where? she asked.

Shrewsbury is not that small is it?

She then had to check.

We are busy, we have to prioritise, it will be about an hour.

An hour passed, then 2 Paramedics arrived, in an estate car.

In they came, looked at the problem, showed them the discharge letter, took some obs, you need to go in now, we will get you an ambulance.

The pair of them stayed with me, kept ringing but it was an hour and twenty minutes before an ambulance arrived.

Twenty five minutes to the Hospital.

The unloading area was packed with Emergency Ambulances .
Unloaded on the trolley then into the Hospital.

There is a new system called the Pit Stop.

This is where patients are logged in and the ambulance crew released to go back on duty.

There was a queue to get into the Pit Stop.

Seven patients in front of us on trollies, each one with the ambulance staff with them.

Lined up in the corridor, we moved forward in the line, one by one.

Then eventually into the Pit Stop.

Not the end of the line, six bays, patients still on ambulance trollies, five in front.

Important to remember, these were urgent, not Minors, broken bones etc went into a separate system.

Our Turn, slid across from ambulance trolley to hospital trolley.

Ambulance staff still had to stay there for 10 minutes to do handover.

Two Nurses in the Pit Stop, both Foreign, knew their stuff.

Triaged, oral morphene and other stuff, attached to a minitor.

I was in there for around 40 minutes then movement.

Into Casualty?

Nope, into a corridor to wait my turn.

After some hours, I joke not, eventually moved onto a trolley into an acute room in the Actual Casualty Department.

Two foreign agency nurses, based in London, working in Shrewsbury short term, being put up in a B&B.

More morphine.

Told I was now in Casualty proper, but a 5 to 8 hour wait to see a Doctor.

I was actually seen after 4 hours, scans and tests organised then on a wait for a bed.

It took from 9pm Sunday evening until I finally got a proper bed on a Ward at 11.30 Monday morning.

To be fair, then things did take off, saw 3 Consultants within 2 hours, all tests done, loads of medication and drips.

Released lunchtime today, 2 weeks worth of medication, then back for a checkup.

Our NHS is a mess.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 04:42 PM

Re: My trip to the NHS.

Get rid of illegal immigrants and fast turnaround of so called asylum seekers and so called asylum seekers once refused and end foreign aid.

Millions fewer people predating on us and in addition save FOURTEEN BILLION POUNDS of our taxes being sent overseas and MILLIONS OF PEOPLE retuned overseas.

It's hardly rocket science.

Tax relief on private medicine insurance and treatment would also help.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 04:46 PM

Ours may be a bit better.
My dear wife had to have several blood tests and an X-ray.
We were in and out, all done in about 40 minutes.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 06:24 PM

Oh how terrible for you, but unfortuneatly that's what its like now in the NHS. I do hope you recover well Tabs.

Thank you Swimmers for letting us know.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 06:36 PM

What a nightmare Swimmy the last thing you need when you feel ill . I hope you are feeling better now

Worcester hospital is like that, queuing up in an ambulance then on a trolly in the corridor for hours. A couple of people have died waiting to be seen.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 06:43 PM

That is just dire. Hope you recover quickly, Swimmy.

Hope you wife's results are all clear, Besoeker.

I am a happy bunny - just been discharged from the dressing clinic. Wound is healing well and they agree I am more than capable of looking after it now.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We have heard from ST and the Thing

Saturday lunchtime I finished my Antibiotics, Sunday evening things had flared up again badly.

I did as told by the hospital and rang for an ambulance.

Explained everything and read out the instructions from my discharge letter.

The 999 operator was miles away, where? she asked.

Shrewsbury is not that small is it?

She then had to check.

We are busy, we have to prioritise, it will be about an hour.

An hour passed, then 2 Paramedics arrived, in an estate car.

In they came, looked at the problem, showed them the discharge letter, took some obs, you need to go in now, we will get you an ambulance.

The pair of them stayed with me, kept ringing but it was an hour and twenty minutes before an ambulance arrived.

Twenty five minutes to the Hospital.

The unloading area was packed with Emergency Ambulances .
Unloaded on the trolley then into the Hospital.

There is a new system called the Pit Stop.

This is where patients are logged in and the ambulance crew released to go back on duty.

There was a queue to get into the Pit Stop.

Seven patients in front of us on trollies, each one with the ambulance staff with them.

Lined up in the corridor, we moved forward in the line, one by one.

Then eventually into the Pit Stop.

Not the end of the line, six bays, patients still on ambulance trollies, five in front.

Important to remember, these were urgent, not Minors, broken bones etc went into a separate system.

Our Turn, slid across from ambulance trolley to hospital trolley.

Ambulance staff still had to stay there for 10 minutes to do handover.

Two Nurses in the Pit Stop, both Foreign, knew their stuff.

Triaged, oral morphene and other stuff, attached to a minitor.

I was in there for around 40 minutes then movement.

Into Casualty?

Nope, into a corridor to wait my turn.

After some hours, I joke not, eventually moved onto a trolley into an acute room in the Actual Casualty Department.

Two foreign agency nurses, based in London, working in Shrewsbury short term, being put up in a B&B.

More morphine.

Told I was now in Casualty proper, but a 5 to 8 hour wait to see a Doctor.

I was actually seen after 4 hours, scans and tests organised then on a wait for a bed.

It took from 9pm Sunday evening until I finally got a proper bed on a Ward at 11.30 Monday morning.

To be fair, then things did take off, saw 3 Consultants within 2 hours, all tests done, loads of medication and drips.

Released lunchtime today, 2 weeks worth of medication, then back for a checkup.

Our NHS is a mess.
I say Shrowsbury, some say Shrewsbury, and there seems to be a disproportionate number of geordies working at these call centres.

... wishing you well Swimmy.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 07:45 PM

Hi Swims how are you doing ?
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Get rid of illegal immigrants and fast turnaround of so called asylum seekers and so called asylum seekers once refused and end foreign aid.

Millions fewer people predating on us and in addition save FOURTEEN BILLION POUNDS of our taxes being sent overseas and MILLIONS OF PEOPLE retuned overseas.

It's hardly rocket science.

Tax relief on private medicine insurance and treatment would also help.
Totally agree mate..
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 08:42 PM

What a nightmare. Hope you are now getting the right treatment Swim.

There are a number of problems - they cannot recruit staff to work in some areas. They need staff from overseas to fill the gaps. The brexit political uncertainty, Hunt's junior doctor's contract fiasco, the consultant hours dispute and the mess Lansley left behind with the health and social care act are not helping to attract people. On top of this you now have masses of CCG mergers being proposed. That will just cause more chaos. Basic message is that the tories cannot be trusted with the NHS.

They cannot free up beds because they have made a mess of social care. They cannot recruit because they cannot sort out the Brexit skilled immigration message or give anyone who wants to come to work here any certainty. They got rid of the nursing bursary. They have a massive recruitment gap. The whole system is being destroyed. It's tragic.

Any suggestions of a US style insurance are totally ignorant. That would just lead to more financial gaming and a huge rise in costs. You need a government whose heart is in it and the tories do not have a heart.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top