Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 06:09 PM

down pipe connecter to water butt fixed

The above is in several parts. The gutter downpipe- the top of the connector - the bottom of the connector which screws into the top half- the ribbed hose to the butt and the pipe which takes the water away ( white pipe white)

so what happens is the water from the gutter is diverted into the ribbed butt pipe until the water butt is full then goes away as normal in this case the white pipe

Mr bodge it had his hand in it and sodded it all up. he obviously could not do a simple job correctly, even down to pipe size.

First of all instead of having it as in the photo to get it like that he had partially unscrewed the bottom halve of the connector to get it in position (in line with the main discharge pipe behind the greenhouse) ,so it was loose and,water escaping though the joints

Not only that but the pipes being different sizes he had made up the difference with plumbers mate paste and then taped it all up.

It was the biggest crap work I have ever seen

Right now to put it all as should have been, and what a struggle to remove the bodge

this is what i had to cut away before i could even start the repair properly, part of.

Ok so what I used to make up the size difference was I cut a piece of roof flashing tape, (amazing what I keep in the workshop). had to think hard what to use at first.

Ok everything cleaned up so putting it all back together

taped around both ends of the white pipe with the strip of flashing tape and put all together, use made a fantastic tight fitting ,then insulating tape around them so nothing moved.

finally reconnected ribbed hose to butt and the down pipe and overflow (white)

Now water going into butt as it should and hopefully fill up quite quickly
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 01:11 PM

Re: down pipe connecter to water butt fixed

Gripping Stuff! That flashing tape.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by ez rider ->
gripping stuff! That flashing tape.
👍 😀 .....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 01:23 PM

yes made a far neater job than that mess made by whoever.
On the samish subject I had managed to link 2 gutters together for a bigger flow into the butt when it rains
Simple job 2 right angle gutter sections and a short link piece and retaining screw to hold in right position. That was beyond the capabilities of the previous owner so it seems

also put stop end on other end and get to slope the other way. oH he could not even match the gutter colours

One of the many joys of putting right errors by a complete PRATT

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top