Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 02:34 PM

Re: Should Aspirin Be Given A Repreive?

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Ron matey, Ibruprofen contains Aspirin. Aspirin (Salycilic acid) is known to cause digestive problems - like stomach ulcers. Long term use of Aspirin can cause or exacerbate such problem.
Joe, me old pal, me old beauty, brace yourself, Ibuprofen contains... wait for it... Ibuprofen.

Like Aspirin Ibuprofen can cause stomach bleeding and might even be worse than aspirin in this regard and should never be taken on an empty stomach. However unlike aspirin ibuprofen has been implicated in hypertension and heart attack.

How do I know? I take Brufen which is a higher dose ibuprofen tablet for its anti inflammatory properties (as well as a mild painkiller)
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
This is what puzzles me. It sometimes feels that all the things that are hailed as bad for us (even inviting death if we use them) were all routinely used by todays pensioners throughout their lifetime and yet we hear that there are more eldery people now than there has ever been - why haven't they all died off due to taking aspirin, eating fat of every variety, cakes and biscuits galore, living through smog and all with a very basic health service back then?
Perhaps something in those diets or conditions protected them ? We are encouraged to eat differently these days an smog is unknown. I know I would have died off several years ago as would my husband with out modern medicines. Sometimes now it feels we are living despite them but there is no doubt they have saved our lives.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by lowfiron ->
I take aspirin pretty frequently, not every day, on average every other day. I also take ibuprofen regularly, a bit more frequently than the aspirin. I have osteoarthritis.
I'm a carpenter, retired but still doing little jobs here and there. I've taken both aspirin and ibuprofen regularly since the early 2000s. I've discussed this with my doctor and he does not seem too concerned. What do you think Pats?
Are you able to tell me why you take asprin lowfiron and what dose?

I understand why you would be taking Iboprufen as an anti-inflamatory for your OA.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 03:34 PM

This is what puzzles me. It sometimes feels that all the things that are hailed as bad for us (even inviting death if we use them) were all routinely used by todays pensioners throughout their lifetime and yet we hear that there are more eldery people now than there has ever been - why haven't they all died off due to taking aspirin, eating fat of every variety, cakes and biscuits galore, living through smog and all with a very basic health service back then?
I know - it is a puzzle - I've come to the conclusion - its how yer made ... Some of us suffer, while others can eat drink and take all sorts of medication - no problem ....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
I know - it is a puzzle - I've come to the conclusion - its how yer made ... Some of us suffer, while others can eat drink and take all sorts of medication - no problem ....
I am much more cynical Pats and suspect that modern life with all its chemical additives and polluted air (and I am highly sceptical about chlorinating tap water and other chemicals (namely liquified chlorine, fluorosilicic acid, aluminium sulphate, calcium hydroxide, sodium silicofluoride) will be more to blame than anything else but I doubt that would come out until alterntives are found first.

Thankfully, scientists are now challenging those additives: 'Many prominent scientists are alarmed by the content of some drinking water and actively seek to change the processes involved. The practice of making water safe to drink actually involves adding large amounts of extremely poisonous chemicals to it. Key scientists are now providing evidence that long-term ingestion of small amounts of chemicals like these could be the cause of some major health problems.'

http://freshlysqueezedwater.org.uk/w...tercontent.php

I think when you add all these modern pollutants together, that's where many ailments will have come from.
lowfiron
Ojai, CA, USA
lowfiron is male  lowfiron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 06:02 PM

"Ibuprofen (INN) (/ˈaɪbjuːproʊfɛn/ or /aɪbjuːˈproʊfən/ EYE-bew-PROH-fən; from iso-butyl-propanoic-phenolic acid) is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) used for pain relief, fever reduction,[1] and for reducing swelling.
Ibuprofen has an antiplatelet effect, though relatively mild and somewhat short-lived compared with aspirin or prescription antiplatelet drugs. In general, ibuprofen also has a vasodilation effect.[2] Ibuprofen is a 'core' medicine in the World Health Organization's Model List of Essential Medicines necessary to meet the minimum medical needs of a basic healthcare system.[3][4][5][6]

Ibuprofen was derived from propanoic acid by the research arm of Boots Group during the 1960s[7] and patented in 1961. Originally marketed as Brufen, ibuprofen is available under a variety of popular trademarks, including Motrin, Nurofen, Advil, Nuprin and many others.[8] Generic formulations are available as well"
from wiki. I knew about the stomach problems. Is there an alternative? I guess I could try naproxen.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 06:09 PM

I am much more cynical Pats and suspect that modern life with all its chemical additives and polluted air (and I am highly sceptical about chlorinating tap water and other chemicals (namely liquified chlorine, fluorosilicic acid, aluminium sulphate, calcium hydroxide, sodium silicofluoride) will be more to blame than anything else but I doubt that would come out until alterntives are found first.

Thankfully, scientists are now challenging those additives: 'Many prominent scientists are alarmed by the content of some drinking water and actively seek to change the processes involved. The practice of making water safe to drink actually involves adding large amounts of extremely poisonous chemicals to it. Key scientists are now providing evidence that long-term ingestion of small amounts of chemicals like these could be the cause of some major health problems.'

http://freshlysqueezedwater.org.uk/w...tercontent.php

I think when you add all these modern pollutants together, that's where many ailments will have come from.
I agree with you - its amazing that some of us 'can' endure the chemicals well ... Wish I was made like that ....
As for water, I think about what you say everytime I take some - truly, cant avoid it tho' can we.....
lowfiron
Ojai, CA, USA
lowfiron is male  lowfiron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 06:12 PM

I checked it out and ibuprofen is better because of side effects in my case.
And as far as osteoarthritis is concerned, it was my occupation not the water.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 12:08 AM

Not a single chemical passes my lips unless it's been prescribe
by my doctor. I take medication to keep my blood pressure under control and that is all.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
Not a single chemical passes my lips unless it's been prescribe
by my doctor. I take medication to keep my blood pressure under control and that is all.
Not even dihydrogen monoxide?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top