Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 06:25 PM

Re: Do You Ever Cook Yourself A ‘School Dinner’?

The trouble with having a school dinner at home is that my wife gets annoyed when I stuff the cabbage in the water jug.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 09:39 PM

We all took our own lunches to school Artangel. There was no such thing as a school lunch.
My dad used to make our sandwiches for lunch. Some of the best Sarmie’s I’ve ever had. I miss him so very much. He was a great hardworking dad! Best daddy in the world!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 09:42 PM

I used to make a variation of the steamed jam roly-poly pudding when the grandkids used to stay. My version was a baked treacle roll which is basically a suet pastry rolled out thinly, some warmed treacle spread across the pastry and fresh breadcrumbs sprinkled all over. The whole thing was then rolled up, Swiss Roll style, placed on a baking sheet and cooked until well risen and brown and crispy on the outside. The treacle was soaked up by the breadcrumbs during the cooking process to make a nice thick treacly layer. Served with thick custard.

I'm hungry now.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Muddy, I thought how nice Gypsy Tart sounded. I hope Bruce gives us the recipe, then you can make it for Mr Muddy! I bet he’d love that.
I can't remember the recipe but I just searched for it on the Internet so it shouldn't be too hard to find. I know it involved evaporated milk as the main ingredient in a pastry shell. It was very simple to do - well it had to be for school dinners eh?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I remember an elderly lady said, when she gave her cat the leftover meat from her ‘meals on wheels’ minced beef pie. The cat flatly refused to eat it!
A bit suspicious, don’t you think?
Luckily, we didn't have a cat then and I refused nothing.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Gipsy tart sounds something like Mr M is always remembering as his favourite school pudding . I will have to give it a go.
This is the recipe I use for Gypsy Tart:-

https://www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk...rts/gypsy-tart
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
We all took our own lunches to school Artangel. There was no such thing as a school lunch.
My dad used to make our sandwiches for lunch. Some of the best Sarmie’s I’ve ever had. I miss him so very much. He was a great hardworking dad! Best daddy in the world!
Minx, Your dad does sound like a good man.

Tomatoes aren’t the best thing to have in your sandwiches. They sort of acquire a different taste and texture after so many hours between two slices of bread and butter!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I used to make a variation of the steamed jam roly-poly pudding when the grandkids used to stay. My version was a baked treacle roll which is basically a suet pastry rolled out thinly, some warmed treacle spread across the pastry and fresh breadcrumbs sprinkled all over. The whole thing was then rolled up, Swiss Roll style, placed on a baking sheet and cooked until well risen and brown and crispy on the outside. The treacle was soaked up by the breadcrumbs during the cooking process to make a nice thick treacly layer. Served with thick custard.

I'm hungry now.
People seem to adore steamed puddings. I don’t like them at all. My ex partner always asked me to make him a steamed pudding.
Judd, I always get the impression you’re a good cook. Are you self taught?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

02-03-2021, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
This is the recipe I use for Gypsy Tart:-

https://www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk...rts/gypsy-tart
ST, l bet a few on here will be pleased to see the recipe you’ve posted. Thank You.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

02-03-2021, 08:03 PM

I was thinking of more school puddings l didn’t like then....

Tapioca, semolina, ?sago?, coconut cake type puddings, stewed prunes, stewed plums, anything with dried fruit. Yet, l eat plums and custard now but l can’t eat them fresh. I can also eat things with dried fruit in them now.

I can’t remember which pudding was ‘frog spawn’?

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top