Join for free
Page 5 of 19 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2020, 01:24 AM

Re: A new tier 4

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Yes, I've heard this before about our eyes Annie, so that means a mask only half protects us, no matter how fancy the design.
Only if you were unlucky (in the past). If someone sneezes very close and you have no visor or glasses then yes you can contract it from your eye membranes. My theory is that is how it can get to the brain. Happened to a friend who was helping in a homeless shelter. He had a mask but no visor.

I've taken to using both a visor and mask in shops recently. With this "variant" strain we can't take any chances and the visors are cheap and not uncomfortable. With all the Tier 4 escapees the variant will spread to the whole country.

If everyone wore a mask (and properly) then sneezing would not be so damaging. If you wear glasses normally then there is some protection.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2020, 01:34 AM

Good idea about the visor and mask. The receptionists at my vets wear both, but it does make it very hard to understand what someone is saying through two layers.
Think I might do that though because of this new strain, I have got a visor in the car.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2020, 01:43 AM

This whole palaver is making communication so difficult. I went to give the dustmen a Christmas tip. The dustman was so grateful and happy and I realised I'd forgotten the dratted mask. But it was outside and so nice to be able to smile and talk naturally and have someone respond to a smile which is hidden behind the weird masking. Kicked myself afterwards for a while though thinking I was crazy to take such a risk with the vaccine so close...OMG we are going nuts!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2020, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
This whole palaver is making communication so difficult. I went to give the dustmen a Christmas tip. The dustman was so grateful and happy and I realised I'd forgotten the dratted mask. But it was outside and so nice to be able to smile and talk naturally and have someone respond to a smile which is hidden behind the weird masking. Kicked myself afterwards for a while though thinking I was crazy to take such a risk with the vaccine so close...OMG we are going nuts!

Easily done in just a moment without thinking Annie, try not to worry about something you can't alter now.

I wonder how long the gap is usually, between infection and symptoms showing?
Perhaps its different for different people though?
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2020, 02:06 AM

It certainly makes you wonder how the UK managed to get through WW II. The country being bombed from the air, supply ships from the US carrying essential supplies, food, clothing, petrol, being sunk by German submarines, rationing and here we are, 2020 and in the grip of a pandemic, the government trying it's best under extremely very difficult circumstances and made all the more difficult because many of the UK's public are sticking two fingers up at the governments restrictions saying 'F You' and then these same people wonder why the virus is still spreading.

The only thing I would say is that the test used to check for convid-19 needs to be rechecked because the country is now in the winter flu period where thousand's of people die from the winter flu each year so how many of these positive convid-19 tests are actually the winter flu because don't forget, the winter flu is a coronavirus, just a different strain and the winter flu virus has EXACTLY the same symptoms as convid-19, is just that convid-19 is more deadly.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2020, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Easily done in just a moment without thinking Annie, try not to worry about something you can't alter now.

I wonder how long the gap is usually, between infection and symptoms showing?
Perhaps its different for different people though?
The gap from being infected varies, depending on the source. The NHS, SAGE and WHO all have different figures, one says 3 days symptoms start to show, others say 2 weeks.

The biggest problem now is the winter flu because convid-19 symptoms are exactly the same as the winter flu. Therefore when you get a cough, a sore throat, a headache and a fever, is it the winter flu or is it convid-19?.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

20-12-2020, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
It certainly makes you wonder how the UK managed to get through WW II. The country being bombed from the air, supply ships from the US carrying essential supplies, food, clothing, petrol, being sunk by German submarines, rationing and here we are, 2020 and in the grip of a pandemic, the government trying it's best under extremely very difficult circumstances and made all the more difficult because many of the UK's public are sticking two fingers up at the governments restrictions saying 'F You' and then these same people wonder why the virus is still spreading.

The only thing I would say is that the test used to check for convid-19 needs to be rechecked because the country is now in the winter flu period where thousand's of people die from the winter flu each year so how many of these positive convid-19 tests are actually the winter flu because don't forget, the winter flu is a coronavirus, just a different strain and the winter flu virus has EXACTLY the same symptoms as convid-19, is just that convid-19 is more deadly.

Winter flu is caused by the influenza virus. Covid is a coronavirus like SARs. Flu is not a coronavirus.

It's odd that people are comparing Covid to flu when SARs and MERs were seen as distinct.

They were talking of having flu tests recently as a way to rule out flu from early Covid. Many serious illnesses also report "flu like symptoms".

Some have said Covid is a disease of the blood. It can make the blood thick with clots.

https://khn.org/news/clots-strokes-a...blood-vessels/

"In a study published this summer, Li and an international team of researchers compared the lung tissues of people who died of COVID-19 with those of people who died of influenza. They found stark differences: The lung tissues of the COVID victims had nine times as many tiny blood clots (“microthrombi”) as those of the influenza victims, and the coronavirus-infected lungs also exhibited “severe endothelial injury.”

“The surprise was that this respiratory virus makes a beeline for the cells lining blood vessels, filling them up like a gumball machine and shredding the cell from the inside out,” Li said. “We found blood vessels are blocked and blood clots are forming because of that lining damage.”"

The best way to avoid confusion is to have a flu vaccination. Record numbers have already done that this year. So it's less likely we will have a flu epidemic on top of covid.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

20-12-2020, 03:40 AM

The gap from being infected varies, depending on the source. The NHS, SAGE and WHO all have different figures, one says 3 days symptoms start to show, others say 2 weeks.

The biggest problem now is the winter flu because convid-19 symptoms are exactly the same as the winter flu. Therefore when you get a cough, a sore throat, a headache and a fever, is it the winter flu or is it convid-19?.
Most people develop symptoms in three days. That's why they shortened the quarantine period to 7 days.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2020, 03:44 AM

It's called "The Cummings Effect":

Politics, trust, and behaviours during the COVID-19 pandemic

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...690-1/fulltext

On May 22, 2020, The Guardian and Daily Mirror newspapers in the UK published details of how Dominic Cummings, senior aide to the British prime minister, had broken lockdown rules by travelling 420 km to a family estate with his wife (who had suspected COVID-19) and child. Although some other officials and senior figures had also broken the lockdown rules, this transgression was the first to not immediately be followed by an apology and resignation. The event prompted media condemnation, with concerns about transparency, accountability, and equality, and many scientists spoke out about the effect of Cummings' actions and the UK Government's defence of Cummings in undermining essential public health messaging.

It is only now, however, with the benefit of hindsight provided by systematic data, that we can see these negative effects in stark detail. New analyses of 220 755 surveys from 40 597 individuals in England, Scotland, and Wales, completed between April 24 and June 11, 2020, as part of University College London's COVID-19 Social Study, show that these events undermined confidence in the government to handle the pandemic specifically.
Dodge
Kent, UK

20-12-2020, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
It's called "The Cummings Effect":

Politics, trust, and behaviours during the COVID-19 pandemic

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...690-1/fulltext

I agree, even today when talking about the restrictions with my work colleagues, some of them refer back to the incident of Cummings and that the fact the government kept finding excuses to not punish him and that is why they will not follow government guidance or trust the government.

The ONLY reason some of my work colleagues are following government guidance is because if they don't and they bring the virus into work which puts the health and safety of the rest of us at risk, it's classed as gross misconduct and thus an instant dismissal.

Page 5 of 19 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top